The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
ClaudeJ1

LaScala Sonic Detail Improvement for only $220.98

If I sold my whole setup I probably still couldn't afford the Danley's I would want.

Honestly, I'd be more interested to hear a quarter pie than any Danleys.   :)

Well, with their current patent protection, they are pricey, but they do perform well in very small boxes relative to their bandwidth and output power with low distortion and linear phase behavior with constant directivity tapped conical horn.

Quarter pies are easy and cheap to build, so you could easily try a pair without selling anything. I personally think they are best at bridging the gap between a LaScala and an MWMs and they are smoother than any of them when no PEQ is involved, even a K or Jube.

If you are ever in Cincinnati you are welcome to stop by, I have a few lying around. Should have #s 6 and 7 started soon.

7 pies.  If you had 8 it could be a pizza pie.  Build more.  You must really like those things.

All the goodness of an MWM just in a smaller, cheaper, easier to build form. What's not to like. The new ones will be for the rears in a 7.2 setup. I am going to alter Claude's design just a bit and make them completely straight to help them fit the available space (hanging from the ceiling).

Edited by tromprof

7 pies.  If you had 8 it could be a pizza pie.  Build more.  You must really like those things.

Actually, if you had 8, it would be 2 pizza pies.

Is this the speaker being talked about. I have Cornwall I's.  http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-kappa-pro-15lfc-15-professional-low-frequency-woofer-4-ohm--290-461

Thank's

That link is for the 15LFC - the woofer Claude mentioned  is for the less pricey 15C  http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-kappa-15c-15-driver-4-ohm--290-459

The PRO goes a bit lower. Would it be a better choice?   Thank's for the reply.

The point of the upgrade was in the huge midrange improvement. The determinant for the TRUE low end is in the LENGTH of the horn, not so much the driver in it. Why does everyone want to change the recipe of a great dish, I'll never understand.

I'm amazed this thread has been revived of late. I thought it died last year, but apparently I was mistaken.

Well, since this thread is still alive, what the heck. Any thoughts on this same type of "upgrade" for the K-31's in the Jube?

Well, since this thread is still alive, what the heck. Any thoughts on this same type of "upgrade" for the K-31's in the Jube?

I worked on a Jube-like design, with a passive radiator. He owned a pair of Golden Jubilee bass bins, of which there are only 4 in the world, two in the Klipsch museum. Messing with other drivers and K-31's we were unable to make anything one might call an "improvement." I have curves to back this up. Maybe some expensive Neo Magnet Eminence drivers had a tad more top end at 900 Hz. but sacrificed a db or so at the bottom. Who wants that?

Leave the K-31's alone. They are great drivers.

The PRO goes a bit lower. Would it be a better choice?   Thank's for the reply.

The point of the upgrade was in the huge midrange improvement. The determinant for the TRUE low end is in the LENGTH of the horn, not so much the driver in it. Why does everyone want to change the recipe of a great dish, I'll never understand.

OK, so an improvement to the midrange it is. Can't go wrong there.

OK, so an improvement to the midrange it is. Can't go wrong there.

Also in the price of the driver, which has dropped permanently by $20, so the sale price is now the new price. 15C is the best woofer value I know of for LaScalas or for Quarter Pies, when you want great midrange and a FULL OCTAVE lower bass, the Quarter pies are easier to build too.

Actually, if you had 8, it would be 2 pizza pies.

That's amore - times 2.

So, in shopping online, it seems Eminence makes several variants of their 15" speaker: the Impero, the Lab, the Kilomax, and the 15c.  There are obvious structural differences between these models.  Has anyone has experimented with these variants to see whether one in particular performs significantly better than the others?

Apologies in advance if this has been covered in another thread.

I ran simulations on many drivers and had 3 in my Quarter Pies. The Kappa 15C was my "best bang for buck" in the Quarter Pie and LaScala, since on the LaScala there's a 4-5 DB drop at 400 hz. in the stock K-33 driver.

The K-43 is much better in this regard but twice the money of the 15C, hence the OP.

Edited by ClaudeJ1