Smokin a brisket today!

JL Sargent

What temp do you like to bring it to ?

190. Stopped that one last night at 185 as it was 8PM and we were starved. Mostly fine and pulled easily, but some not so much. Done, tender, but not easy pull. However, there was plenty of the fall apart variety for sandwiches consumed with gusto and ***** Modelo.

The sauce was a "keeper." I like the mustard/vinegar southeastern stuff a lot, but felt a need for a bit "Texanized" version, to wit:

3/4 cup apple cider vinegar (half and quarter cup water if you want less vinegar bite)
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon of dried minced onion (2 or 3 tablepspoons fresh if you prefer)
2 teaspoons dried minced garlic (tablespoon of fresh if you prefer)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon or a bit more ribbon cane, Steen's, or molasses
2 tablespoons Coleman's mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons or so Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon smoked paprika or regular
2 or so teaspoons chili powder

Bring to boil at least long enough to reconstitute dried ingredients. Blend in pot with immersion blender to liquify the onions and garlic, then simmer another 20 minutes or so.

I like to put it in the smoker for the last few hours to pick up a bit of smoke flavor. Of course, you can mess with the above at will.

Dave

• Moderators
78 yesterday afternoon, 33 this morning.

Yep I spoke to soon 43 now, checking the weather I noticed the chance for rain but did not pay attention to the temps, until I walked out this morning.

78 yesterday afternoon, 33 this morning.

Yep I spoke to soon 43 now, checking the weather I noticed the chance for rain but did not pay attention to the temps, until I walked out this morning.

I was on my back patio last night grilling and listening to MOG. We had a spatter of rain from time to time but it was pleasant out. I took the coals out of my grill after the meat was done and put them in the fire with some oak on top to start a fire. You could literally feel the cold front hit when it went through.

• Moderators
190. Stopped that one last night at 185 as it was 8PM and we were starved. Mostly fine and pulled easily, but some not so much. Done, tender, but not easy pull. However, there was plenty of the fall apart variety for sandwiches consumed with gusto and ***** Modelo.

I have done the same before with the same results, I started going to 193-195 and it helps a lot, more fat melted away and pulls easier. One thing I started doing when the cook was not done and it started getting late was to finish it in the oven, it works great and you can really see how much fat melts away in the last few degrees. From everything I have read meat stops taking smoke flavor when it gets over 140 degrees so the oven for the last 10-15 degrees seem to make no difference in flavor and is much more convenient.

I need to try that recipe it looks good.

What temp do you like to bring it to ?

The sauce was a "keeper." I like the mustard/vinegar southeastern stuff a lot, but felt a need for a bit "Texanized" version, to wit:

3/4 cup apple cider vinegar (half and quarter cup water if you want less vinegar bite)

1/2 cup ketchup

1 tablespoon of dried minced onion (2 or 3 tablepspoons fresh if you prefer)

2 teaspoons dried minced garlic (tablespoon of fresh if you prefer)

1 tablespoon butter

1 tablespoon or a bit more ribbon cane, Steen's, or molasses

2 tablespoons Coleman's mustard

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 teaspoons or so Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon smoked paprika or regular

2 or so teaspoons chili powder

Bring to boil at least long enough to reconstitute dried ingredients. Blend in pot with immersion blender to liquify the onions and garlic, then simmer another 20 minutes or so.

I like to put it in the smoker for the last few hours to pick up a bit of smoke flavor. Of course, you can mess with the above at will.

Dave

As we learned with the censor, it is now not only Moby Penis, but also Black Modelo.