Bang For My Buck PC Upgrade?

Windows 8 is to operating systems what Bose is to high fidelity.

:)

LOL! C'mon man, think of Bose as the gateway drug to Klipsch, so it's all good.

But I do thank you for translating computer-speak into speaker-speak. :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80

There are already ways to make Windows 8 have a traditional START Button and look/act more like Windows 7.

But it's still got plenty of issues, for instance as I mentioned limits for my HTPC. Windows 8 did not come with Windows Media Center but because of complaints there is a Windows Media Center add on, however the Windows 8 Media Center add on is limited in how it can modified and customized or modified with other Media Center add ons.

Until Windows 8 every new version of Windows has offered something I wanted and thought of as an upgrade (except maybe Windows Millenium) but I don't see anything I want added in Windows 8 just seems more like a down grade.

But it's still got plenty of issues, for instance as I mentioned limits for my HTPC. Windows 8 did not come with Windows Media Center but because of complaints there is a Windows Media Center add on, however the Windows 8 Media Center add on is limited in how it can modified and customized or modified with other Media Center add ons.

Before the XPS support drop, I was going to have this same buddy build me an HTPC instead of upgrading to a new desktop PC. He was willing and able but refused to install Windows 8 for those same reasons you mentioned. He said Windows 7 was the only way to go for media.

Then I just opted to get a new PC when he threw me the rocking deal on the XPS 8700 that I could not refuse.

Bill

• Moderators

Bill, like some of the others, I typically build my own computer and a few months back I did just that.

It's an i5 processor with 8GB memory (upgradable to 64GB), 2 GB Graphics Card, 1 TB SATA HD with Windows 7 64 Bit and two 1 TB HD in Raid Configuration for storage.

I'm usually simultaneously working in Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver while having Quickbooks open as well as sometimes 15 - 20 tabs in my browser and it's blazing fast with absolutely no hickups.

In most cases, adding memory is the cheapest and the best performance booster but in your case, as mentioned, increasing your memory will not be noticable until you get to the point where you are getting close to 8GB of used memory. If you only have a few applications open at the same time, you likely aren't coming close to using up all of your available memory. If you only had 2GB, I would say buy more memory.

Not sure how you do it on Windows 8 (have no desire to switch to it) but on Windows 7, hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and click the performance tab. You will see under Physical memory your total and avalable (unused) memory. Test this with the normal programs that you have open on a daily basis to get an idea of how much you are using. If you have 8GB of memory, your Total should say around 8 million K.

I have not moved to SSD but have read it's a great improvement in startup time on your computer and is extremely fast to access the data (ie Operating System). This would likely be a worthy upgrade but it's a pain to setup a new OS and move data, reinstall drivers, programs etc.

Unless you are gaming, watching HD video, video editing etc, I'm not sure the graphics card will be a huge upgrade for you.Sound

Sound card? I've never used a high end sound card in my setup. That's what my 2ch system is for. I know you send music from your PC to your HT but if I remember correctly, that is done wirelessly. Sound card would only benefit you if you were to run a hard wire from your computer to the HT which for you would be a 40ft run.G

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Michael, it all helps.

Truthfully, this new Dell takes less than 12 seconds from power up to my sign on page. More responsive by a long shot over any other PC I have ever used/owned.

Bill

Edited by willland

Bill, like some of the others, I typically build my own computer and a few months back I did just that.

It's an i5 processor with 8GB memory (upgradable to 64GB), 2 GB Graphics Card, 1 TB SATA HD with Windows 7 64 Bit and two 1 TB HD in Raid Configuration for storage.

I'm usually simultaneously working in Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver while having Quickbooks open as well as sometimes 15 - 20 tabs in my browser and it's blazing fast with absolutely no hickups.

In most cases, adding memory is the cheapest and the best performance booster but in your case, as mentioned, increasing your memory will not be noticable until you get to the point where you are getting close to 8GB of used memory. If you only have a few applications open at the same time, you likely aren't coming close to using up all of your available memory. If you only had 2GB, I would say buy more memory.

Not sure how you do it on Windows 8 (have no desire to switch to it) but on Windows 7, hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and click the performance tab. You will see under Physical memory your total and avalable (unused) memory. Test this with the normal programs that you have open on a daily basis to get an idea of how much you are using. If you have 8GB of memory, your Total should say around 8 million K.

I have not moved to SSD but have read it's a great improvement in startup time on your computer and is extremely fast to access the data (ie Operating System). This would likely be a worthy upgrade but it's a pain to setup a new OS and move data, reinstall drivers, programs etc.

You are obviously a sophisticated computer guy, but I can tell you the SSD is probably made more for the apps like you use, than for what I do, which is more internet oriented these days.

You are right, it is a pain to setup a new OS, etc like you say, but after all the work, I think you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner. It's like getting a newer, faster computer.

Since you just built your system a few months ago, how much space did you use? The cloning software works really well and is seamless, so you might be able to simply migrate your system onto a new SSD. The ONLY caveat is that the cloning software is all or nothing, you cannot pick and choose the programs you want from the old HDD.

If it were me, I would save your money and upgrade when your computer no longer meets your needs

Again, sound advice from the Youthman.

But, my buddy Jon has a way in finding some really crazy deals on new computer parts so maybe I'll just wait to when he finds one on the Samsung EVO 840 SSD. Knowing him, I would not be surprised if within a week or two, he points me to another 50% off deal that I would pull the trigger on.

Bill

If it were me, I would save your money and upgrade when your computer no longer meets your needs

Again, sound advice from the Youthman.

But, my buddy Jon has a way in finding some really crazy deals on new computer parts so maybe I'll just wait to when he finds one on the Samsung EVO 840 SSD. Knowing him, I would not be surprised if within a week or two, he points me to another 50% off deal that I would pull the trigger on.

Bill

The Samsung 840 Evo is a fine piece of hardware. If you can find yourself a good deal on one Bill, I totally recommend jumping at the chance. Like I said in my review about mine, aside from my video card, the ssd is one of the biggest leaps in performance I've even seen. What ram you have seems more than enough for your needs, and unless you plan on playing graphic intense video games, I think the money would be better spent on the ssd.

You beat me to it, Youthman!

When I was looking for mine a few months ago, they were running around $180, and I wouldn't buy one until the drop to $150, and I got one for the lowest price I had seen to that point, $139 from Amazon.

The Egg does that all the time time with their prices, bumping them up and down, but this $135 is the lowest I've seen.

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/May-0-2014/48HoursOnly-06/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL050614&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL050614-_-EMC-050614-Index-_-E0-_-HDDSSD&et_cid=7499&et_rid=2679987

Time to pull the trigger on that SSD, and don't forget to get an HDD docking station (or search Egg for "data transfer kit" for an $20 solution if you are going to clone the old HDD.)

Make sure your PC case will hold a 2.5 drive, or you will need a $6 adapter to hold it. Some cases already include these, so you might want to check.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817984021

If you do forget the mounting bracket, you can just Velcro the drive in. They only weight a few ounces and put out NO heat, and of course have no moving parts.

And make sure you have a SATA cable. Some DIY cases come with them, but with a brand name computer you will likely have to order what you need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119231

You might need a power cable as well from the power supply to the SSD, so check inside your case to see what is there.

Then get back to us for some install tips. B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

The SSD is BY FAR the best bang for your buck. The Samsung 840 EVO for $150 is the one you want.

I just received an email from Newegg saying that it's on sale for for 48 Hours $134.99 with free shipping

Use promo code EMCPEPC32

Or get the Samsung 840 pro series 128GB for $107.99 use promo code EMCPEPC34

128GB should be plenty of space for you operating system and programs, you'll want to put everything else on another drive anyway. The 840 pro series is a better drive made with better memory and should have a longer life span.

• Like 1

on Windows 7, hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and click the performance tab.
Only if it hasn't been joined to a domain. You can simply right click on the task bar to get to the task manager as well. BTW, Windows 8 has a way better task manager.

Bruce