Would the Onkyo TX-NR818 be an upgrade to my HK AVR3600?

Youthman

• Moderators

First of all, I don't feel my HK is lacking in any particular area. It sounds great for HT and great for 2ch. I originally went with the HK because I wanted a receiver that handled 2ch very well but this was before I had a dedicated 2ch setup in the living room. I've heard great things regarding Audessey XT32 and wondered if the Onkyo TX-NR818 would be a significant upgrade from my HK AVR3600 for HT.

That's a hard question in a way. The biggest advantage of Audyssey is the subwoofer calibration. If you have no other sub EQ, then yes, it could be very useful. I find not a lot of PEQ needs to be done under 63 Hz with MCACC. Cut one or two peak and a slight bass boot is all. I don't go crazy over graphs looking for a completel flat FR. I also think to much PEQ can mess up the sound. I am sure others will chime in with some good advice. I have limited my PEQ on the subs to only use 2 filters.

Edited by derrickdj1

• Moderators

Appreciate the input. My previous Yamaha had a PEQ and GEQ. Not super familiar with either. I pretty much ran the calibration, made a few minor tweaks maybe with xover settings and left it at that. That's the main reason why I sold the Emotiva UMC-1. It's EmoQ calibration software was pretty useless. I'm not much of a tweaker. I'll let the software do it's thing and go with it as long as it sounds good. I do not have a separate EQ, only using what is in the receiver.

I went from a HK-3700 to a TX-NR-818. I really liked both receivers for different reasons. I think the Onkyo had more oomph buy the HK was a little more detailed. I really liked the Onkyo because of the XT32 calibration over the HK room correction. Both are great but I felt the new HK was lacking when compared to the numerous HK's I have owned in the past.

With that said, the Onkyo was recently sold and I am currently looking at the Pioneer 1523-K with the D3 amps or the Emotiva Fusion 8100. I am leaning towards the Pioneer because I miss the hell out of my SC-25 and I have also heard the new Fusion has HDMI handshake issues.

I know this isn't apples to apples but I hope this info helps a little.

Onkyo has also had terrible HDMI issues, mine didn't, but the problem is well documented. That is the main reason I sold the 818.

• Moderators
Onkyo has also had terrible HDMI issues

I know some Onkyo have had HDMI issues, wasn't sure if the 818 was one of them.

I'm not concerned with the internal amps of the receiver since I'll be using the preouts to my Sherbourn 200 x 7.

The 818 had the issues but not nearly as bad as some of the other models. I bought my 818 form AFL because it was refurbished and factory tested, made me feel better about the issue. Heat is the main killer of the HDMI boards but since you are not using the amps, you should be fine.

• Moderators
One thing that might sway you away from the 818 is that it does not support sub eq ht. It has 2 sub outs but they aren't controlled separately

I spoke with willland on the phone this afternoon and he mentioned the same thing. Currently I only have one sub. Not sure what the future holds for me in the sub department. My guess is I'll eventually either move to a single or dual horn sub (like the F20) or maybe pick up a 2nd RSW-15. But either way, that will likely be a ways down the road.

• Moderators

Thx Tasdom. I just read through much of those comments. Looks like currently only >$1000 receivers have the SubEQ feature so it might be a few years before I consider upgrading to one that has those options.

If the avr can set distance and spl for the subs, they don't need separate EQ. You are not playing them individually. The subs in a room should be looked at as a single unit. That is the way I EQ the subs in my room as one, since they all need to play together. So far, so good, he he. :P

Edited by derrickdj1

Thx Tasdom. I just read through much of those comments. Looks like currently only >$1000 receivers have the SubEQ feature so it might be a few years before I consider upgrading to one that has those options.

Ever thought about buying a Denon? The X4000 is under a grand with XT32. It's gotten some great reviews as well. I've owned Yamaha and Pioneer in the past and still like Denon a bit better especially matched with Klipsch.

I have the Onk TX-NR717, the smaller brother to the 818.

I don't know your HK, but it looks like it doesn't do internet radio, the 818 does. The HK doesn't have pre-outs, the Onk does to all channels. The Onk also does bi-amping, but if you bi-amp you can only go to a5.2 setup. The Onk has more power, 135 wpc vs the 80 of the HK.

I think the 818 was $800 street when it sold new a couple of years ago. I have seen them on the used market for around $500 now, and some vendors are listing them at $650, but I don't know where they are getting their stock since the newer 828 has been out for over a year now.

That being said, I would consider the two units roughly equivalent, similar price range, both are discontinued models. The one significant difference is the Audyssey MultiEQ XT32, which seems to be the most desired feature of the 818. The HDMI problems the Onks had were in the 616 and under models, I have not heard of this so much in the 717 and up models.

My 717 has been completely reliable in the 1.5 years I have had it, used everyday for HDTV in a 5.1 living room setup. It gets occasional heavy duty (loud) use, but has never given me a moment's problem.

Edited by wvu80