Any Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 naysayers in the house

Max2

Maybe you guys can enlighten me on Audyssey. First off, Im probably 95%+ music with my 5 channel setup. But no matter what source it seems its just a calculation jacking with EQ settings. It sounds like clarity takes a dive, my tweeters become harsh and my mids become compressed. Looking at the charts it looks like it is peaking the tweeters trying to get them to get flat at 20K cycles and changing settings all over the place. Maybe Movies would be a better for Aud. and maybe it shouldn't be used for music at all, but the so called "room correction" isn't making my tunes sound better. Should I get some software and a Mic and just get a real room reading?

Maybe Movies would be a better for Aud.

Movie experience jumped by a factor of 2 in my room. Music, especially mulitchannel, a factor of 3. I have a very "live" room and Audyssey MultEQ XT(not XT32) really showed it's capabilities with my room and more specifically with the proprietary "NAD" EQ curve. I use it with all music and choose the standard Audyssey MultEQ XT curve for movies.

Bill

• Like 1

Audyssey XT32 here, I love it for both music and movie. I didn't like it at first, but after recalibrating according to the guide over at avs forum, everthing sounds great. I have dynamic eq on with reference offset at 15db for music. XT32 is very high resolution so you have to measure carefully. Anyway, that's just my room and my ears.

• Like 2

Audyssey is mallarky :) Just a new ploy to sell more gear. I have it on my current surround sound receivers but dont use it. If you like it cheers for you. Every year ya gotta buy something new or manufauctureres cant put food on the table. I'm only gonna worry about my table sorry manufactuers :)

• Like 2

Audyssey is mallarky

:(

Just a new ploy to sell more gear.

Possibly true to some extent but it sure works with my gear, in my room, to my ears. :D

Bill

Right on! Not trying to start a war by any means. Everybody has there own opinion. I will say once you are hooked on audyssey

there will be no turning back so to speak. I have tuned a dozen different systems with auto calib eq's such as audyssey and prefer tuning with by ear or by ear&meter and leave it. I have also been to a number of friends houses with the audysey mic sitting there like a $150 option thats not as effective as we would want. I have at least 5 different audysey systems(mics) in sealed boxes smashed into my audio literature bookshelf. Yes I have used it myself in with several different models. Its truly a hook to pull us in. A $20=$5shipping meter from parts express and/or just your ears bar none...

I find them very inaccurate as well...Please prove me wrong? I know a few people only a couple on here possibly that would challenge someone saying is garbage although in a few years the next(high end kinda fish oil)tactics with prove to be even more useless, IMO

Cheers...Enjoy :)

Im actually and my gear has it .....non user of hdmi xept bluray...another thread tho. just another hook i do not catch too.

• Like 1

I have fooled with all the revisions of Audyssey over the years. What I found was that it seems to be targeted at moviewatchers. There is some good info Audyssey gives for music. Those are the distance to speakers and gain levels. However, so far as the EQ-ing and phase alignment, those don't seem to do ordinary music any good. They make SACD and DVD-A sound fantastic though.

Edited by mustang guy

I have fooled with all the revisions of Audyssey over the years. What I found was that it seems to be targeted at moviewatchers. There is some good info Audyssey gives for music. Those are the distance to speakers and gain levels. However, so far as the EQ-ing and phase alignment, those don't seem to do ordinary music any good. They make SACD and DVD-A sound fantastic though.

I do agree as well...movies fluctuate in noise from one area to the other frequently at times...never really thought of it as the movie option mostly...I just pass.. Have used it...just seems a bit cheap and overated thus getting more bucks for food on other tables

• Like 1

I use Audyssey Pro in my system. Although Audyssey is not perfect, I feel it is worthwhile if properly used. In my system, I would no longer think of going without it. All I have to do is turn it off and it is clear what Audyssey can do to reduce unwanted room modes etc. That goes for 2 channel, 5.1 or 7.1.

As always, YMMV.

• Like 1

Yes it seems most auto eq programs are geared toward a movie experience. After running different auto set ups I found basic music to be very plain, really thin and way to much midrange. With muti ch music and other 5.1 (or bigger) content it sounds pretty good with just the auto programs. Music sounds imo pretty boring played back flat. And that's what these auto eq try and do (is get a flat eq).

Audyssey is mallarky :) Just a new ploy to sell more gear. I have it on my current surround sound receivers but dont use it. If you like it cheers for you. Every year ya gotta buy something new or manufauctureres cant put food on the table. I'm only gonna worry about my table sorry manufactuers :)

Wasn't Claude running it when you raved about his 1/4 pies?

I prefer audyssey to any other eq I've heard in my home. Music not so much. I prefer the sound of my pioneer sx-980 anyday. I agree with ref head. Flat is boring for music. I keep bass +2 and loudness on unless I really crank then loudness goes off.

• Like 2

:D

Edited by beeker
  • Like 1

Maybe you guys can enlighten me on Audyssey...Should I get some software and a Mic and just get a real room reading?

Tell us about your room - and perhaps a picture...?

I've a hunch that Audyssey does much better in relatively dead rooms with well controlled room modes. It has never worked well in my relatively live room (i.e., live compared to typical HT rooms). I use Audyssey only for setting channel delays and channel gains - but not EQ or "dynamic EQ". These functions have never worked at all in my room.

I've found that REW with a microphone works much better. I also traded out to a Behringer DEQ2496 with the same microphone to do pink noise auto-EQ averaged over time -- this seems to work much better in coordination. REW does up sweeps like Audyssey does. I use both units to walk into the EQ, then transferred the EQ settings to my active crossovers. Voila!

Chris

• Like 1

I have to state facts. With Claudes whole system working together, from 510's,402's ,quarter pies, super spuds It is near impossible to create the sound like he can produce. And with Claudes knowledge of Audessey through years of use he gets more out of that feature than people with ordinary setups.

• Like 1

:D

Why did you edit out your comments? You do know that when a post is quoted an email of the original is sent right?

Maybe you guys can enlighten me on Audyssey...Should I get some software and a Mic and just get a real room reading?

Tell us about your room - and perhaps a picture...?

I've a hunch that Audyssey does much better in relatively dead rooms with well controlled room modes. It has never worked well in my relatively live room (i.e., live compared to typical HT rooms). I use Audyssey only for setting channel delays and channel gains - but not EQ or "dynamic EQ". These functions have never worked at all in my room.

I've found that REW with a microphone works much better. I also traded out to a Behringer DEQ2496 with the same microphone to do pink noise auto-EQ averaged over time -- this seems to work much better in coordination. REW does up sweeps like Audyssey does. I use both units to walk into the EQ, then transferred the EQ settings to my active crossovers. Voila!

Chris

Room is 20' wide and 16' deep, and too much furniture. Its certainly not a proper theater or sound room. Also it has a Dovetail 8' ceiling and carpeted floor. What Im hearing is just a boosted top end sound with just Audyssey running. Adding the Dynamic EQ option just boosts bass and treble even more. With K's up front and LaScala rears I hear everything its doing, even as bad as my ears are. I have run it and re -run it with different seating positions and it makes no difference. Im wondering if the sweeps are trying to get the K-77's to pull way past 17khz where they are pretty much done. If so, this may be why its trying to boost them so much and giving them a harsh sound. Its really noticeable with a good recording, its just shrilled all the details out.

• Like 2