Have I Created a Monster ?

I have been playing with audio in many forms over the years and have spent countless money and hours on dozens of systems. Through it all my wife has made several road trips with me not because she cared about the audio but because she wanted to get out of Maryland (when I met her she had never left the state)

Setting up all those systems she had heard every change and never once cared enough to say more than "it sounds good" and then walk away. I tried many times to talk to her about various aspects of the music, the clarity, the bass, the detail, soundstage you name it I tried. She would humor me but it was obvious she could care less

Forward to mothers day 2014, I bought my wife a pair of entry level headphones because she likes to watch videos on her tablet

(Sennheiser HD-202) they are light weight and smallish perfect for her. She puts them on and goes to her music (which I pretty much refuse to listen to, Kenny Chesney :emotion-41: )

Next words out of her mouth "I have never heard that before" :unsure2: since that day she has Listened to her music more than ever before, Of course I take every opportunity to poke at her about it stuff like "Oh now you see what better gear can do huh, Imagine how much more you have been missing"

It's kind of fun to watch her listening now, I think I must have wore her down some. (I just hope she doesn't go whole hog into the upgrade thing like me :wacko2: )

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

I probably wouldn't be too thrilled about all that money being thrown into stereo equipment either if you refused to listen to my music, too. Kenny Chesney is pretty good, btw. :rolleyes:

I have been playing with audio in many forms over the years and have spent countless money and hours on dozens of systems. Through it all my wife has made several road trips with me not because she cared about the audio but because she wanted to get out of Maryland (when I met her she had never left the state)

Setting up all those systems she had heard every change and never once cared enough to say more than "it sounds good" and then walk away. I tried many times to talk to her about various aspects of the music, the clarity, the bass, the detail, soundstage you name it I tried. She would humor me but it was obvious she could care less

Forward to mothers day 2014, I bought my wife a pair of entry level headphones because she likes to watch videos on her tablet

(Sennheiser HD-202) they are light weight and smallish perfect for her. She puts them on and goes to her music (which I pretty much refuse to listen to, Kenny Chesney :emotion-41: )

Next words out of her mouth "I have never heard that before" :unsure2: since that day she has Listened to her music more than ever before, Of course I take every opportunity to poke at her about it stuff like "Oh now you see what better gear can do huh, Imagine how much more you have been missing"

It's kind of fun to watch her listening now, I think I must have wore her down some. (I just hope she doesn't go whole hog into the upgrade thing like me :wacko2: )

:emotion-21::emotion-25: Yes getting the wife involved was good on my end some years back, however as of yesterday, Khorns installed, she promply grabs a chair and ask me if she is in the "Sweet Spot", um yes dear, at that she closes her eye's and just sits.

Not being one to stand there and watch her, I scurry back out to the Cave and wait.

As I stated in the other thread, she knows the Bells are coming, likes the Khorns, but wants to hear the Bells. what have I created ?

I probably wouldn't be too thrilled about all that money being thrown into stereo equipment either if you refused to listen to my music, too. Kenny Chesney is pretty good, btw. :rolleyes:

Cant stand most country, when I grew up my mother would not allow us to play anything unless she was gone or asleep, A vivid memory from youth is saturday morning we are listening to Leo Sayer, My Mother coming down the steps yelling woh woh yay yay and promptly turning off the radio, and putting us to work cleaning the house

Her musical choices at the time conway twitty, bill anderson, loretta lynn, tammy wynett. Best stereo I had growing up was a cassette player and a transistor radio at low volumes

I would visit friends and they all had stereo's which I envied quite a bit

one of the first items i bought when I joined the service was a Sansui stereo from one of those rental stores

Congratulations joe. It is always nice when couples share one another's hobby.

I seriously doubt she will go much further but I will keep poking at it. I find the discussion of audio interesting as well. If I can get her into that realm then we can VIGOROUSLY DEBATE what is better or not :D

• Moderators

I seriously doubt she will go much further but I will keep poking at it. I find the discussion of audio interesting as well. If I can get her into that realm then we can VIGOROUSLY DEBATE what is better or not :D

Hopefully you have created a monster.

Years ago my wife would ask me what I was reading when I was here, I would tell her some of the stories from this forum which some are funny, eventually she wanted to know what was going on and joined herself after getting to know some people here. Her reading here got her more into audio, before she just wanted to listen to music.

All this led her into going to Hope where she heard a set of speakers she had to have :o I was shocked but happy, now she really only wants to just listen to music but knows the difference in sound and is not happy with just any sound.

This is a good thing because before she would just go along with ideas just to make me happy but not anymore which is a big help.

Hopefully you have created a monster.

Years ago my wife would ask me what I was reading when I was here, I would tell her some of the stories from this forum which some are funny, eventually she wanted to know what was going on and joined herself after getting to know some people here. Her reading here got her more into audio, before she just wanted to listen to music.

All this led her into going to Hope where she heard a set of speakers she had to have :o I was shocked but happy, now she really only wants to just listen to music but knows the difference in sound and is not happy with just any sound.

This is a good thing because before she would just go along with ideas just to make me happy but not anymore which is a big help.

You may have found a partial cure for the upgrade bug..............I often involve the wife in threads here she is always asking what I find so funny, so I have her read the thread

WhenI first joined the forum I read a story about a member testing out a tazer (wish I could find that again) I laughed so hard for better than 30 minutes I was crying.......wife thought I was nuts

• Moderators

I remember that and did the same, it was really funny, wish I knew where it was.

Along time ago there was a contest (I think) by Klipsch about having your first klipsch speakers, there were some great stories. I looked for it and could never find it either.

A member Moon had posted the video where you stare at the screen looking for a ghost and it pops up and loudly and screams at you making you jump. My wife cursed Moon, later posting to him and both were laughing.

After 34 years of marriage, my wife who also never cared or really listened to music has done a turn-about since we started listening to vinyl in the last few weeks. I bought her a couple of LP's for Mother's Day, that were of bands, neither I nor Neil Young cared for, as well as that band that just knows the one song about the "Free Bird" :). Actually I've mellowed on the subject since the early 70's. She just called me at work a few minutes ago to ask how to turn that stereo equipment on so that she could listen. Progress...better late than never!

wife on the turn table :o , I came home from work one morning and found my stylus setting on my platter :angry: of course the wife was only trying to clean off the dust and the duster feather caught the stylus, needless to say I was glad it was only a denon 103 d I had to replace

New rule no dusting the stereo, soon after it all moved to the basement. I was working minimum 12 hours a day 6 days a week nights

I am now permanently out of vinyl so I don't have to worry about such things. My biggest audio worry is praying I don't lose 3 hard drives at once

saw that and of course got out my stir stick :emotion-14: , cables will never cause an argument in my house, I have no doubt better wire can affect sound in a MINOR way, some people I know and have heard there systems are believers and will tell you flat out they are for tuning and not to expect an epiphany in sound.

I dabbled with cables a bit never spent over 100.00 for anything and frankly my hearing would not allow me to hear a difference, headphones have opened this up to me and I can hear subtle differences between wires etc... however I would not spend the money to own them as the price is not worth the CHANGE in sound (notice I did not say improvement)

a new amp / dac will do tons more than a new cable

I am tempted to do a little tube rolling in the SE-84 and see what I can hear there with headphones