forte/chorus 1 & 2 differences?

hi. just wondering what are the main differences between the original & 2nd series of fortes & chorus speakers? aside from the obvious like the passive radiators in the fortes going from 12" to 15". or the ports to passive on the chorus.

& what are opinions on which versions sound better?

i own a set of original fortes & love them, but have always wondered if i'm missing anything worth while compared to the 2nd version. i'm looking for a set of chorus to add to my collection & wondering which one is "better." i've heard & read mixed reviews, some swear the original chorus are better & some like the 2nd series.

Edited by klipschfancf4

And both II's have the Tractrix versus exponential midhorn.

If I had the forte, I would wait on a chance to listen to a ForteII. Worth the comparison, IMLO

While I have the Chorus and am happy, I also welcome the chance to do a score on the II's for my purposes.

Know this is not helping much but, yes some here have preferences, as you say.

Really have not heard a Klipsch, I do not like.

Bump

• Like 3

We had one poster who had listened to Forte and Forte II and said he didn't hear much of a difference. Maybe that was so on whatever he was playing and in his room.

OTOH, with Klipsch's perfection of their "Tractrix," they used it on just about every new speaker. Remember they brought out the Chorus II, Forte II, and Quartet to replace earlier Chorus and Forte with the Tractrix. They liked it a lot.

I once thought the advantage was simply the better vertical pattern. But Dr. Earl Geddes recommended horns like the Klipsch "Tractrix" for clarity and lack of internal reverberations. And now I am a believer in that. The "Tractix" is more like what he is describing with what is close to conical design.

WMcD

I have also been down each road listening to the 1's of both and owning 2's of each. You can be happy with any of the 4. Once you get a chorus you may just pitch a tent and stay for a while or build a house around them and stay for lifetime. I find people who prefer one over the other have not heard the other or all etc...Once you hear a chorus ii you are likely to build a house and stay for a lifetime. Through numbers the chorus 2 are better than a cornwall and not quite good as a lascala so throwing the chorus ii into the heritage latter they are right at the top. Myself at the moment with a bit of limited room i have parked on the chorus 2 due to footprint and sound as well as easy to move and sound amazing on tubes at low and high watts and solid state at low and extremely high wattage. The chorus 2 offer so much more in my opinion than darn near anything you can put in a room plug and play with very little work.

• Like 3

• Moderators
You can be happy with any of the 4.

True statement , have the forte 1 and 2 version here but it has been many years since comparing I would be lying if gave an opinion. And where there mounted there not coming down anytime soon.

So once again no help whatsoever , see a pattern here ! :blush2:

• Like 3

In my all in all true opinion they are all good and you really cannot compare the 4 unless they are all 4 in the same room at the same time using the same amp in the very same spot that each one is being tested in the process of testing all 4 and so on etc... When i bought my forte 2's the guy also had the original chorus in the same room. They both sounded really good. I bought the forte 2's cause they were smaller and of course had the passive radiators.

I wish i could just have them all. They all serve a great purpose as well as all producing wonderful detail with klipsch efficiency. In good to very good condition they are all 4 valued about the same interestingly enough. Just something to me about the passive 15 and active 15 on the chorus 2.

I am discussing now with a couple forum members about my next step. I will be moving finally once again in 7 months into a larger home over 2 times the size im in now and preparing for some possible radical changes to my main 2 ch system, as well as maybe not, just keep what i have now. When dealing with things such as a klipschorn, jubilee or larger 1 step at a time with month intervals or more are so much easier to me than just bam get it done now. Let alone the wallet coming into factor

• Like 4

thanks for the opinions, i realize its hard unless you have or own both & can do a fair comparison. just looking for some general preferances on which one people like best. i love my original fortes, they seem to sound great on cheaper receivers & excellent on seperate s/s amps. just figured the tractrix horns & other changes had to make for a "better" sounding speaker. ideally i would like to have the series 2 of each for a 4 speaker 2 ch system, one in each corner of the room. would even be happy with chorus ii's & original fortes im sure, but finding matching finishes at decent prices can be difficult. the fortes are oiled walnut & it seems chorus are somewhat rare in teh OW finish, usually see oak or black.

i had a 4 speaker system recently consisting of kg 5.5 & epic cf-4's but sold both to buy some k-horns, in oiled walnut. so to get some chorus ii's in OW would be awsome! even if they arent in the same room, i really like the OW finish, ive always been an oak fan of furniture & my prev klipschs were oak, but the OW just has a fancier look to it.

so aside from the finish of the speakers, i think i will concentrate on the series 2 chorus, & eventually the forte ii. i have a wanted ad posted for the chorus, but please let me know if anyone hears of any for sale at a decent price.

thanks!

Edited by klipschfancf4

Only if you want to, which side of this country are you located. May help with the locating some.

You cannot go wrong with the II's in either case, IMLO.

neither side... smack dab in the middle. or upper middle to be exact, central iowa.

hi. just wondering what are the main differences between the original & 2nd series of fortes & chorus speakers? aside from the obvious like the passive radiators in the fortes going from 12" to 15". or the ports to passive on the chorus.

& what are opinions on which versions sound better?

i own a set of original fortes & love them, but have always wondered if i'm missing anything worth while compared to the 2nd version. i'm looking for a set of chorus to add to my collection & wondering which one is "better." i've heard & read mixed reviews, some swear the original chorus are better & some like the 2nd series.

What are you planning on using them for?

As far as the Chorus 1 vs Chorus II, I found the Chorus 1 a little more tubby and less open sounding than the Chorus II. I believe the mid horn makes a fair amount of difference. Similar with the Forte 1 and 2, the mid horn opens up the mids more though since you have only the 12" woofer, the lower mids at crossover are more lean with either. Keep in mind placement and items in the room can change all this. My 2 cents..

What are you planning on using them for?

5th sentence of post #8. " ideally i would like to have the series 2 of each for a 4 speaker 2 ch system, one in each corner of the room."

basically for a 2nd music system.