Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

This weekend we made about 20 or so more panels for the wall (still need to staple the GOM to them), and put 5 panels on the ceiling at first reflection points for MLP and 2nd row MLP. I really like the look of the 2' x 4' panels on the ceiling and I think I will do the rest of the ceiling with more 2' x 4' panels... Except I will make them cosmetic only so as to not over damp the room. I also got about 75% of the rear wall covered with fabric panels. I didn't have enough panels for the ceiling so we removed 4 of the first reflection panels from the side walls... I went this route since i had a helper, and I didn't know when I would have help for the ceiling panels again. One thing i noticed was that I appear to need side panels more than the ceiling as the sound is a bit brighter now than it was before.Here are some pics of the ceiling panels and rear wall (brightness and contrast were adjusted so you can see the images).

92bad0dc-6dd3-4a02-b26e-7b7ae2b05b7c_zps

20141208_104029_zps705b7b98.jpg

9de44835-11c9-4a71-8279-096cf540cf6c_zps

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Today we got the first reflection panels made and installed along with most of the new fake wall that hides the equipment rack and Blu-Ray storage rack. I ran Audyssey again, and then sat down to do some serious listening. I am still hearing more details that I had not heard previously! :)

Interestingly last night my wife and I watched Pitch Perfect (for the hundredth time...) in our living room with our Monoprice in-wall speakers and Yamaha AVR (which I had just calibrated)... We watched the movie and it was good as usual. After the movie was over I went into the Home Theater and watched it again, and it was like it was a different movie! I know that my HT should sound better but the differences were dramatic. In our untreated living room the acoustics in the movie sounded like we were in a Ballroom, where as in the HT they sounded just like you would imagine them being in real life.  Tonight my wife had a party and several friends wanted demoes of the HT... Everyone commented about how great the picture was and how they loved the way it sounded. I even noticed more little details that i hadn't heard previously. One comment was that every time they come over the system sounds dramatically different then it did the last time (listening to the same music). BryanP (over at GIK) was spot on when he told me what to do to get the room tuned and I highly recommend that anyone that needs assistance contact him! We still have to make the rear corner traps, and finish the cosmetic wall panels... I am going to be very surprised if the rear bass traps make it sound even better (but I will be very happy if they can sound even better) than they do now. What is very interesting is that every time we get more panels completed and re-tuned we have no idea what to expect as the improvements are all over the place. For example... Adding the rear wall, and front wall bass traps tightened up the bass but also made the mid-range more prominent than it was before, but at the same time the articulation is unreal! I am so pleased with the outcome of my budget HT room, and DIY bi-amp setup.

I also have to say that 150" 16x9 and 180+" 2.40 is not too dim nor does it cause any eyestrain even from the first row of seating which is about 12' from the screen. In fact everyone who has watched a movie has preferred the front row unless they want the extreme bass of the second row (on top of the rear sub! I attest some of this is due to the fact that my Panasonic AE8000 is a little dimmer that it would be at 130" and thus is easier on the eyes, hence no eyestrain.

One little thing I did for the audio that appears to have dramatically help is... I calibrated my MLP as 1/2 the distance from the listeners ears in the front row, and the second row (height wise). What this did was make the front row, and the second row center seats have almost identical sound! Originally the front row was very spacious but lacking bass, and the 2nd row had tremendous bass but not as spacious of a sound as the front row. When we tried the new mike setup it dialed them both in (both have good bass, (but the rear is still a little better), but both are just as spacious. One other thing that makes this work for me is the mike is now at almost the exact same height as the center of my horns.

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Today's update...

We have the entrance to the pond almost done. The next part is to get the Ipe railing completed. Once that is done the HT will get it's finishing touches, and then we will finish off the pond area with Ipe decking for the remaining flooring, and bridge.

20150128_150721_zps17ac83d6.jpg

20150128_150710_zps7f11ae82.jpg

• Moderators

Haven't checked here in a while, looks great, I love the colors and that huge screen, wow.  

It's going to be an unbelievable theater and other area's when done, does your wife think you went off the deep end..........that's a lot of work. Very Nice. :emotion-21:  

• Like 1

Haven't checked here in a while, looks great, I love the colors and that huge screen, wow.  

It's going to be an unbelievable theater and other area's when done, does your wife think you went off the deep end..........that's a lot of work. Very Nice. :emotion-21:  

Yeah, she doesn't come in here too much since i setup a system in the family room for her (3 in wall, and 2 in ceiling with a Yamaha AVR, and 47" FP), which was the old HT room. The nice thing is when she wants to have a girls movie night they will be in the family room, and I can watch whatever I like in the HT, where as in the past I was up in the MB watching the 47" FP (now delegated to the family room). Since it has been all my money she doesn't say much.