Possible small power amps for La Scalas in HT

NBPK402

I just picked up one of these to try out... If it works out I might just get 5 more, and call it a day. When I opened the box I was very impressed as to the build quality, it has a nice machined aluminum front faceplate and it is very compact.

Edited by ellisr63

Think you will find it is geared for things like computer speakers. If you buy 5 of them your "amp" will weigh 10 lbs.

In another thread there is a guy that was using the "D" chip amps and compared them to a tube amp. I was hoping these might fare as well.

They might surprise you on how well they perform. I just can't see an amp with that small of a power supply and caps to be able to handle the demands of HT.

Most HT's use bass management and cut lows from the speakers. With a sub to do the heavy listening I'd think the amps would do better in HT than 2 channel.

• Like 1

I have tried a couple of Topping amps with high hopes, but was disappointed. The small one had no bass, and the biggest one they make (50 wpc) was very 2 dimensional sounding. They do seem solidly built, but I guess they really don't have what it takes on the inside.

• Like 1

I have tried a couple of Topping amps with high hopes, but was disappointed. The small one had no bass, and the biggest one they make (50 wpc) was very 2 dimensional sounding. They do seem solidly built, but I guess they really don't have what it takes on the inside.

So which ones were good?

There you go.

So which ones were good?

None. There was a nice clarity with my La Scalas with one one of the small 15 wpc Toppings, but as said above no bass, The big Topping (TP60) was a total fail. Tried it with my K-horns on a whim back in December (got a good price from Amazon) and it lasted only a couple of min. If have never heard the system sound more lifeless.

So which ones were good?

None. There was a nice clarity with my La Scalas with one one of the small 15 wpc Toppings, but as said above no bass, The big Topping (TP60) was a total fail. Tried it with my K-horns on a whim back in December (got a good price from Amazon) and it lasted only a couple of min. If have never heard the system sound more lifeless.

So the "D" chip amps are better?

So which ones were good?

So the "D" chip amps are better?

There are any number of amps that sound better than the Topping amps. While I was taking things apart to try the TP60 I threw in an old 70s vintage HK receiver and it blew away the Topping. But yes, my current fav. is the class D Pioneer. I have not heard better in my system and am not really looking for better in the amp department. I think at this level it is more a mater of trade offs than actual improvement. There are other adjustment I can make that will have a greater effect than "upgrading" from the Pioneer.

Yes, they cut lows but they don't cut them out entirely. 80Hz I would think is still demanding on an amp.

High passed at 80Hz, HT mains (especially La Scala) will be lucky to see 2 V at reference levels.

Sub takes the hand-off down there from the summed output of all the channels.

What I am trying to do is come up with a 12 channel amp that would consume almost no A/C... I figured a 25wpc or smaller amp should do the job with reserves. What do you think I should do?

Buy a Pioneer with D3 and call it a wrap.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

What I am trying to do is come up with a 12 channel amp that would consume almost no A/C... I figured a 25wpc or smaller amp should do the job with reserves. What do you think I should do?

First buy a good tube amp, the bigger the better, there fixed that for you, and your ears will be happy.

Next power this amp with a solar array, the bigger the better, there fixed that for you, now your wallet will be happy. and 'NO' A/C, Zero, Nada.

Sorry, this just looked like fun, 12 channels you say? are you trying to cut power cost or what ?

Edited by minermark

First buy a good tube amp, the bigger the better, there fixed that for you, and your ears will be happy.

Next power this amp with a solar array, the bigger the better, there fixed that for you, now your wallet will be happy. and 'NO' A/C, Zero, Nada.

Sorry, this just looked like fun, 12 channels you say? are you trying to cut power cost or what ?

Yes I am trying to cut power consumption... Our Denon 4520 draws 1 amp just turning it on. Now granted with the Klipsch it doesn't go up from there but I believe a AVP with a minimal power 12 channel amp would cut it down maybe in half or more.

Yes I am trying to cut power consumption... Our Denon 4520 draws 1 amp just turning it on. Now granted with the Klipsch it doesn't go up from there but I believe a AVP with a minimal power 12 channel amp would cut it down maybe in half or more.

Parts express sells a lot of this type, I see them in their flyers all the time, might be worth a look see.