Which Klipschorns to keep?

Magic24

the horns are the 400's in the 85's & 401's in the 92's. from what ive been told the 401 horns are composite & sound "better" than the 400 metal horns. if you like oak, the 92's have a very strong grain pattern that will stand out, aside from the wrinkled grille material i would keep them since they have the "better" ak-3 x-over & 401 horn. the grille material can be tightened up pretty easy.

but again, i would keep all 4!

from the above post the grille material can be tightened up pretty easy.

and how would this be done ?

take off the front panel by removing the screws at the rear, then carefully remove the staples holding the fabric & pull it tight then re-staple. ok, maybe not "easy" but definantly not difficult.

Edited by klipschfancf4

In case you need another $0.02 cents, the 92's look to be better all the way around. I second the comments about the grain -- the '85's not only have a weaker, less interesting grain, but look less well book-matched (mirror-image near identity between the two).

Edited by LarryC

That pair of 92 K-horns are really nice, i had a pair of Chorus II's i sold with dam near matching woodgrain.

You could always swap parts if you want.

About stacking your speakers, not really a great idea. It will take away your soundstage though if shear volume is your goal it would be a option.

I vote keep them both, even if it cramps things now. Assuming you bought them used, they only seem to go up in value too, so even if you store them in the garage, you'll still be money ahead later.

If you ever move and have a larger listening room or big theater, you'll really be missing the other set. Finding another matching set with the same finish again seems like it'd be very hard.

For example, I bought a pair of LS II's off craigslist. It took about 4 months to find another matching pair and I had to drive almost 500 miles! This year, I've been looking for two more, but after almost four months, no luck.

If you're into multi-channel audio, having matching speakers is the way to go. I noticed a great difference when I swapped out my RS-62's for the second pair of LS II's.

Edited by etc6849