Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

Tonight a couple of friends came over to see the HT progress.... I played some music videos, and the beginning of The Bourne Identity to see how it sounded. We played it a reference levels, and it sounded great (even though the room is not tuned yet, as it only has 7 panels resting on the walls). My friend brought the Chemical Brothers video, and we proceeded to play it at reference levels.... I wanted to see how loud it was outside since it was around 11pm, so we went around the house and I pulled up my sound meter app... 42db at reference level with heavy bass! I have to admit I never expected it to be that quiet. I asked my friends what they thought of the sound, and they said it was distortion free all the way down to the lowest notes. One of my friends said he never expected it to sound so good being in a Home Theater, and was shocked when he saw how quiet it was outside. I can't wait until we get the rest of the tuning completed and the 2nd door sealed. After that there will be one more step... Get the minidsps hooked up and tune the speakers properly. One thing we found out tonight was if you want the best bass... You sit in the 2nd row seats, and if you want the most open sound you sit in the first row. I know this is because I did a quick setup with the 4520, and just ran it in one position instead of 8.

I would definitely recommend to anyone to go with double wall, OSB/GG/DW if you want to get the room quieter.

One thing that surprised me was that even at reference levels my ears did not hurt at all.

:emotion-21: sounds good

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last week has been slow on progress. So far I have made 6 acoustic panels from Roxul 80... I used the 2" thick rockboard, and I think they came out pretty nice since I have no experience making these. I used 1/2" x 3 1/2" pine and poplar wood. I wrapped the backside of the wood with some cheap upholstery material (kinda like the stuff on the bottom of your couch), and then wrapped the frame (except for the part already covered) in GOM. I used a black for some, and a blue for the others. I also made up some 2' x 2' panels of a couple of depths and i am wrapping them with GOM too... These have nothing at all on the inside and are purely cosmetic. Once I get the panels all made I will get some nice pics taken to show the completed HT room.

The sound keeps getting better as we install more Acoustic panels too, as I keep re-running Audyssey as I finish installing new panels. I am still waiting on the rest of the velvet so I can finish off the bass soffits, and the front screen wall.

Once I have all the panels completed we will move on to getting the minidsps setup for bi-amp.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what i was thinking when I said I had a 180" diagonal screen... Ever since i got the Panny, I have been complaining that there was something wrong because i couldn't fill the screen with a 2.35:1 movie even though I had the right throw. Well tonight I found out something... My screen is 180" wide not diagonal! I have been watching my 2.35:1 movies at 180" diagonal (and the picture looks great to me and my guests). The screen will actually do a 195" diagonal 2.35:1 movie. I am all set when I want to get a brighter, shorter throw projector down the road.

I don't know what i was thinking when I said I had a 180" diagonal screen... Ever since i got the Panny, I have been complaining that there was something wrong because i couldn't fill the screen with a 2.35:1 movie even though I had the right throw. Well tonight I found out something... My screen is 180" wide not diagonal! I have been watching my 2.35:1 movies at 180" diagonal (and the picture looks great to me and my guests). The screen will actually do a 195" diagonal 2.35:1 movie. I am all set when I want to get a brighter, shorter throw projector down the road.

Well you did say you where going to go as big as you could so you wouldn't have to upgrade.  Doesn't the Panny go 195". 

• Like 1

Well you did say you where going to go as big as you could so you wouldn't have to upgrade.  Doesn't the Panny go 195".
I ran out of room... If I had another couple of feet of depth I could have went 195". I lost the amount we needed when we put the HIPs behind the screen, as there was a huge beam that was in the way. Edited by ellisr63

• 2 weeks later...

I have a little dilemma... I have a board that i am going to hang on the wall, and i would like to attach my T chip amps, MiniDSPs, and i3 NUCs to it. Any ideas of what would be a nice neat way to attach them to the wood panel?

96214662-6d4d-4240-b41c-1f49d532fae1_zps

Edited by ellisr63

I picked up some strips of metal with holes in them from Lowes today... Sorta like plumbers tape but much thicker and wider. I am hoping they will do a nice job. I was looking at some strips that were similar out of copper, but I really didn't want to pay $5 for 20 inches (even though they would have looked awesome. I will post up some pics when I get them made.

Will you tie strap them?

I am thinking of bending the metal to the shape of the pieces, and screwing it to the wood platform... What I was worried about with velcro was it not being as stable (for when I am attaching the cables to it. I have tried using velcro on my TV tuners and it failed after a while.

Edited by ellisr63

Here is my solution (mock up)... I still need to make a new back board that is longer  and wider (2'x8') which should allow me to add my 2 TV tuners as well as my other i3NUC to the setup. What do you think?

20140915_185000_zpsb1741440.jpg
Edited by ellisr63

I just plugged in one of the amps, and ran it wide open (no speakers connected so no load), and it was bone cold... Does that mean when it is hooked up it will run cold or does it have to have a load to determine whether it needs cooling measures?

I suggest you make it at least 4' deep (deeper is better) to prevent the Herons from stopping over for lunch in your pond (unless you have it covered from the sky so they don't see it).

Frigging Heron got my largest Koi this year.  Too big to swallow so he laid the fish nicely on the side of the pond.

Now I have netting with PVC pipe floating in the pond, with plants and the fish hide under that.

Not suppose to shoot the damn Herons, but I have sat out with the Judge waiting for it.  Like to scare it if I can.  It still flys over from time to time but I've not seen it stop lately.  

• Like 1

I suggest you make it at least 4' deep (deeper is better) to prevent the Herons from stopping over for lunch in your pond (unless you have it covered from the sky so they don't see it).

Frigging Heron got my largest Koi this year.  Too big to swallow so he laid the fish nicely on the side of the pond.

Now I have netting with PVC pipe floating in the pond, with plants and the fish hide under that.

Not suppose to shoot the damn Herons, but I have sat out with the Judge waiting for it.  Like to scare it if I can.  It still flys over from time to time but I've not seen it stop lately.  

My last house we built a Pergula over the pond so it wasn't visible from above and I never had a problem with the Heron.