MM Cartridge, c. 400.00 or so recommendations wanted!

Mallette

Guest David H

Dave, I have done some research, and although this cart sounds great on my deck, it may not be well suited for the VPI.

The Grado is an un shielded cartridge, you will likely experience audible hum from the motor on the VPI.

Most of the recommendation I see on other forums recommend the use of the Dynavector.

Grado actually made a 1.5mv version of their cart specifically for VPI, and still there were complains about noise.

I forgot to mention 1 cartridge I used with good success, the Sumiko Blue point 2 and EVO-III both very similar a pleasure to listen to, and no noise what so ever on Project RM-5 or 6.1 tables.

The table I used the Grado on was a Basis Signature with a Grahm tonearm. No noise.

Dave

I've got an Ortofon 2M Blue on my Delphi tt and an Ortofon 2M Black on my Premier tt. They both sound great, and should work on your set up. The 2M Black is considered by many to be the best MM cart out there. I prefer it over my $1800.00 Koetsu Black MC.

The Grado is an un shielded cartridge, you will likely experience audible hum from the motor on the VPI.

My understanding was this wasn't much of an issue except on DD turntables. There was some hum when I used the Signature on my Rotel, but I don't recall it being so pronounced on the VPI.

However, point taken... The Ortonfon 2M Black looks like a candidate. User reviews are uniformly 5 star and the price, while "highish" remains in my comfort zone, if at the edge.

Dave

• Like 1

Okies, I've emailed NeedleDoctor asking for MM recommendations for a VPI Scout. I did not tell them anything I was considering as I wanted to hear what they think without my own suggestions coloring them.

Looking forward to what they have to say, and will duly report.

Dave

Response from Needle Doctor:

Hey, Dave. Here's the first cartridge that comes to mind:
http://www.needledoctor.com/Dynavector-10X5-Cartridge

It's a high output moving coil, so it doesn't need step up. It can be used
as an MM in terms of your preamp. It's a great match for the Scout, too.
If you'd rather stick with a conventional MM, here's my top choice in your
budget range:
http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-2M-Black-Phono-Cartridge

Be in touch, I'd love to help!

Thanks,
Brian

I responded with the group thinking on HOMC, which makes sense to me and that he hit the nail on the head with the Ortofon.

Looks like the Ortofon unless someone can show just cause why not!

Dave

Response from Needle Doctor:

Hey, Dave. Here's the first cartridge that comes to mind:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Dynavector-10X5-Cartridge

It's a high output moving coil, so it doesn't need step up. It can be used

as an MM in terms of your preamp. It's a great match for the Scout, too.

If you'd rather stick with a conventional MM, here's my top choice in your

budget range:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-2M-Black-Phono-Cartridge

Be in touch, I'd love to help!

Thanks,

Brian

I responded with the group thinking on HOMC, which makes sense to me and that he hit the nail on the head with the Ortofon.

Looks like the Ortofon unless someone can show just cause why not!

Dave

those are precisely the two I would have recommended for you in that comfort zone.

Well, I was actually considering the next Dynavector up. But the comments here about HOMCs squelched that as the arguments make sense. For me, I just don't see the extra expense and fiddle factor of MC being worth it. MM been berry, berry good to Dave.

My first serious TT/cart was a Stanton Gyropoise. 98.00, if I recall. Stanton 681 on a simple table designed specifically for it with the cart permanently and correctly attached as one piece to the arm. The only mechanical connection was a shaft, and the turntable and base had opposing ring magnets that floated it. Simple, ingenious design. Cool thing is I still enjoy it. I made some R2R with it that still sounds better than the modern re-masters of stuff like Dark Side, Alan Parsons, etc.

Anyway, the Ortofon is a target acquired at the moment unless I really get a better steer.

Dave

great... get it and let us hear back as to how it is working out. you can always resell those dynavectors and step up later if you want to, they hold value fairly well.

I am in the middle of putting together a mono system and am toying with the idea of picking up that single Klipschorn for sale in the sale section just for this set up... so I will be cart shopping sometime in the near future

Edited by Schu

Im not 1 to set up my own carts... don't have the tools. But The Grado is going to be put on my Classic 1.

I had sumiko blue point 2 which worked great, but wanted to setup to MC. As Dave Said the Grado has high output and low output.

I emailed VPI and got a lot of recommendations... you might try.

• 3 weeks later...

Gents, the Ortofon is in and...

OMG4

This thing is the perfect marriage to the VPI Scout. I am not going to try to really cover the LPs I've listened to this evening, but it's the best sound I can remember. I will only mention one...DynaQuad demo disc.

I had no freaking idea. I'd played it before and was really impressed. I play it tonight and realized how wrong everything went with quad, and all electronic attempts to fool mother nature. Now I am on a hunt to figure out how Hafler recorded this stuff. Steam engine starting at the front and moving off to the right rear discretely...and naturally! Bumblebee flying circles around the room. Buffy Saint Marie...seriously.

Recommended? Well, DUH!

Dave

Edited by Mallette