SOLD and picked up: THT Horn Subwoofer in Indy

ClaudeJ1

I will be going to Axpona on Thursday Morning somewhere in the Chicago area. It's a 3-day Hi Fi show and I have to help Greg from Volti setup his room at 8 AM. So I can meet you there at that time if you like.

Thanks Claude. I'll try and move things around on my end so I can make the drive. If possible I'd be there around 11am. Will post here or PM if I can make it or not.

When I look into my next Sub, iv got to hear that new fangled FanSub before making a purchase.

The servo drive contra bass by Tom Danley???? There must be a reason why he went to tapped horns instead.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/way-down-deep-ii-servodrive-contrabass

No, the fan sub is literally a fan built into the room like an Infinite Baffle. It's crazy expensive and is flat from 1Hz up.

I dont have anything like you do Claude although im 2ch only. I refuse to step into such places as "classic stereo" cause i always end up pissing them off cause my 2ch rig sounds lumps better than any of there theater setups let alone the $30k theater room they have locally which both my theater and 2 ch especially sound so much better its not funny with their new up to date gear. Iv had it and want 2ch hifi only. I just cannot get enough. Thanks for your direction if you could take a moment to tell me where to get this info, please.

Mark Beeker

Fortunately, I have achieved my goal in it's present configuration. I'm using the same setup for 2 channel as well as 7, with the same subs on both, and a common R and L front. My best friend and audio buddy for decades is more of a "purist" whereas his 2 ch. is as pure analog as he can get, with a $6,000 Pass pre-amp, and Open Baffle speakers of his own design and construction. Heck he's even in the market for a new turntable, you know, the scary looking kind that cost more than a used car!

When I look into my next Sub, iv got to hear that new fangled FanSub before making a purchase.

The servo drive contra bass by Tom Danley???? There must be a reason why he went to tapped horns instead.

No, the fan sub is literally a fan built into the room like an Infinite Baffle. It's crazy expensive and is flat from 1Hz up.

So, bottom line for the single digit "bottom" is about $15,000 installed. Talk about the law of diminishing returns. I'm quite happy with my Danley DTS-10's which register 8 Hz. in my room and represent a whole lotta bang for the buck in comparison. Yes it's cabin gain and it's rolled off, but if you are going the infinite baffle route, which this Fan requires, you can get a whole bunch of 18's that will move just as much air down there, if single digit Sub bass is your thing.

My question would be: Is there ANY program material out there, Blue Ray LFE channels or otherwise that really demand this thing. Besides, my Danleys already stress the structural integrity of my home at 1/10th their rated output, so why would I want to even think about going further in this direction, except to amaze a few friends? Super Spuds are amazing enough when they vibrate the skin on my back side AND the couch I'm sitting on, even through fluffy cusions, during the Flight of the Phoenix plane crash. Nice to know this thing even exists, however.

Diminishing returns indeed.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

I dont have anything like you do Claude although im 2ch only. I refuse to step into such places as "classic stereo" cause i always end up pissing them off cause my 2ch rig sounds lumps better than any of there theater setups let alone the $30k theater room they have locally which both my theater and 2 ch especially sound so much better its not funny with their new up to date gear. Iv had it and want 2ch hifi only. I just cannot get enough. Thanks for your direction if you could take a moment to tell me where to get this info, please.

Mark Beeker

Fortunately, I have achieved my goal in it's present configuration. I'm using the same setup for 2 channel as well as 7, with the same subs on both, and a common R and L front. My best friend and audio buddy for decades is more of a "purist" whereas his 2 ch. is as pure analog as he can get, with a $6,000 Pass pre-amp, and Open Baffle speakers of his own design and construction. Heck he's even in the market for a new turntable, you know, the scary looking kind that cost more than a used car!

I do understand. I have seen owned and heard many different setups(out of the box setups) and equipment that is worth way more than i would spend on it considering it doesnt sound worth a toot lol. Im happy with what i have right now but before i make anymore steps forward i want to make the correct choices. All over the internet and in other homes i find very biased info that misleads to say the least. I may be a bit biased with klipsch heritage although the next step for me is beyond what i only see in pics such as your avatars. And by golly your close to my place which iv always noticed. Thank you for your time.

5K beats 25K every day of the week. I was looking into a used TRW.

• Like 1

5K beats 25K every day of the week. I was looking into a used TRW.

Well, even a new Danley DTS-10 is only about $3,000.

Well, even a new Danley DTS-10 is only about $3,000.

That's apples and oranges. I'm not sure that there's even another product on the market to compare the fan sub to.

Maybe, so, but it's more green apple vs. red apples, since they both attempt to move a lot of air with sine input and amplifiers.

With your analogy, we could compare subwoofers to mid bass horns. The problem is they're purpose built for two different things. The DTS-10 can't do what the rotary sub can, conversely, the rotary sub can't do what the DTS-10 does. The DTS-10 AND the rotary sub would be a really nice set up for the LFE channel however.

With your analogy, we could compare subwoofers to mid bass horns. The problem is they're purpose built for two different things. The DTS-10 can't do what the rotary sub can, conversely, the rotary sub can't do what the DTS-10 does. The DTS-10 AND the rotary sub would be a really nice set up for the LFE channel however.

Not exactly because there is a big overlap between the realizeable frequency bands of a Fan and a DTS-10, whereas, a subwoofer (80-100 Hz. down) and bass/midbass horn (80-300) have very little overlap by definition.

However, assuming a singular, no-compromise, mindset without consideration to budget limits or diminishing returns or available program material of Sub Bass, you are absolutely right.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 1 month later...

This THT horn sub is for sale again. I purchased this in early April and just can't get down to Indianapolis to pick it up. Claude is a great guy and has been a pleasure to work with. I was the weak link in this transaction.....purchased without really thinking of the road trip involved. Easy to do with all the good things I've heard about horn loaded subs.

The way this goes is buyer will pay me, then pick up at Claude's place in Indy. Sure you'll be PMing with two people for this, but this sub is more than worth it. To all the droolers, this is your chance to get a killer sub for an unbeatable price.

$375 Paypal. I'll eat their 3% fee.

This THT horn sub is for sale again. I purchased this in early April and just can't get down to Indianapolis to pick it up. Claude is a great guy and has been a pleasure to work with. I was the weak link in this transaction.....purchased without really thinking of the road trip involved. Easy to do with all the good things I've heard about horn loaded subs.

The way this goes is buyer will pay me, then pick up at Claude's place in Indy. Sure you'll be PMing with two people for this, but this sub is more than worth it. To all the droolers, this is your chance to get a killer sub for an unbeatable price.

$375 Paypal. I'll eat their 3% fee.

Come on down and get this killer sub, so you too can break your windows and piss off your neighbors!

So how does this do with music? I have Cornwall's and Heresy's, and a great tube amp from ampsandsounds Mostly blues, classic rock, soul/funk, jazz. Source is Oppo 103, and streaming.

Does it require a corner or other special placement? sorry for all the Q's.....

There are notes that your Cornwalls can't reproduce. It came to my attention about 7 years ago, that there's quite a bit of bass content below 40 Hz. in modern music (31 hz. for a 5-string bass, lower for synthesizer). Besides ALL speakers, even Khorns roll off before 40 Hz. and are weak there. The "slam" in a Cornwall is a 90 Hz. peak in the response (shown in Klipsch literature of the past). So unless you have a room peak to compensate (not likely) at your sweet spot, you need a sub. When it's set up right, you won't know it's there until you need it, but when you do, it's amazing.

Tapped horns are better for movies although they would work well with Cornwalls for music or movies crossed at 40-60 Hz., horns like the Tuba HT or the F-20 are better for music, especially with a LaScala.

Edited by ClaudeJ1