LaScala Sonic Detail Improvement for only $220.98

ClaudeJ1

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

And LSI's

Yes, the K-43 in my own LaScalas is what convinced me that a bigger magnet woofer with it's higher BL product, better upper range responses characteristics simply sounded better than a K33 in short horns like LS, Belle, etc. My post about the 15C is strictly about an even better midrange response, but without the high cost and overkill power handling in a home application of the K43, hence the title of the thread.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

If you aren't using a sub, I would say no. I love my LS without a sub, but wouldn't want to lose any more of the bottom end. (I'm not going to hop on the 'everybody needs a sub' bandwagon. I get it, but many don't want an extra box in the room, for whatever reason). My LS have the mids dropped a little bit, making the bass sound a little more full. Between that and the sysergy between the amp and cabinet, I'm okay with it. Of course, YMMV.

If you went with an 8 ohm, you would need to rework the crossover.

Bruce

I listened to my LaScala's for 30 years without a sub but the last few years I have been using a sub I built. I could live without a sub and sometime I do listen with the sub turned off but it does enhance your musical experience with LaScala's. The biggest difference I noticed when I added a sub was a bass Guitar. It was what I was missing without a sub. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick question about installing the 15C in a La Scala or FH1.  When installing, did you replace the gasket that came with the 15C?  The way that the 15C is installed in a La Scala or a FH1 is against its front face.  While the 15C has a nice gasket that will seal it nicely if it is mounted on the outside of a cabinet, the front gasket that is used is cut out around the screw holes, and looks like it could easily leak air.  I ask because I have installed a pair in FH1s, and my measurements with REW show a large drop starting at 75 Hz or so as compared to a stock La Scala bin.  The measured drop is also obvious when listening.  I know that the 15C gives up a few HZ in extension compared to a K-33, but this is a lot more than a few HZ.  Could this be an issue with my installed 15Cs leaking air around the gasket?     

• 2 months later...

Here are a couple of REW screenshots comparing the bass response of my La Scalas to my two ways with Eminence Kappa 15C in a Peavey FH-1.  The two speakers were measured in the same position with the microphone at the same height and pointing at the mid horn for the La Scalas, and the HF horn for my two ways.  The microphone was 4' from the speakers.     

I understand that the 15C gives up a few DB at the bottom in exchange for better performance at the top of its range, but this measurement shows a drop of more than a few DBs.  Subjectively, my two way is obviously bass shy compared to the La Scala.  My question is whether this is normal, or not?  Is this due to my improperly installing the 15Cs in the cabinets, or is this the missing "few DB at the bottom" that is normal?  Any insight would be much appreciated.   

LS VS 2 WAY.jpg
La Scala is red and 15C in FH-1 is green.

• 5 months later...
On 1/6/2021 at 9:05 AM, Tizman said:

Here are a couple of REW screenshots comparing the bass response of my La Scalas to my two ways with Eminence Kappa 15C in a Peavey FH-1.  The two speakers were measured in the same position with the microphone at the same height and pointing at the mid horn for the La Scalas, and the HF horn for my two ways.  The microphone was 4' from the speakers.     

I understand that the 15C gives up a few DB at the bottom in exchange for better performance at the top of its range, but this measurement shows a drop of more than a few DBs.  Subjectively, my two way is obviously bass shy compared to the La Scala.  My question is whether this is normal, or not?  Is this due to my improperly installing the 15Cs in the cabinets, or is this the missing "few DB at the bottom" that is normal?  Any insight would be much appreciated.   

LS VS 2 WAY.jpg
La Scala is red and 15C in FH-1 is green.

I have read the entire thread and it is very helpful. I would like to have the question of the last post of Tizman also answered. Is it the behavior of the woofer what Tizman measured or is it just a leak?
I'm not in an urgent hurry but if I ever need a replacement for the 44 year old Lascala K33E, Eminence 15C cost me 120€ a piece in Germany at Thomann.
Also, if the Crites woofer costs similar in the US...by the time 2 of them would be here, it would be about 500€ including shipping, taxes and customs.

But after all the posts over 7 years I'm afraid it won't sound rounded in the bass with the 15C if it happens without a subwoofer...?

Just now, KT88 said:

But after all the posts over 7 years I'm afraid it won't sound rounded in the bass with the 15C if it happens without a subwoofer...?

Claude and most others expect you will use a subwoofer (with a K-33, K-43 or 15C). I'm not one of those. I pulled the mids down to to provide a better balance. Then when the gain is turned up, there is more apparent bass. Mind you, I don't play super load.

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

Claude and most others expect you will use a subwoofer (with a K-33, K-43 or 15C). I'm not one of those. I pulled the mids down to to provide a better balance. Then when the gain is turned up, there is more apparent bass. Mind you, I don't play super load.

Thanks, Marvel, I would like to keep the loudness of the squaker also because the relation to the K77 is just fine as is.

There is obviously a difference between the K33 and the 15C regarding the bass response. I can understand when people want a sub in addition. My question is, that when I am happy to play the Lascalas without a sub with a K33 regarding the bass would I be very disappointed when I would change it against a 15C? I can imagine that the mids are more articulated due to the lighter conus and the bigger magnet and coil. On all the pages of this thread there was only one guy who said that the difference swapping a K33 for a 15c is noticable but not so negative regarding the bass performance. I am not a „bass man“ anyway and I am ok if the bass is somewhat leaner but it should not sound in the way I would hear a cut off or something is missing to which I could not adjust my listening after a while.

I am interested in this because as I said the 15c is half the price for me.. Would it be urgent to pay double? This is not only a rational question because if the 15c does not perform at all without a sub I really would pay double when time should come for a change.

That's a question I can't answer. My LS have K-33s and I am just fine with them. My MWM cabs have K-43s in them, and the upper bass is really good, and because they are in the MWM cabs, also go lower. I would get lower bass in them with K-33s, but I'm not up for buying 4 new woofers.