Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

I was cranking last night, and I looked over at my Yamaha amps (which drive the 1/4 Pies)... The lights were flickering for 1 watt. I would bet the Topping T chip amps were way less than 1 watt.

Based on experience and measurments of my former DH1A drivers, I'd say about 0.1 watts or less.

Here is what I get when i run the front 3 individually, and the subs individually.

Left channel...

111314leftchannel1400_zps4940aa5e.jpg

Center channel...

111314centerchannel1400_zps1e36d244.jpg

Right channel...

111314rightchannel1400_zpse0f973ad.jpg

Sub 1

111314rearsub1400_zpsc0955829.jpg

Sub 2

111314frontsub1400_zps1289f0d7.jpg

When I look at the 2 subs I see (what to me is big) a difference. Can you tell which sub is close to the wall and which one is farther out? Is it EQ-able to get them to be closer in the sweep... Or does it not matter? When I look at 15 Hz I see almost 15db difference... Would one DTS-10 out of phase do this?

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 1

Yesterday was not a good day... Our HVAC stopped working so we had a friend who is a contractor look at it. He found that our new 24v 75a transformer was not working, nor was our HVAC controller board, and our 3 installed thermostats were only back lighting no info at all. He decided to check our wall outlet and discovered 150Vs! He then checked our other outlets and found the same thing. He finally checked the service panel and found that we had 300V coming into the house from PG&E! I called and they told me to safely power down everything in the house.  We did and after 2 crews coming out they changed the connections on each end of the line running to our house and the transformer... re tested and now it is fine. So far we have the 24v transformer, zone controller, and 3 thermostats that are bad. I ordered the replacements today and parts alone was $1100. I think by the time this is done PG&E will have close to a $2k bill. Now today I also notice that our ISY (HA Lighting controller is acting weird... It will work via switches and the web but not via the LAN or wireless. If that is damaged it is another $200+ for the part. I just hope PG&E covers the whole bill.

Update: 

I haven't gotten anything done in the last week as we are waiting until the HVAC work is all done. After that point I have a laborer that is going to come over and help me get the front and rear wall acoustics completed.

Since we have the front three channels dialed in with REW I have been listening to my CDs, and music videos in 2.1. I have to tell you that i am so pleased as to the way it sounds! This is the first time i have ever heard a sub that integrated so well with speakers without having the one note bass. I have had a couple of friends over and they have also commented on how well the setup is now integrated. Next on the tuning will be dialing in the subs to see if they can get even better! 

I just installed a Darbee 5000 last night, and it makes a night and day difference on my setup. When I turn it on it is like I just fine tuned the focus. It is most noticeable when I turn it off and see the whole image appear to go a bit out of focus. I picked mine up BNIB at www.smarthome.com for $257 as a closeout item.

Since we have the front three channels dialed in with REW I have been listening to my CDs, and music videos in 2.1. I have to tell you that i am so pleased as to the way it sounds! This is the first time i have ever heard a sub that integrated so well with speakers without having the one note bass. I have had a couple of friends over and they have also commented on how well the setup is now integrated. Next on the tuning will be dialing in the subs to see if they can get even better! 

Since you and I have the same subs, and you built my Quarter Pie bass horn deisgn, is it safe to say you are a "satisfied customer," so to speak? 

• Like 1

Since you and I have the same subs, and you built my Quarter Pie bass horn deisgn, is it safe to say you are a "satisfied customer," so to speak? 

Yes... Only thing I haven't figured out yet is why the rear Danley drops by almost 20db over the front danley at 15Hz.

Here is the door handle temporarily mounted on our inner HT door. Also here is a picture of the same style door handle on the outside of the HT (I will have the same work done to the outer door handle so it matches the inner door handle). Light is powered by a 9v battery. The inner door still needs the fabric panels to be made and installed.

20141127_115027_zps8f5ffcc1.jpg

OurHTdoor_zps5d85f0c4.jpg

• Like 3

Yesterday we made a bass trap for the rear wall out of 1x10s. We then stuffed the framework with 3 layers of Roxul R60, and covered it with rubber sheeting. Once I get in more Roxul R60, we will build the rear corner traps and cover them just like the rear wall. The rear wall will also get the same treatment as the rest of the walls with fabric panels of GOM covering them.

Here is a picture of the rear wall...

4364c10a-d78a-4032-8583-0e44b6353f68_zps

Here it is covered in rubber sheeting...

4b1ce881-334e-4cf2-8afe-d4fca347eaa7_zps

Projector has ventilation behind, above and to one side of the projector... No vents are covered.

• Like 1

The rubber sheeting is so the upper frequencies are not absorbed.

What's the point of the rubber sheeting. You would think it would reflect sound, as opposed to letting it through for the roxul to absorb it.

Exacty why we did it... The rubber sheeting is so the absorption is mainly bass, and won't over absorb the upper frequencies and make the room dead and lifeless. Some people use pond liner, and other use paper or plastic sheeting. The front wall is the wall that we use for absorbing all frequencies just like the first reflection points. Old School would be live end dend end which is sorta like we have now with the rubber sheeting on the rear wall.

I have to say that every step closer we get to having the speakers, and room tuned is making nice improvements in the sound of the setup. Right now the top end to the bottom of the subs is seamless. We can listen to music in stereo (with subs), and it sounds like a real full range speaker. I am very surprised how well this 2 way crossover plus subs is actually doing. Since we went with the MiniDSPs, and got them dialed in I am listening more to CDs again! Every room mod has me back listening to the same CDs to see how the sound changed in the room. :)

Edited by ellisr63

Based on my knowledge of what you paid for all your stuff, I would say you also have the best "bang for buck" HT setup that I know of, which left you enough cash to put into the most expensive/important component...........the ROOM!!

Congratulations on your success, you have made some wise choices indeed, including filtering out all the conflicting advice you probably got from the internet, as we all do.

• Like 2

Yesterday was interesting... Last night I went to do a Demo of Tomorrow" at -10 (we have demoed at 0 in the past before our latest tuning), and it started out fine and then the whole rack shut down. I checked all the breakers and they were fine. I then started pulling the fuses on the Monster HPS 7000, and they were fine. I then removed all the plugs and plugged them into a power strip and all was fine. I looked at the manual for the HPS 7000 and found out that it had blew the breaker on the Monster HPS 7000. Strange thing is it has never drawn more than 5.5 amps and that was at reference level with the same movie. The Monster is rated at 1800w for the circuit breaker. Why would it do this? I have everything hooked back up again and it is working fine now although I haven't cranked it that high again.

If you are referring to the "Edge of Tomorrow" movie, that opening credit infra sonic sub killer is probably what did it. I bottomed out my DTS-10's with the gain at least 10 db down from normal with my setup. If I knew who the engineer was on the Blue Ray, I would fly to California and throttle the bastard. He has probably destroyed thousands of subs across the nation with that little escapade. Too bad he's anonymous, or he's be sued.

• Like 1

If you are referring to the "Edge of Tomorrow" movie, that opening credit infra sonic sub killer is probably what did it. I bottomed out my DTS-10's with the gain at least 10 db down from normal with my setup. If I knew who the engineer was on the Blue Ray, I would fly to California and throttle the bastard. He has probably destroyed thousands of subs across the nation with that little escapade. Too bad he's anonymous, or he's be sued.

Yep, that is the one we were demoing.