AA battery powered Klipschorns

First time guests to my modest home will usually end up asking, "is somebody playing a piano in the other room ?".

So I will show off my mighty oak Klipschorns, sounding like an actual grand piano while being powered by a

one (1) watt per channel, AA battery powered I-Pod dock.

After their initial astonishment wears off, I will then take them into my acoustically treated home theater room and introduce them to the sound of my hi-powered Klipsch Heritage audio system. Most people never feel quite the same about speakers after that.

I believe that for K-horns to sound their best, they need good solid corners. Notice that in my pictures, the corners are re-inforced with sections of low cost, used solid-core door slabs, cut to the height of the speakers. Some people use plywood, MDF or extra sheetrock. 32" wide panels are better than none. Paint it, stain it or staple some fabric on it. Klipschorns deserve better than single layer gypsum drywall resonance distortion. Enjoy the music!

post-58241-0-29320000-1396639012_thumb.j

post-58241-0-93320000-1396639041_thumb.j

post-58241-0-60120000-1396639073_thumb.j

• Like 3

I remember years ago when I was waiting for my amplifier... I had my La Scalas and my roommate had a boombox... We hooked them up to the headphone jack, and cranked them. Everyone in the dorm was coming over to find out who had the new king of the dorm stereo... Imagine the look on their faces when they saw the La Scalas being powered by a boombox! LOL :)

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

Hi Dean,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I know that you are very knowledgable, and I respect your opinion.

This is just a post about a guest bedroom speaker system that I use for background music sometimes. My point is that the Klipschorns are very efficient, and that good solid corners are important.

BTW, it was from reading your excellent posts in this thread https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/42953-false-corners-screwed-into-k-horns/, that made me think to write a fresh piece about the importance of good corners.

Have a nice day.

• Like 3

I have heard that Paul Klipsch, in the early days of his company, used to travel around with a Klipschorn for demonstrations and he powered it with a small portable radio. He would probably have been happy to have something as good as an Ipod and dock.

• Like 5

I have little doubt that the iHome sounds better through Klipshorns than the internal speakers. I don't know why this never occurred to me... I have one that wakes me up every morning sitting on the floor in between a pair of Cornwalls. Maybe I should wire them up?! I imagine I might not be hitting the snooze to go back to sleep anymore.

• Like 2

I have heard that Paul Klipsch, in the early days of his company, used to travel around with a Klipschorn for demonstrations and he powered it with a small portable radio. He would probably have been happy to have something as good as an Ipod and dock.

Yes, it was someone a lot smarter than myself who inspired me to do things like this. The nice sounding Klipschorn stereo system is a personal homage to my childhood hero, Paul W. Klipsch.

post-58241-0-99060000-1396969961_thumb.j