Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

• 4 weeks later...
A friend in another forum suggested i try out the Roger Waters CD (Amused to death) which was recorded in Q Sound. I just got it ripped to the HDD, and sat down in the 2nd row to listen to it...........................................................................

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I could hear a bobcat to my right with dogs barking in my driveway (about 20' in front of me), people talking about 2' in front and to my left about 8' away. I have never heard anything like this coming from 2 channels. I had to stop listening after the first song to gather my thoughts! 

I highly suggest anyone who likes Pink Floyd music to give this a listen. :T :T

• 2 weeks later...
My Asthma is bothering me again and my wife thinks it is from all the new construction smells in the HT... So I decided to look into getting something to remove the odors on a daily basis.

I just ordered these...

1. This hopefully will take care of any odors in the HT. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JU04VY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. This hopefully will push the aire fast enough through the carbon scrubber. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RKNCMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am planning on installing them on the 8" HVAC return line. The return line is i believe either 25' or 50' of flex hose zig zagged across the ceiling and exiting the HT to our hall closet. I think that I can install the fan in there , and then install the Carbon scrubber on the other end of the fan. If it is too noisey I think that these should work on each side of the fan. http://www.phreshfilter.com/products/phresh-duct-silencers.aspx

My Asthma is bothering me again and my wife thinks it is from all the new construction smells in the HT... So I decided to look into getting something to remove the odors on a daily basis.

I just ordered these...
1. This hopefully will take care of any odors in the HT. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JU04VY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. This hopefully will push the aire fast enough through the carbon scrubber. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RKNCMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am planning on installing them on the 8" HVAC return line. The return line is i believe either 25' or 50' of flex hose zig zagged across the ceiling and exiting the HT to our hall closet. I think that I can install the fan in there , and then install the Carbon scrubber on the other end of the fan. If it is too noisey I think that these should work on each side of the fan. http://www.phreshfilter.com/products/phresh-duct-silencers.aspx

Wow hopefully that works out for you, all that work just to have asthma really bites. 

• Like 1

Good luck with getting the asthma under control.  You did to much work not to be able to enjoy your HT.

I first was diagnosed with Asthma back in 2000 when we kad been living in our first Brand New home for about 3 years, and I had it pretty much until about 3 years ago when we sold our second BN home. My current wife has been telling me ever since we met that it was caused by having a new home, and sure enough my Asthma fires back up after the new construction. Chemicals. :(

I am pretty sure that if i put a carbon scrubber on the return line and run the fan for a few minutes every hour or two it should take care of the odor. The carbon scrubber and fan I am getting is one that is recommended by Pot growers to evacuate the odor from grow rooms. I don't think the chemical smell i have is anywhere near as bad as a pot grow room would be.

Update: I got the carbon scrubber filter installed today.. Bad news is I was told it would not work very well the way I wanted to do it. I was told it is harder to pull the air 50' than to push it 50' so what I did was mount the fan and filter behind the screen. When it is running full on it is a bit noisy with nothing on, but when I watch something at -20 or higher it is not noticed for the most part. I plugged it into an Insteon out door outlet,` which allows me to turn it on and of remotely.  The plan is to turn it on at night after we go to sleep and then have it turn of after 4 hours. Tonight we turned it of while we were at a party and the room was pretty refreshed when we got home... I am thinking after a week of doing this the chemical smells should be pretty much gone.

I went to our hall closet to see what the noise was like, and if you didn't know there was a fan exhausting air into it you would never know... Until you go to close the door! When  you close the door you can feel the air pressure fighting you. If I could have done it the way I wanted I think it would have ben dead quiet while running. The fan is a 750cfm unit which is no slouch when pushing the air. It was suggested that I try a Panasonic but it would not have had enough umph to get the job done.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One of my Recliners failed so it is being returned to Costco. I decided this time to go with a manual recliner that can be attached to the other recliners, and to get them with cupholders. I ordered 4 Coaster Palladium recliners in black, and they should be here Friday or Saturday. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New additions coming soon to the HT. I have a Krell Showcase 7.1 Pre/Processor coming, Crown D75 amp (still need one more), and next item will be the MiniDSP DDRC 88-A. I am hoping this takes me to the next level. I am also contemplating selling my MiniDSPs, and getting the balanced versions since all of my equipment will now be balanced. I will be using a Autopatch Precis HD Component switcher for my Audio (and possibly video). I will be getting 2 HDMI breakout boxes to 5.1 or 7.1 for 2 of my sources. I will then use the Component cables (if I still have them) for the Xbox360, and PS3. This should last me until I decide to go with Atmos, DTS-X. I am also contemplating moving the Tchip amps to the surrounds or maybe just pick up some more low power pro amps.

• Like 1

Scratch that... Just ordered the Oppo 105D. No need for the Autopatch or HDMI wiring mess. I also might flip the krell if it turns out I like the sound as much or better than the Krell since the Oppo will be doing my HDMI switching. The Oppo should be in by Wednesday. I might just pull the Denon out at that point and see how the setup sounds with no room tune until the Krell, and MiniDSP DDRC-88A arrive.

Cup holders will be nice.  You will have to tell about the difference in sound and power use going all balanced.

It's going to be hard to measure the difference as the room tune, preamp, minidsps, and new Pro amp for the horns will all be new to the system. The main thing I am hoping is to not get any ground loops.

I have a friend that is going to make me a custom piece that will adapt my tablet hoder to the seat (possible to the cupholder).

Cup holders will be nice.  You will have to tell about the difference in sound and power use going all balanced.

It's going to be hard to measure the difference as the room tune, preamp, minidsps, and new Pro amp for the horns will all be new to the system. The main thing I am hoping is to not get any ground loops.

I have a friend that is going to make me a custom piece that will adapt my tablet hoder to the seat (possible to the cupholder).

So I take it you are still happy with the Quarter Pie/JBL/EV setup I recommended for the fronts?

• Like 1

So I take it you are still happy with the Quarter Pie/JBL/EV setup I recommended for the fronts?

Yes. :)

I hooked up the Oppo, and my initial observations are strange... I put in my Dire Straits Brothers in Arms disc and it is considerably brighter (more extension too it appears) than it was through my media center (Kodi), even the bass sounds different. I popped in a movie, and the picture looks AWESOME! I will play around with it some more and see what I think...mind you this was through the HDMI. I can't wait to see how it sounds going through the 7.1 analog outputs. I also am very curious how it will sound with the balanced outputs with the Krell. 

Last night a friend of mine, and I listened to the new setup, and he verified my observations, and we made a few new observations.

Audio:

Top end is more extended, and more info present then before. Lows are even tighter than before...maybe just as touch less powerful. Dynamics are much better.

Video:

The colors pop more now, Black levels look better, and the picture appeared to be sharper too.

The demo was done through HDMI which means we are not using the DACs from the 105D. We also are not using the built in Darbee yet as I still have my old one. Looks like I will be selling the Darbee, and going to the built in one.

I decided that in my setup it will not be beneficial to keep the 105D... I called them and they are sending me a 103, and I will keep the Darbee. The new unit should be in Friday, and the Krell on Tuesday. I can't wait to see if the 103 sounds the same as the 105D did through HDMI, and to finally hear how it sounds with DACs other than the Denon.

I now have the Oppo 103 hooked up to my Krell Showcase 7.1 via the 7.1 analog on the Krell, and the Oppo. We did some listening last night, and it sounds almost as good in all aspects as it did with the Denon 4520, and Audyssey. The soundstage is wider, deeper, and the mids have a silky sound to them, plus there is more info on the top end. I am now waiting for the MiniDSP DDRC 88-a to arrive so i can see how it all sounds with an electronically tuned room. I am thinking that i might be able to lower the 12db shelf on the MiniDSP since we have more HF out of the Krell.