My Amp Had An Indoor Fireworks Display.

russ69

I was playing "Tubular Bells" to suppliment the fireworks and as I walked by I got a fireworks show of my own. Man what pretty colors, some wild purple colors. This is the first time I smoked a tube amp. I killed the power right away so I hope I still have a working amp but I wont know until the new power tubes show up.

Not enough rig for the gig, or random failure?

Most likely not enough poop so it popped. I was not driving hard and I turned it down once or twice to make sure I wasn't working it too hard. It's a little Jolida integrated I have out in the garage. I learned on the web that the bias should be set at 20ma not the 30ma the manual calls for. So it was driving itself harder than it needed to. I don't think I lost any channels, it was just using itself up. By dumb luck I was standing right next to it when she flamed out. Fresh tubes should be here within a couple of days and I have some confidence it was just the tubes. No smoke or bad smells.

Edited by russ69

Good news, glad you were right there when it happened, could have been bad.

I think the fuse saved it. If I had saved it, the fuse would still be good. I thought I got there first, so it's a close call as to who shut the power off first.

Edited by russ69

Well you know those cheap Chinese POS can't handle even the least amount of abuse ;)

Oh and by the way quit believe all the hogwash you read on the internet. Not a single EL84 on earth cannot take 30mA of idle plate current. 20 mA is way too low. At least 25mA would be more like a reasonable bias point. So if the tubes can take the current but the amps goes into a spark show delivering it the amp is a true POS...

No offense intended but these are facts.

Edited by NOSValves

Well you know those cheap Chinese POS can't handle even the least amount of abuse ;)

Oh and by the way quit believe all the hogwash you read on the internet. Not a single EL84 on earth cannot take 30mA of idle plate current. 20 mA is way too low. At least 25mA would be more like a reasonable bias point. So if the tubes can take the current but the amps goes into a spark show delivering it the amp is a true POS...No offense intended but these are facts.

I just checked with Jolida, they say 20ma. It sounds fine at that setting, maybe a little more bloom in the bass but that might be from the different tubes? I'll play around some more and see where it takes me. This is my most used unit and the tubes were near 10 years old so I'm not sure you can blame the POS amp. Yeah, it is what it is but it's given me a decade of solid service. I think we were just looking at tube failure. You didn't expect me to put the McIntosh, Quicksilvers, Audio Research, or the Carys in the garage did you?

Oh and by the way quit believe all the hogwash you read on the internet. Not a single EL84 on earth cannot take 30mA of idle plate current. 20 mA is way too low. At least 25mA would be more like a reasonable bias point. So if the tubes can take the current but the amps goes into a spark show delivering it the amp is a true POS...No offense intended but these are facts.

I just checked with Jolida, they say 20ma. It sounds fine at that setting, maybe a little more bloom in the bass but that might be from the different tubes? I'll play around some more and see where it takes me. This is my most used unit and the tubes were near 10 years old so I'm not sure you can blame the POS amp. Yeah, it is what it is but it's given me a decade of solid service. I think we were just looking at tube failure. You didn't expect me to put the McIntosh, Quicksilvers, Audio Research, or the Carys in the garage did you?

Why would you put any of that over prided/hyped craps in your garage when the real deal is right in front of your face ;) by the way my very best system in in my garage/shop...most folks that hear it become life long customers/believers...

Why would you put any of that over prided/hyped craps in your garage when the real deal is right in front of your face ;) by the way my very best system in in my garage/shop...most folks that hear it become life long customers/believers...

I put the "over prided/hyped craps" in the various systems inside the house and I use the "cheap Chinese POS" in the garage. Works for me, YMMV. Man, a fellow needs some thick skin around here, lucky for me I have it. I just run the stuff, I didn't design it.... :)

Edited by russ69
  • Like 2

...If in fact, the unit was designed for 20ma bias, then going to 30ma is a 50% increase in power demand from the power transformer. Not likely to work well. It is mysterious why they manual would call for 30ma and the recommendation from other places is 20ma. Has there been a history of trouble at the recommended setting?

The factory changed the setting. I can only assume they had too many warantee issues and made the change. Mine worked fine for 10 years at the higher setting but I'll have to admit that I dont drive my stuff very hard so I'm not the ultimate tester.

I put the "over prided/hyped craps" in the various systems inside the house and I use the "cheap Chinese POS" in the garage. Works for me, YMMV. Man, a fellow needs some think skin around here, lucky for me I have it. I just run the stuff, I didn't design it.... :)

yep I've got some of those "over prided/hyped craps" too. Some Quicksilver Horn Monos. I also have a BBX Extreme with Cream and the delectable new Maxim Mods that I have dubbed the NBS Killer :emotion-14: