Cornwalls for near-field listening- excellent!

tube fanatic

You can laugh all you want. The soundstage was wider than where the speakers were placed. Spooky the way they disappeared. They just worked that way in my room, but I had to rearrange for the tv to go between them and it really isn't as good. The new house will probably not be any better, but life, as in things audio, is a compromise.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

A guy down the road has two pairs of CWIIs, so he decided to set up one pair as a dedicated 2 channel near-field system (6 foot equilateral triangle) driven by his Rogue Stereo 90 in triode mode which is fed by mono passive line attenuators and switchable high frequency filters (for recordings which cause "ear bleed".) I have to say it was impressive with pinpoint imaging and a huge soundstage. My concern was that the sound would lose some coherence due to the spacing between the woofer and the other drivers, but it didn't prove out. For fun, we even tried a little 350 mw/channel SET that I've been prototyping for another CW owner who is interested in near-field listening, and it was capable of playing loudly and cleanly enough to drive me out of the room! I'll have to go back and actually measure how much power is needed for a given spl; it's going to be extremely low! Just posting this in case anyone has wanted to try such an arrangement but was hesitant. It works, and works well!

Maynard

I'm working on my "poor man's hifi" system and the room I have to work with is going to make nearfield listening of cornwalls the only real solution. I'd love to see pictures of his setup.

I'm working on my "poor man's hifi" system and the room I have to work with is going to make nearfield listening of cornwalls the only real solution. I'd love to see pictures of his setup.

I have plans to get together with him during Christmas week and will try to snap some photos for you then...

Maynard

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got my Cornwalls now. Listening position is against rear wall, but that allows me to pull the speakers out from the wall by about 2ft. 6ft triangle, with Outer corners of each speaker toed in by 5in.

Sounds fantastic. I think I like the "front row" presentation from this type of setup.. Great imaging, nice balance between the drivers, and plenty of bass.

So I've got my Cornwalls now. Listening position is against rear wall, but that allows me to pull the speakers out from the wall by about 2ft. 6ft triangle, with Outer corners of each speaker toed in by 5in.

Sounds fantastic. I think I like the "front row" presentation from this type of setup.. Great imaging, nice balance between the drivers, and plenty of bass.

Glad you are enjoying it! You can also "tune" the bottom end response and soundstage size by moving your listening position a few inches closer to the speakers, if that's possible. I'm finding that even 2" has an effect on both. One of the recent converts to near-field has the speakers 6' apart, but listens at 5' from the center line between them. Trying that here gives the soundstage an almost wrap around effect which is very involving. Unfortunately, the "boss" won't let me keep the chair in that spot unless I'm actually listening! The power requirements for near-field with CWs, etc., are so low as to be almost absurd. Klipsch would do well to develop an advertising strategy for the Heritage Series, and many of the Reference Line speakers, which makes this point. I think many would be quite interested if they only knew that loud levels can be attained with true flea-power amps.

Maynard

I'm working on my "poor man's hifi" system and the room I have to work with is going to make nearfield listening of cornwalls the only real solution

Hey Thaddeus, no such thing as a poor man's hifi, I remember when I had a Capehart system. It was cheap but I enjoyed the crap out it, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

I'm working on my "poor man's hifi" system and the room I have to work with is going to make nearfield listening of cornwalls the only real solution

Hey Thaddeus, no such thing as a poor man's hifi, I remember when I had a Capehart system. It was cheap but I enjoyed the crap out it, lol.

I have a 21 month old and wife is pregnant. I have a clay shooting hobby to support and a 30 yr old house under constant renovations. As such, I traded a pistol for my Cornwalls.. My amp will end up being less than $100 when all finished, unraid nas is a bunch of cobbled pc parts that does double duty as a MAME arcade, and my transport is a 2009 MacBook Pro. Sounds superb, but no fancy badges or traditional audiophile brands exist in my system. So I guess that's why I dubbed it the poor man's hifi ;)

My interconnects are fancy vampire wire sc IV quad silver/copper cables, so I've got that going for me! When it's all said and done though, I'm sure enjoying the system and it far exceeds the setups my friends are ALLOWED to have by their wives.

Glad you are enjoying it! You can also "tune" the bottom end response and soundstage size by moving your listening position a few inches closer to the speakers, if that's possible. I'm finding that even 2" has an effect on both. One of the recent converts to near-field has the speakers 6' apart, but listens at 5' from the center line between them. Trying that here gives the soundstage an almost wrap around effect which is very involving. Unfortunately, the "boss" won't let me keep the chair in that spot unless I'm actually listening! The power requirements for near-field with CWs, etc., are so low as to be almost absurd. Klipsch would do well to develop an advertising strategy for the Heritage Series, and many of the Reference Line speakers, which makes this point. I think many would be quite interested if they only knew that loud levels can be attained with true flea-power amps.

Maynard

I'm definitely going to have tinker. I've got about 9' linear ft to work with in any given direction and don't have to worry about my chair being in the middle of walk space. I started out with the traditional near field setup and it's a great start for sure. Current amp is 20w into 4ohms and I'll be soon testing one that is 15w into 4ohms. Plenty of power!

• 1 month later...