Where's the boom?

McMiRA

True staement reference no doubt!

Power in the home dose sound like it is the issue. Only other spot i would consider and not that much is the 7007 failing to its full capacity.

I have ran into many situations installing when multiple amps vary in power value with same results. I would consider a diy dual or quad 18" subwoofer setup. Your subs will sell well and your amplifier of choice will lower the electricity bill by a nice amount as well..

True staement reference no doubt!

Power in the home dose sound like it is the issue. Only other spot i would consider and not that much is the 7007 failing to its full capacity.

I have ran into many situations installing when multiple amps vary in power value with same results. I would consider a diy dual or quad 18" subwoofer setup. Your subs will sell well and your amplifier of choice will lower the electricity bill by a nice amount as well..

The bass isn't the issue, i have bass for days. even if they aren't the best subs out there. The receiver is turned way down on the subs and the subs themselves are turned down. The issue is the rest of the content that just seems to go extremely muddy and muffled. but ONLY on the transformers movies. Im going to give it a try again when i don't have a 7 moth old sleeping.

Any chance there is some kind of compression going on in the ps3?

I understand completely. Trust me. I have hooked up 20 amplifiers in a single plug and it does not work the way you want, believe that. fluctuation of electricity is not consistant. It can be understood to a point although varies too much to put a finger on it to a T especially in large theater systems such as what you are running. Good thread...just hope you understand too much power and you mentioning the dish washer effects sound you indeed are have electricity issues with so much amperage being pulled from 1 or 2 or even a 3rd wall from the house next door. I have seen this with a simple component system....cassete deck,avr,cdp,dvd,vcr,powered sub etc alone...it will fluctuate and vary and make home theaters vary in sound...cheers to you...try some adjustments

best regards

Cutting at 60 would drop off some of the current being pulled and might help. I'll give it a shot, can't hurt. Crazy thing is it does the same thing on the movies when being played at lower volumes. It drives me nuts because that's the first movies people pick out when they want a demo of the room.

Cutting at 60 would drop off some of the current being pulled and might help. I'll give it a shot, can't hurt. Crazy thing is it does the same thing on the movies when being played at lower volumes. It drives me nuts because that's the first movies people pick out when they want a demo of the room.

Make sure you don't have Audyssey's Dynamic Volume on by accident. I hate it even more than Dynamic EQ! [This from someone who likes Audyssey]

FWIW, I've read that most "good" (name brand) AVRs deliver only about 80% of their rated power if all channels are operating. That's one good reason to go to separates, rated at RMS, with all channels operating. Since it sometimes happens at lower volumes, I wonder if the Transformers movies send some of the LFE to the mains, when the mains are set for large? You could turn off the subs and listen for it. Audyssey, THX, and most experts are against using large, but REW curves and my ears tell me that there isn't a phase problem with large in our room, but maybe there is in yours?

Transformers movies will rot your brain.

Edited by Garyrc

Maybe I should have named this thread something else, I'm not lacking I'm the bass department. I have a small room with decent treatment. The part that is missing is the REST of the effects that go with the explosions. The dialog. The breaking glass. The twisting metal. It all goes to mudd but only on these movies. I am going to do some reconfiguring when I get back from our little trip. Right now 2 subs are ran LFE and the other 2 are ran as a left and a right front. I'll put them all on LFE and play with the crossovers phase and size settings. Until then I'm going to sit here I this deck, drink my coffee and enjoy the view e9eqe9y9.jpg

Edited by McMiRA

crossover updates for the kg5.5's(they are way past due) if he hasnt yet then another sub or better yet get some diy 18's!

I am firmly on the facts you are loosing the dynamics from your kg 5.5's thus updated crossovers will bring back the sound with no blank spots which i feel you may be actually finding with the low frequency boom in your woofers in the kg 5.5's not responding due to aged crossovers.....

forgive my lack of knowledge here... but how would aged x-overs effect the bass of a speaker? arent the caps only for mid/high freq? i've heard this mentioned before & have asked but got no answer... how does changing/updating "aged crossovers" change or improve the bass responce of a speaker?

Two rw-12d is not enough. You need two or three more... ;)

If bad on Transformer and ok with 007, it could be the source; eg, the movie/media itself. Not all booms are coded the same.

You could turn off all surround channels and let the center and lfe produce sound. If you still not getting the boom you want

with all surround channels off, it's "probably" source.

If the boom sounds better with only the center and lfe hooked up, you probably need more power. But I don't see how this would be since both subs have built-in amp.

Without making other changes to your current speaker settings, play both movies - to check each other, and see if the result is constant and consistent with the above suggestions.

the explosions. The dialog. The breaking glass. The twisting metal. It all goes to mudd but only on these movies

Still sounds like compression.

Still sounds like Dynamic Volume is on ... movies that have wide dynamic range suffer most.

the explosions. The dialog. The breaking glass. The twisting metal. It all goes to mudd but only on these movies

Still sounds like compression.

Still sounds like Dynamic Volume is on ... movies that have wide dynamic range suffer most.

Which is a type of compression. You may be correct.

A lot of us have the same movie and are not experiecning the same thing. We all have different room but, compression is a common cause of this and needs to be ruled out. I have owned subs that sound good in one room and made a fart in a much larger room for lack of a better term All the subs should be connected to the LFE on the avr. What are the dimension and type of room is the OP system in?

Edited by derrickdj1