Questions about la scala an hersey speakers

JHEMI

post-57582-0-69060000-1384566115_thumb.jI am trying to sell a pair of la scala and hersey speakers for my father in law to settle an estate. I really don't know the value of these speakers. I put them on ebay for $1800.00, but that was obviously too high. Someone is stopping by to look at them Sunday so if anyone could give me a fair value to ask it would be helpful. The speakers have some dings in the wood, but they sound great.

Thanks,

post-57582-0-09780000-1384566349_thumb.j

post-57582-0-40140000-1384566403_thumb.j

post-57582-0-52580000-1384567076_thumb.j

post-57582-0-51420000-1384567132_thumb.j

Edited by JHEMI

The price really varies by location and condition... I picked up a pair made in 1978 for $500 that were in about the same condition as those but mine were black (a couple of weeks ago). I recently saw a pair that were in worse condition than mine go for $1k, while someone else is having a hard time selling a pair in good condition for $900 a pair.

Edited by ellisr63

Unfortunately, because there are chunks of wood missing, they need a total refinish, so it is the same as them being really beat up. If the Heresys are in the same shape they will need the same treatment. There is a beautiful pair of La Scalas locally that cannot fetch $800. Really nice ones can go as high as $1000 or $1100 if they are really nice, but these have not moved.

If this is an estate sale, you also need to be able to move quickly, List is all for $1000 but be willing take less, maybe $300 for the Heresys and $500 to $600 for the La Scalas. Sorry, they look decent in the pick from far, but they need some serious restoration work to fix them up. The "dings" are actually deep gouges and chunks missing. The refinishing is really time consuming and expensive, and all of the wood needs to match.

On the plus side, the crossovers in each pair of speakers will be easy to restore, just some caps needed. The "AA's" are good ones.

FYI: The amp in the background has the nickname "Flame Linear" because of some fires. Don't know what it is worth. I think Bob Carver designed it.

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

Have you considered keeping the speakers? They sound good, and you don't have to go get them. You know their price now, so they're not that expensive for what you get. If the blemishes don't bother you, they could be keepers.

To my mind, the actual value of La Scalas is higher than their usual prices, because of the listening pleasure they can give you.

They are big, but after a few weeks in your room, they'll seem like they belong there, and start to look like they're the right size.

Some would suggest that I bought my speakers while blindfolded, but I would buy these for said prices if closer.

You might want to check these out since they are in your area and he will deliver...

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/ele/4171865047.html

The ad says $1000 each. He will be sitting on these for a long time.

It says $1500 for the pair and he will deliver for free.

Some would suggest that I bought my speakers while blindfolded, but I would buy these for said prices if closer.

You might want to check these out since they are in your area and he will deliver...

I didn't see that. The market must be much stronger in California if these are worth $1500.

I didn't see that. The market must be much stronger in California if these are worth $1500.

Yeah they are a little high out here...If I was to buy them I would offer him less and see what I could get them for.