Should I upgrade?

willum24

I'm considering selling my 4 Klipsch RF 82 IIs (used as fronts and surrounds) and my 2 Klipsch RW12-d subwoofers in order to purchase a Klipsch RC64 II and a pair of Klipsch RF 7s. Do any of you think this is a good idea? Or should I stick with what I have? Will I notice much of a difference? Thanks in advance for any advice!

You will notice a huge difference. Although I would not get the old 7's and a new 64. I'm a firm believer in matching the from three. Old rf-7 match rc-7. New 7ii's and the 64ii match. What center you have now and what will you use for surrounds?

I was planning on just having a front stage for now. I wouldn't be running surrounds. I currently have an Onkyo TXNR809 that I may be selling in the package of other speakers if I so choose. I'm thinking I'd purchase either a marantz SR or an Emotiva UMC 200 to replace it if that's the direction I decide to go. You really think the 64 II would sound poor with the older RF7's? Thanks Scrappy!

Ask yourself: which Klipsch speakers do I eventually want to own? Then save up and buy those speakers.

It's much less costly than doing trade-up after trade-up, and you'll get to having amazing sound sooner than you expect.

Actually the more I think of this selling most of your home theater besides center for just a front three may not be IMO the best move. How long till you could add a new sub and surrounds? That's giving up a lot of an upgrade for sure but man, that a lot.

Ask yourself: which Klipsch speakers do I eventually want to own? Then save up and buy those speakers.

It's much less costly than doing trade-up after trade-up, and you'll get to having amazing sound sooner than you expect.

Bingo !

I appreciate all the input. So my system now is TXNR809, an Emotiva XPA 5, RF 82 II fronts and rears, 2 RW12D subs. I would honestly be fine without subs if I had the RF 7 Classics I think, and the RC 64 II would be just for watching movies to get that crunchy good dialogue. I would still use the XPA 5 and would end up with a new processor of some sort. I also want to add a turntable, and I'm thinking my vinyls will sound AMAZING with the RF7's.

I was planning on just having a front stage for now. I wouldn't be running surrounds. I currently have an Onkyo TXNR809 that I may be selling in the package of other speakers if I so choose. I'm thinking I'd purchase either a marantz SR or an Emotiva UMC 200 to replace it if that's the direction I decide to go. You really think the 64 II would sound poor with the older RF7's? Thanks Scrappy!

i don't think it will sound poor by any means. Not even close! I'm sure there a re a few on here with the same thing you are asking about. Hopefully they will chime in. I just have OCD so I cannot do mismatching speakers. But that's just me

Other than the center, I wouldn't say it's not that much of an upgrade. I have both the RF-82's and RF-83's. Yes, the RF-83's sound better, but do they sound $1300 better? Not really. Was kind of a waste of money in retrospect.

I have a 7.2 reference set up (RS-62, RF-83, RF-82, 2xRT-12d subs and RC-64), and my four La Scala II's (using the two RT-12d's) I bought from craigslist sound better to me. Plus, I can get 110% more than I paid back out of them. The used reference stuff holds some value, but really there's too much depreciation year after year to make them worth buying over the nicer heritage stuff. Plus, even my RC-64 I have sounded weak compared to the La Scala II's, so I disabled it.

The horns are just too small to give you the best possible mid-range IMHO. Also, I'd wait for the new reference line to come out this year and buy used RF-7ii's if you need them. Don't get me wrong, my old setup sounded great and I've heard the RF-7ii's and they're nice speakers. But, I'd try to hear an all La Scala, Khorn or Jubilee set up to make sure that's not the sound your hunting for. If you have the space, I'd definitely look into them.

Edited by etc6849
  • Like 1

To the OP, I agree with Scrappy on not mixing series. For example I use the RF 7's with an RC 64? I like the combo. The RC 64 is not as tall as the RC 7 if it is going in or on a tv console. A pair of RF 82's would be some nice rears.

Edited by derrickdj1

I just may do that. I was debating purchasing a pair of used RF 7s, but I wouldn't mind picking up a pair of RF-7 IIs B stock for not much more. I hate being completely satisfied with my system and still longing to hear different combinations, but I love it at the same time.

I'd wait for sure. Klipsch has raised their prices too much since Audiovox bought them. The RF-7ii price of $1600/each is crazy. Even more crazy than what the pricing on the RF-83's were (I'm thinking MSRP was $1400/each). If it was me, I wouldn't pay more than $600/each and hold out for the next model before buying the RF-7ii's. 50% off sales also happen regularly on "A" stock if you wait around. I bought my A stock RF setup 50% off.

Used prices on the RF-83's and RF-7's seem to be about $800-$1100/set. I'm willing to bet it would be hard to hear a difference between them and the RF-7ii if there was a way to do an objective test. It's not like there's some radical difference in design philosophy between them, and the RF-7ii will be discontinued this year if you believe the rumors.

The Heritage speakers really are better for movies. I'm young so I never had the chance to hear the heritage line until I bought my La Scala II's from craigslist. When I first started buying speakers, I always thought the heritage folks were crazy as technology in the heritage line is decades old, until I actually listened to my LS II's. An all horn speaker really is the way to go if you want the best possible sound and bang for the buck (e.g. resale value).

Edited by etc6849