pay as you go

T2K

I have had service for 2 cell phones for years. I needed them primarily for work. Since I got tired of working and subsequently quit a few months ago, and the monthly charge keeps inching upwards monthly, I cancelled my service.

In an effort to get further off the grid than I already am I want to buy an inexpensive throw down type phone and purchase minutes as I need them. I don't care for anything other than voice service. I have no experience with pay-as-you-go cell phones and would like to hear of experiences or knowledge regarding this type of service and how this type of service works. Do I just go buy a phone at wallymark and buy minutes?

Any knowledgeable comments are greatly appreciated.

Keith

I hate cell phone companies. I have T mobile and hate them, but after unlocking my phone I found out that I can only use it on T Mobile or AT&T.

FWIW, the Sprint "Framily" plan will provide smartphone service for $25 each if we are able to get ten people to switch to sprint. This is separate billing. I think that 6 people is the minimum to get discounts. I am game if there are others. Need to buy a phone but that will pay for itself in short order. I'd love to reduce my bill.

I've bought minutes for my dad for several years now. $100 gets you 1000 minutes which last him about a year. So that works out to be a screaming deal for him. ATT is who it's through. I gave him the phone so that was free. He has a phone for under $10 a month.

I had been on Verizon for a long time, but when I was going to travel to the Philippines, I bought a gsm phone (unlocked) and then went to AT&T and got a GoPhone plan. Before I left the country, I got a SIM card from one of the Philippine phone carriers. When I got off the plane in Manila, I had the phone on and my GF called me. All incoming calls are friend on the Globe or Smart cards, and outgoing calls weren't too ba either. A lot cheaper than the $3.00 a minute that most were charging for international roaming.

Now I'm totally on AT&T (hate them all), but my service is more reliable than it was with Verizon.

If you need a number at home, get a Google Talk number and get one of the Obi 100 or 110. They are cheap ...

Bruce

i use the verizon pay as you go service, 50.00 unlimited talk / text/ web, phone was under 30.00 i much prefer this over the contracts and i have had just as good of coverage with the pay as you go

Is that for a smartphone?

If not, do you miss any features?

What phone is it?

they have smart phones available but i just have the old flip phone, wish i could help more

Joe