Frustrated and a Little Fearful

lynnm

Jeez,

This has absolutely nothing to do with audio but let me vent an opinion.

There have been those who were upset that certain threads were too personal, there were those who where upset that the opinions expressed were too edgy for them, and now we have the post because a thread is a non-audio related topic.

So what. Why is it these complained-about threads receive the most views and often the most posts? We are all here because we love Klipsch; can we not have any other interest or point of view we would share with our fellow Klipsch breathren?

How interesting would it be if we stuck strictly to the Klipsch myopia? How many times can you read "Dude, the Cornwalls are bitchin man. They rock." and be entertained? How many times can you read "7 identical speakers provide the best surround sound experience" before you lose your mind?

Hell, I love the off-topic threads just to get insight into the deranged thought processes of some of the inmates here and to read Kelly's subtle (maybe not) jabs at WalMart consumers who discuss what attire they happen to be wearing at any particular time and lower-class, water-cooler conversating, God-fearing, gun-toting, knee-jerk reactionary conservatives. (Hopefully, no one feels they are represented in the above descriptions and if they do, hopefully they don't take offense since it is meant in the best possible way.)

Frankly, if the environment gets any more sterile, I would quickly become bored and find no need to be party to the conversations; not that my sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek commentary would be missed. God (or Allah, Buddha, Muhammed, Zimmerman, what-have-you) knows I don't need to purchase any more audio equipment for a while.

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To clarify my point:

I am not suggesting that there should not be any off topic threads. I am suggesting however that personal insults and bigotry have no place in this forum.

I also have a problem with members posting threads that are an obvious attempt to create dissension.

End of Rant

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

I promised myself that I was not going to do this, but I can't keep a promise so here goes.

What I think about this forum, is that you really SHOULD keep the discussion threads limited to audio related topics. I believe that you should remove all other aspects of your personality from your posts. Your sense of humor, your awareness of non-audio topics, and yes, your humanity, should all be left at the forum door. I think you should make this place a dark and dusty repository of technical babble speak, and jargon, so awesome that the newbie with just a few dollars to burn, or the enthusiast, with a few more dollars, who wants the sound without the hype, will shudder at the gates and never enter.

I am sure that this forum was intended by Klipsch to be something that will help educate the Klipsch owners and inspire an enthusiasm (boosting sales) in Klipsch products. The upgrade-itis that this forum feeds makes spending money on Klipsch, well ...fun.

When I first intended to upgrade from 2 channel stereo to home theater, I was not sure if I really would like the effect. I attempted to audition the RF-7 line at the local Tweeter store, and was totally ignored on the 3 different occasions that I visited the store. I guess an over 40 female does not fit the demographics of audio equipment buyers. So I gave up. Then I happened across this forum, I found the people here, fun, helpful, and more than happy to find a way to create a HT system around my KG4s. Later, when I decided that the Reference series was really the solution for my long-term needs, I felt like I really wasn't making the purchase alone, hell, I felt like I had a whole cheering team rooting me on.

I guess what I am getting at here, is if this forum wasn't the way that it is, with its sometimes offbeat topics, sometimes soap box standing and breast beating, sometimes just plain fun, and ALWAYS HELPFUL AND KNOWLEDGEABLE members. I'd probably be the owner of a Bose System to complement my bedroom borg box, and would not have spent the money that I have on Klipsch. And having been a Klipsch owner for over 15 years, that would have been truly a shame.

Carol

Lynn, I agree and want to ring in that personal insults and bigotry have no place on this B-Board. However our membership does represent great diversity and a certain level of "character" does tend to seep into everything. by and large posting are audio related. However we slip from time to time. Perhaps our level of comfort and trust in our fellow b-boards leads us to go a little overboard and forget netiquette form time to time, but our self policing has been rather effective to date. I have from time to time gone overboard (in some peoples opinions) here and on audio asylum, but I always meant to share thoughts, rants, observations and opnions with my fellow audio enthusiasts. like any community we have ups and downs. I would prefer too that we more careful about our remarks, especially when someone may take offense. regards, tony

This message has been edited by sunnysal on 07-13-2002 at 06:52 PM

Yup, just checked in tonight...and that "one" thread is still going. I don't think I have ever seen one get beat to death like that before, especially on a Klipsch sponsored forum about speakers and related equipment.

It's getting rediculous.... really!

I'm not going to change anyones opinion about those topics no matter how hard I try.......................

Like beating a dead horse over and over.

(Still wishing it would go away)...................................................

Mike

Hello cluless

I worry that you miss my point or perhaps are reading more into my comments than I intended - In that case I apologise for having failed to make myself clear:

At no point have I ever suggested that one should park his/her personality at the door. As for leaving one's sense of humour outside of the forum I would suggest that any who have read my posts would have to acknowledge that I often have made comments that were an attempt at humour. Whether those attempts have succeeded in being humourous presumably rests in the judgement of the reader.

I make no claim of purity in regard to flaming. I have fallen into that trap myself all too often in the past but I have made a conscious decision to avoid doing so in the future. My dentist is delighted as he gets to stitch up my tongue a couple of times each week. My wife is also gleeful because somebody manages to piss me off at least three times a week and so I rarely am able to say anything annoying to her because of the novocaine and the stitches!

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 07-14-2002 at 10:04 PM

i repeat once again & for the last time, in the words of the great lou reed "show me an issue & i'll show you a tissue". Biggrin.gif

iow, here i prefer to devote the extreme majority of my time discussing audio/video & the like. & off of here, i don't like discussing religion nor politics much at all anyway. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Hey badbob......problem is, this town only has one damn station!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although, if my all time favorite classic rock station all of a sudden started playing "rap" for instance, I'd ***** and moan to the station to put it back!!!!..no doubt about it!

Later

Mike (The Yamaha Underdog)

IMHO, other topics are okay.

But I think we should take a tip from the unwritten law of the ham radio bands: sex, religion, and politics are off limits. And sometimes the subject matters have included two out of three. Making it worse.

The best I can do is not read the threads which have wandered into those topics. I can't agree that those who don't like those topics, here, should just ignore posts. Rather we should have some self policing. By that I mean the authors.

Unfortunately I did add to the problem by addressing some issues in the "long topic". I thought my response was very even handed. None the less, it was something which I should not have done.

We're mainly here for audio. There is enough controversy in that for interesting discussion.

Gil

gil, well sex is going too far - that's engrained in the human psyche. & that could really damage my dvd reviews. i use the kiss approach there - plot, explosions & sex in that order. Biggrin.gif

sorry again. not trying to be joe mccarthy here, but just that i care a lot about the people on this forum & how well they get along.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-15-2002 at 09:23 PM

Seems to me the reason people are most ignorant on those three subjects is because of the unwritten rule to not talk about them.

Look at me for example. I have 6 kids, and for most of our years together, I thought it was because we washed our clothes together. Some time later I noticed she got pregnant whenever I threw my jeans on her side of the bed.

Thank God for these forums -- now I know the truth!

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

Klipsch RF7s - AE-25 DJH - AE-3 DJH - Sony 9000ES

f>s>

deang,

Thanks. I enjoy the humor and wit you show in many of your posts.

This whole thing simply boggles my mind. People participating in threads they claim no interest in simply to state they claim no interest in them and object to their very existance.

Am I daft or is it plainly obvious by some of the titles they do not deal with audio. Is someone forcing you to read them? Are you forced to visit? If you don't like it, don't open it. Christ, how difficult is that to figure out?

It's like feminists objecting to women working in brothels. It's like non-smokers going to bars to complain about smokers. It's like country music fanatics picketing rock concerts. It's insane. I do agree personal attacks and flames for the sake of flaming are objectionable.

Being a compromising-type fellow, I would second kenrat's original idea and hope Klipsch would create a section for general, non-audio specific discussions. That way those of us who don't feel a need to have the topics limited and call the Klipsch forum home (or the bar where your friends hang out) could have a place to pursue alternative conversations.

The cynic in me says it might not be very effective given those who oppose non-audio threads enter them anyways and quite likely would peruse that section as well to register their objections. One nation, indeed... provided you comply with certain viewpoints. Bah....

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

I have come to the conclusion that the reason that the people are objecting to the off topic threads is that they cannot handle them. People say that they tear people apart, but the most beligerant posts of personal insults I've seen are from the "this post doesn't belong here" people, not the people discussing the issue. I believe that they have personally avoided these topics because they are incapable of having an adult, intelligent, calm conversation about them.

On some posts, there are almost as many "I don't respond to these topics" posts as relevant ones. If you don't want to see it, don't look. Obviously, many people are interested, or else these topics wouldn't have so many responses.

In a time when the world is calm, these posts would probably not be here- look at it as a reflection of the will of the people.

Larry

This message has been edited by lne937s on 07-16-2002 at 05:50 PM

fine, keep it on the pledge thread & set a record. i lost interest in that a long time ago. Wink.gif

i just don't see a need to begin starting entire new threads on an infinite number of totally unrelated topics (hard as you tried to try to connect this one to

klipsch buying larry Wink.gif).

just saw a trend developing here. baby "pledge" threads spouting all over. that threads about everything in the universe. make it your own lil "totally unrelated general topic discussion thread". Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Think I'll go to the ELECTRONICS store and ask the sales staff what they think of religion / politics / the best brand of undershorts / the best medication to stop hemorrhoidal itching ........

Oh friggen brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!