Roy Buchanan

billybob

When attempting to grow up while living in a smallish Florida town, my friend would sometime discover some treasures for us to listen to. Still unknown to some like Rory, I feel a disservice to my now deceased friend and Roy, for not posting before now. He liked to bend an elbow also.

Here is a taste from the forerunner of the Austin City Limits:

• Like 2

When attempting to grow up while living in a smallish Florida town, my friend would sometime discover some treasures for us to listen to. Still unknown to some like Rory, I feel a disservice to my now deceased friend and Roy, for not posting before now. He liked to bend an elbow also.

Here is a taste from the forerunner of the Austin City Limits:

Saw Roy Buchanan 3 times. Twice indoors, and once outdoors. Hi amp was backwards second time, which I though was weird. There was a full page ad in the Detroit News, summer 1974, stating: "Possibly the world's greatest guitarist" at Ford Auditorium, where the Detroit Symphony used to play. So I went with a co-worker...............Man when this guy played, everyone's jaw dropped and you could have heard a pin drop in between solos. Holy crap. This is only 4 years after Hendrix died and Roy was THE inspiration for Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow, considered Jeff's best instrumental recording produced by George Martin.

I do remember Roy not being very exciting on stage. He just stood there and played. No leaping about crap for that boy. It was all about the notes.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Did not know about the Beck inspiration. Blow By Blow and Beck a favorite and have the album as well as other Beck jazz and rock.

Never saw Roy except on TV. He was playing rock my plimsoul with a bass and drummer. Sounds like what was going around that I heard, from some. The greatest. Super that you saw.

Thanks

• Like 2

Forgot to mention, I saw Danny Gatton in a small club in Dearborn, Mich. His band was the tightest I've ever seen, and yes, he played slide with a half full beer bottle.

He and Roy Buchanan were pals in the DC area. Gatton was called "the Humbler" by fellow musicians. He could play just like Roy Buchanan when he felt like it and went way beyond what Roy ever did. He also mentored guitar prodigy Joe Bonamassa, who I saw at the Fox in Detroit last May. Gatton was a head cutter and never lost a challenge. He also commtted suicide about 6 years after Roy Buchanan did. Roy at 48 and Danny at 49. It's a shame these guys never got the commercial success they deserved. They were definitely "musician's musicians." I'm so glad I saw these guys live besides owning their recordings.

Kinda like the last time I saw Jeff Beck in Detroit at the Opera House. 90% of the audience was guitar players, some with their kids.

I remember Stevie Ray Vaughn being quoted when asked: "Do your consider yourself the world's greatest guitarist?" To which he replied: "No, the best guitar player in the world is some guy in a smoky bar somewhere you never heard of."

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, I saw Danny Gatton in a small club in Dearborn, Mich. His band was the tightest I've ever seen, and yes, he played slide with a half full beer bottle.

He and Roy Buchanan were pals in the DC area. Gatton was called "the Humbler" by fellow musicians. He could play just like Roy Buchanan when he felt like it and went way beyond what Roy ever did. He also mentored guitar prodigy Joe Bonamassa, who I saw at the Fox in Detroit last May. Gatton was a head cutter and never lost a challenge. He also commtted suicide about 6 years after Roy Buchanan did. Roy at 48 and Danny at 49. It's a shame these guys never got the commercial success they deserved. They were definitely "musician's musicians." I'm so glad I saw these guys live besides owning their recordings.

Kinda like the last time I saw Jeff Beck in Detroit at the Opera House. 90% of the audience was guitar players, some with their kids.

I remember Stevie Ray Vaughn being quoted when asked: "Do your consider yourself the world's greatest guitarist?" To which he replied: "No, the best guitar player in the world is some guy in a smoky bar somewhere you never heard of."

feeling humble here...good stuff. Will pass on this to my surviving friend from that era who also likes info about Roy.

Thanks some more. Saw a bunch but never Beck.

His version of "Hey Joe" is pretty legendary for his explosive playing. I always liked his live album, "Loading Zone". Roy & Danny Gatton are 2 players whose skills were far superior to many of the more famous names in the pantheon of guitar playing.

• Like 1

billybob, check out Danny Gatton's playing on Delbert McClinton's "Sun Medley" i.e. "Mystery Train/My Baby Left Me/That's Allright Mama", Some of the scariest guitar playing I have ever heard. Right up there with any playing laid down by ANY guitarist, EVER.

• Like 1