Where's the boom?

McMiRA

Usually my underpowered system keeps up fine and gets loud enough that I haven't been to concerned. I noticed the other night that during some movie scenes the sound seems to go muffled instead of explode with volume. Biggest offenders are the transformer movies. When they go into a major action sequence the dialog muffles and I don't get earth shattering effects. Almost acts like something is out of phase but I've checked it all. I'm using a ps3 for bluray, into a marantz sr 7007. Fronts are (6) kg5.5s running LW/LF/C/C/RF/RW. WITH (2) rw12ds stacked on both sides of the center cabinets, 4 total. Have ran audyssey many times and hasn't fixed it. Currently on audyssey flat. I can put in other movies, like Skyfall, and not have the issue. If there some kind of compression happening in a setting somewhere that I should look for? Or is something else happening?

What do you run the kg 5's at? Large or small? Crossover? Do you leave audyssey dynamic eq on? If so that could be a problem. I like dynamic eq if I watch movies quiter than -20 to -15. But if I go louder than that I turn it off as it almost seems to introduce a distortion that I dislike very much. Too much going on as stuff is so boosted with it on.

• Like 1

crossover updates for the kg5.5's(they are way past due) if he hasnt yet then another sub or better yet get some diy 18's!

EDIT: I see now op has 4 powered subs..should be good...

I also believe the 7007 has more than sufficient power for near any home theater...

I am firmly on the facts you are loosing the dynamics from your kg 5.5's thus updated crossovers will bring back the sound with no blank spots which i feel you may be actually finding with the low frequency boom in your woofers in the kg 5.5's not responding due to aged crossovers.....

Edited by beeker
  • Like 1

crossover updates for the kg5.5's(they are way past due) if he hasnt yet then another sub or better yet get some diy 18's!

EDIT: I see now op has 4 powered subs..should be good...

I also believe the 7007 has more than sufficient power for near any home theater...

I am firmly on the facts you are loosing the dynamics from your kg 5.5's thus updated crossovers will bring back the sound with no blank spots which i feel you may be actually finding with the low frequency boom in your woofers in the kg 5.5's not responding due to aged crossovers.....

yeah but he said only happens on certain movies.

Rechecked settings and dynamic eq was on. it is now off. All speakers are set to large, only thing i see in the levels is that center is -10db and subwoofer are -12db. all crossovers are full band,the EQ settings for the speakers is mostly attenuation, the fronts have a -20db cut around 60hz. I'm sure thats because of the nice square room. Ill retest it with the dynamic eq off when my daughter isn't sleeping and see if that did it.

Either way the 7007 will deliver power. Maybe reset button and start out fresh....

Most films use some adjusting to get the best sound as an individual/s prefer ..

Does seem some extreme db adjustment with your system altogether...

Could be all the equipment you have attached to a power conditioner/s or outlets/s does/do not allow for full power to sustain in certain movies etc...

This would take multiple power conditioners etc...Just like in some situations with certain amps when plugged into a conditioner it only allows so much power to be supported by one source...then plug that same amp directly into the wall and BAM its night and day with so much more power...frequent issue..try it

I believe you have too much amperage being pulled from one source therefore power fluctuates in certain areas etc...

• Like 1

haha. already thought of that too. have 2 panamax 5300s, the 7007 is on one, the subs on the other. both panamaxs are ran on separate circuits. BUT the power in this house is horrible. it took forever to get rid of a handshake issue on my projector that only happened when the dishwasher turned on. had to tighten all the lugs in the breaker box and all connections on the dishwasher and the outlets and give the ground strap a good cleaning. once they put a digital can in the meter box that made a huge improvement.