New topic on my turntable upgrading

USNRET

• 3 weeks later...

Or, what's up with these SUTs and head amps I hear about. Does another link in the chain reduce quality?

Thoughts?

I look at it as another aspect of 'components' rather than integrated in one unit, for which a separate component gives you a better opportunity to better match the step-up ratio to the cartridge you select.

Step up transformers can introduce noise if you dont get a pair that are made really well, as I recall grounding was key, that said the stevens and billington were super nice and very quiet.

Agreed, the implementation is probably key.

I don't know. I want to marry up the cart and arm and the arm is more than phono stage or preamp. If these SUTs are not a detractor it seems a viable option.

Since the 70's I have felt that LOMC was better just never had the setup to take advantage.

I don't know all of the nuances, but it seems that it is just a matter on one being internally wired and the other uses interconnects. I suspect that not much different than separate amps and pre amps where quality interconnects, cable and appropriate grounding probably go a long way.

I believe that Mark used Jensen SUTs in the cream option and Craig has a couple of options using the Lundahl MC SUT in the NBS.

I don't know much about matching a SUT to a cartridge since I'm not to that point with any of my systems.

The wiring of a SUT is not really complex. Here are a couple of DIY SUTs using old transformers from United Transformer Company (UTC) that sound good.

hi fyd

I acquired a utc a-10 some time ago. Now I'm up to build one myself. Could you please help me with providing the (unfortunately missing) picture of the guts of your utc a-10 sut? I'm planning to do a 1:30 or 1:20 sut for my 0.2mV cartridge and not completely sure how to get everything connected.

thx. rye

Edited by rye667

I don't know much about matching a SUT to a cartridge since I'm not to that point with any of my systems.

The wiring of a SUT is not really complex. Here are a couple of DIY SUTs using old transformers from United Transformer Company (UTC) that sound good.

hi fyd

I acquired a utc a-10 some time ago. Now I'm up to build one myself. Could you please help me with providing the (unfortunately missing) picture of the guts of your utc a-10 sut? I'm planning to do a 1:30 or 1:20 sut for my 0.2mV cartridge and not completely sure how to get everything connected.

thx. rye

I looked and don't have any additional pictures of the A-10s. Once the prices started to rise, the A-10s found a new home.

Here are a couple of links to help understand the math involved in matching the cartridge to the transformer as it can be somewhat tricky.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/sut.htm

http://jelabsarch.blogspot.com/2012/06/mc-step-up-transformers.html

http://www.vinylengine.com/step-ups-and-mc-cartridges.shtml

Edited by Fjd

Ok I'll be the first to say it ...... I bought a nbs. When I bought it I knew it was a re-do of the blueberry. I was extremely happy with my blueberry extreme. Having owned a peach (actually the second one sold) and the original blueberry I was and am a huge fan of the quality delivered at the price. In fact take the price out of it. The blueberry is a spectacular piece of equipment price be damned. I bought the nbs because it was a hand wired blueberry - or at least that was what I understood ! I had problems with the RCA jacks being attached to the circuit board on the blueberry so a hand wired version was attractive.It is an awesome piece as well.

Just my two cents

I've been working on it since the BBX got copied

Well you see something good came out of all of it after all.....Juicy Music customers are no longer hanging out in the wind with no support.

I'm taking it this "Cheap Shot" is not an admission of copywrite infringement:-0 I'm sure the words "Class Act" have also never been associated with you as well! I will say and admit, you do have your followers and then there are the rest of us;-)

To be clear I never had any issues whatsoever with any of the juicymusic preamps I have owned. They include the Peach, Merlin Blueberry, and Blueberry Extreme. All of them are spectacular preamps. And none of them ever required support. Or repair. If I didn't move equipment in and out as often as I do , I am quite sure I would still own the BBX as my only concern was the RCA jacks.

Josh

OK boys this is my thread ya'll take a chill pill. I have had great service and great products from both of you. This is not becoming of either of you. Do not make me pull over and stop this car!

• Like 1