Use Bannna or Speakon?

Coytee

Asking in this forum because of the traffic.

I've got some wires going through the walls to the speaker locations. I'll terminate the wire at the location. Should I use a cover plate with 5-way/banana terminals or, use the same plate with some Speakon's?

Don't worry about the cost. I'm sure I can find cheap or expensive of either to negate cost concerns.

I'm leaning on Speakon's. Not the double connector but, two singles, one above the other. This way, the top one can implicitly be the HF horn and the lower one can be the bass horn.

I could do same setup with the 5-way posts as well... I just see these easier to accidently pull out while someone is messing around behind the speaker.

Thoughts?

I used 5 way binding posts, as it is more standard connection. Also, as explained to me by a WBT salesman.. The best connector is no connector.

So, you can take your speaker wire and connect it directly to the 5 way binding posts and eliminate 1 connector. Also it will have less chance of pulling out as the connector crimps down on the wire.I have done this in my system now, eliminating every connector that I can, in favor of sticking the copper wire directly to what I am connecting to.

Edited by Cut-Throat

Also it will have less chance of pulling out as the connector crimps down on the wire.
Speakon connectors have a twistlock action. As long as the cable was terminated correctly in the Speakon, you would be good.

Bruce

Also it will have less chance of pulling out as the connector crimps down on the wire.
Speakon connectors have a twistlock action. As long as the cable was terminated correctly in the Speakon, you would be good.

Bruce

Agreed, I meant less chance of pulling out than a Banana Plug.

I'd also recommend SpeakON connectors. They lock on, only fit one way, have no exposed conductors, and you can connect or disconnect them with your eyes closed or otherwise being unable to see them.

The option of two or four conductors per connector is useful, too.

If someone passes behind the speaker and trips on the wire the bananas will come out. With Speakons the speaker will fall and may be damaged or injure someone.

I use Speakons for PA.

Most modern banana cups have the bananas at an angle so the weight of the wire keeps them relatively secure. Having sad that, I don't like sound of bananas at the speaker end (unless they are the locking type, and we are back to the tripping hazzard).

If someone passes behind the speaker and trips on the wire the bananas will come out. With Speakons the speaker will fall and may be damaged or injure someone.

I use Speakons for PA.

Most modern banana cups have the bananas at an angle so the weight of the wire keeps them relatively secure. Having sad that, I don't like sound of bananas at the speaker end (unless they are the locking type, and we are back to the tripping hazzard).

If room sets up like I anticipate, the front viewing wall will have a pair of DTS-10's. in front of them (using them as a quasi-half corner on each side of room) I'll have the Jubilee's. In the center will be a LaScala.

Nobody will be walking behind so I'm not concerned at all for tripping hazards. Now, I can see the wife trying to stretch back there with a broom or something like that and getting something entangled (I've got no idea how but, she's very creative)

I have to terminate the speaker wires so I have a variety ways of doing it. I'm not worried about any incremental costs.

I will have the speaker wire come right out of the walls, then terminated at the ends going into the speakers. I have been doing it this way for a few years now with good results. Depending on the speakers I usually have them terminated with either banana or spade connectors.

I'd use Speakon NL4 series. 4 conductors so the HF and LF can be pre-wired. I would not use identical connectors for LF and HF. I've been known to mis-patch things when working too quickly. The consequences of the LF feed going to the HF drivers can be mighty bad.

I love Speakons. I wired my entire theater and bar with wall plates I drilled and installed the speakons in. I also used them as the connections to my Danley DTS 10s, and have replaced the terminal strips on a pair of Cornwalls with them. I have used all STX series, which are heavy duty and have better termination methods than the lighter duty series.

DSC_0022-1.jpg