Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

Over the last few days I have been getting the system up in the new location... I have all the speakers except for the center channel up and running (center channel just needs the drivers installed). The projector is sitting temporarily on a makeshift shelf, and the side surrounds, and rear surrounds are just sitting on the floor waiting to be installed properly (but they are calibrated in their current locations. We have watched a few movies over the last couple of days and all of our guests love the setup. I am going to have to mask the sides as the projector doesn't have enough throw to go the full width (we are around 150" 16x9). Here is my Win 7 desktop shot on the screen... 20140709_085009_zpse8ed3fa8.jpg
  • Like 2

I will get some more day pics soon... Right now I am letting the room air out from the carpet smell, as we don't have the HVAC in yet.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk

I got the center channel up and working today, and hung the rear speakers. Here is a pic of the screen folded up to show part of the front channel speakers... 9068a21c-fea5-48b0-a028-af10797b1a22_zps

Here is an enhanced pic of the seating with the makeshift projector mount (the room is so dark that my cellphone can't capture everything properly)...80292cc5-70e9-4791-8b57-c91451351439_zps

I love the Panasonic AE8000! The picture has so much more detail, and looks great with my SeymourAV XD screen. :)

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 2

Right on. I'm gonna list my 106" screen soon with projector then get the panny 8000 I think. I deserve it. Lol

The Panny has rebates going right now... I think you can get one for around $2k. I think they must be trying to blow them out and have a new model coming out.

a little lighter

Very nice setup, huge screen

The black parts are the 3 1/4 Pies, and the JBL 2360a horns with the EV DH1a drivers... I am using the La Scala AA crossovers and they setup sounds great. I can't wait to see how much better it will sound with the MiniDSPS. :)

• Like 1

Right on. I'm gonna list my 106" screen soon with projector then get the panny 8000 I think. I deserve it. Lol

That will be awesome! You going to look used?
im not sure of the plan yet. Depends on a few things. I've heard guys getting them new for 1800$. Still thinking about a harley and now planning on finishing the basement somewhat. At least the theater room.
  • Like 1

Building it is as much fun as using it.

edit: - running wires not fun. Trying to run all the wires in a finished basement was a mission.

All of our electrical wires are run under our carpeted sub floor as are the rear sub wires... I just hope we never have a problem with the rear sub! I dread having to pull up the rear platform carpet, and 2 layers of OSB with green glue. We did cut a hole in the OSB for the access port but I goofed and didn't swap the side panels... Now our speaker wires are under the sub when they could have been on top. I got smarter on the front sub and swapped them so it will be much easier if we have to do any wiring mods. Luckily all of the speaker wiring runs in the soffits.

I got the black carpet installed on the top of the stage yesterday along with one section of black velvet in the soffits.

Now on to today... What a day today was... It started out with getting the audio rack made, and all the equipment up and running... Pretty good until I checked the NAS. The NAS could not be seen or see any other device on the network. :( I spent a good 5+ hours trying different cables, configs, re-installing the UnRaid software etc... All to no avail. Then my friend Travis comes over and we spent another hour or so with no progress. After he left I was looking for a new motherboard thinking I had a failed lan port on the mb. Well guess what... There were 2 lan ports and one had failed, but the other one worked. I booted in to the new OS and got into the NAS through the web... But it was only seeing 3 of the 4 drives and it didn't know what they were. I was then thinking I might have had a HDD failure after all the on/off cycles of the day. I decided to reload the original OS (good thing I made a copy :) ). I rebooted and went in through the web and it saw all the HDDs. :) Still not out of the woods yet as I have to see if the Parity drive finds any errors. I can't believe that I have had this SuperMicro MB for 1 month over 1 year and that by chance I try the wrong lan port and it was dead. I am thinking it has been dead from day one... Or maybe I am using theo ther one now? Not sure, but I am glad it is up and running without having to buy another MB, CPU, and maybe a HDD.

Well the NAS is working again! Parity checked out ok. Next on the agenda this weekend is to get some of the Roxul R80 panels made up for room tuning, and get the new furnace installed. I am hoping that we can get the new HVAC to the point where we just have to pour the pad, and hookup the AC condenser on Sunday. The fumes from the carpet are still annoying... We have a fan blowing out for 12+ hours each day to try and get them down to zero. I hope to have some more pics this weekend... Even though it is getting harder to take the pics with the room being all black.

Well it looks like my progress will be slowing down for a while as my car was totaled in a 6 car collision yesterday on the way home from HD. I was not at fault so hopefully one of the other cars involved in the collision will pay for my car (I only have liability coverage).a> My Volvo is toast. :(