Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

• Moderators

Looks like everything is going great, I really like how you are going (what seems to you) slow, all these little things your fixing now is the best way to deal with them. If you put any of it off the odds are they may not get done later, it's just the was things go. All these little details will make the end result that much better. Well done

• Like 1

I suggest you make it at least 4' deep (deeper is better) to prevent the Herons from stopping over for lunch in your pond (unless you have it covered from the sky so they don't see it).

Frigging Heron got my largest Koi this year.  Too big to swallow so he laid the fish nicely on the side of the pond.

Now I have netting with PVC pipe floating in the pond, with plants and the fish hide under that.

Not suppose to shoot the damn Herons, but I have sat out with the Judge waiting for it.  Like to scare it if I can.  It still flys over from time to time but I've not seen it stop lately.  

My last house we built a Pergula over the pond so it wasn't visible from above and I never had a problem with the Heron.

We have heated cement patio around the pond.  Keeps the ice off the path in the winter.  I REALLY don't want to cut through one of the wires when anchoring something down,   :(

• Like 1

Well, I just ordered what hopefully will be all I need to finish off the tuning of the room with Roxul R60 (it won't be in till early November as it was a special order out of Canada). I got enough to do the whole front wall 3" deep, plus enough for the area behind the 2nd row seating 6" deep. I have enough of the R80 left to do the ceiling panels. Now  the fun part is to make all the fabric panel frames for the walls, and ceiling (most will be empty with just GOM stretched on them).

I put up a 4' long section of ProStar velvet on our flat black ceiling... WOW, I couldn't believe how much better it looks! The ceiling literally disappears. I am doing it by myself and found out it is a bit hard to do it wrinkle free, but it is so black you can't tell where the wrinkles are. I rubbed it good to get it to adhere and part of it came loose after about 10 minutes... I have went and re rubbed it a few times since and it seems to be holding. We will see how it is in a day or two. I am going to be doing only one strip 30" wide in front of the screen, and then doing more around my ceiling treatments (saves some cash, and will make the ceiling really black!

Well the adhesive failed overnight. It looks like I might have to try pegboard. I think I can just wrap the pegboard (after peeling the paper off), and then apply construction adhesive to the back and maybe use a couple of drywall screws to hold it up or rig up something to hold it in place until it dries.

I just put up the last of the 7 2' x 4' panels of pegboard wrapped in ProStar black velvet and....... IT LOOKS AWESOME! I still can't believe how much better it looks. It looks like the screen is just popping out of nowhere (except for the sides that still need to be masked). Going 4' deep on the ceiling with ProStar was the single biggest improvement for the image quality. I still have to get the Roxul R60 up on the wall behind the screen (3" is on order still), and then put up the black commando cloth for the whole wall behind the screen... I am hoping this takes it up to the next level (although i don't know how it could get much better). When I get the rear wall covered I will be removing the height channels, and moving the screen back another 2'. Then I will be shadow boxing in the last 2' with black velvet. There should be zero light reflection then as the ceiling will have 6' of velvet, the stage will be 2' deeper too. :T

I ended up just using sheetrock screws angled into the sheetrock, and then covered them with scraps of the ProStar velvet.

• Like 1

Sounds like pics are in order :)

Angled up shot at the ceiling when I only had one or 2 panels up...

20140929_130129_zpsbec571b0.jpg

Another shot...

20140929_130116_zps75fa4664.jpg

First row finished (need to order another 500"...

No flash...

20140929_164503_zpsa53f741f.jpg

With flash...

20140929_162819_zpsd53f3338.jpg

Lol hard to see but looks good :). I've been thinking of hanging a few pannels on the celling myself. How did you mount them?

If I knew what i was doing i could take a better pic... All the pics are done with my cell phone. When the theater is 100% done i will get some friends to take some proper shots. The ProStar makes a huge difference IMO. The part of the ceiling that has the ProStar on it disappears, and gives the Illusion that the screen wall is about 2' taller than it is. I used pegboard, cut into 2' x 4', and then wrapped the ProStar (which has adhesive), and then used sheetrock screws (at an angle) to attach to the ceiling. Each panel has 6 screws holding it to the ceiling. When I do my first reflection panels (and my Dolby Atmos height channels), I will use anchors in the ceiling to hold them.

• 2 weeks later...

You may be done by Xmas my friend, lol.

I hope so... I am hoping to be done before Thanksgiving. Our HVAC is supposed to be ready for charging this weekend, finish up drywall, and the last bit of electrical and routing of wires. I have the hallway about 1/3 completed in fabric panels now. Roxul R60 won't be in till end of this month or early next month (that will be the last big project in the HT).

I went to Lowes this weekend, and they said they anticipate my Roxul arriving this week. :) Maybe next week I can get going on the panels, and finish off the HT.

Todays project will be covering the 2 doors in the hallway with GOM. I will also be installing the weatherstripping, and hopefully get my "Man Cave" sign installed... I am waiting for the power cords to arrive for lighting the sign, and hallway as it is pitch black in the hallway. Once I have that done I have a few panels left to make for the hallway, and then make the ceiling fabric panels.

Decided to get a nice metal rack for my main rack... I am getting a Peerless 30U rack for $250 delivered BNIB. :) This should house all my equipment nicely except for my small amps, crossovers, and INUCs which will be mounted on 2 2' x 4' boards attched to the wall behind the cloth wall panels. I dread tearing down the homemade rack I am currently using, but it will be a nice upgrade for less than 1/2 the price new for the rack (and it is new).