My New Tube Amp from ampsandsound

bracurrie

Thanks man!.. I woke up and put bob marly on the 2nd upstairs rig with the 2way cornscals... your plywood horns! Watching the little one dance to it :-).

Off to the pound to convince the wife its time for a puppy.

Now you have gone and done it. A canine companion for a family with small children is a commitment. Only advice (from a person who has over the last 25 years of family life had 8 dogs) CRATE train CRATE train CRATE train.

:o :o :o:o OMG, its not point to point with VCaps and silver wire? :o:o :o :o

Instead I see quality work, nice layout, Transcendar Iron and "Made in USA"

I see the same exact thing.

Yeah, a guy can source the PCBs, and do it himself...but Justin is going out of his way to do all the legwork, sourcing, and assembling everything into a nice looking package with a wood base. And quality iron to boot. You figure once you source the PCBs, and the parts, and the time involved to put something somewhat attractive together, you might be better off to pay Justin to do it for you.

Nothing wrong with the use of PCBs, either. Makes for a quick build, and I doubt there is any sound quality differences. Along as the PCB is well designed for the circuit in mind. A local retired audio engineer brought up the PCB option once on a visit. Mentions to me about PCB circuits of like Marantz tube preamplifiers and other topologies he picks up from China or elsewhere. Quality PC boards, some are pre-stuffed.

Stuff the board, put it in a case, and you are good to go. Quicker than PTP, and cheap too. He couldn't tell any differences in sound quality...and I think one shouldn't tell, if done right.

I know your just joshin about the point to point thing, but I happen to like doing PTP work. I just like the layout process of doing it. I take forever to do it, but I do it for myself and am in no rush.

All that said... love what I do. I do wish I had more dedicated time to family and ampsandsound. As they say, all things in time :-).

Take one other bit of advice from an "old guy " who has been there. Make your family the priority and dedicate your time to them before anything else. If you don't, you will always regret it! Your child will only be 21 months old once, and you won't do her or your wife any good if you literally work yourself to death. When she's 21 years old you don't want her to look back and wonder why her dad was never around when she needed him. I've seen that happen too many times over the years.

Maynard

Guest David H
All that said... love what I do. I do wish I had more dedicated time to family and ampsandsound. As they say, all things in time :-).

Take one other bit of advice from an "old guy " who has been there. Make your family the priority and dedicate your time to them before anything else. If you don't, you will always regret it! Your child will only be 21 months old once, and you won't do her or your wife any good if you literally work yourself to death. When she's 21 years old you don't want her to look back and wonder why her dad was never around when she needed him. I've seen that happen too many times over the years.

Maynard

Perfect advise!

Totally agree. I go through periods where I turn down work and I do not bend over backwards for high maintenance or rude customers. The idea is to enjoy yourself while you make a little extra for your family - you do not want to be a slave to your soldering iron and workroom.

I see nothing wrong with upping the quality of the coupling caps if asked. It will make a nice difference in these already very nicely built products. The values are small and very affordable - polystyrene sounds excellent.