KP-201's

I'm getting Jeff Tubbs' KP-201's in a trade deal and I'm wondering if they should be catch-and-release or if I should try and make them the new speakers for my 2-channel rig (too big to use as HT surrounds in my space). I know they are basically Heresy II's with a change in the crossover, but beyond that there isn't a ton of info on the 'ol internet.

Are they too bass shy to be useful without a sub? Should I spend some time talking with Dean-o about crossover mods? My current 2-channel amp is pretty neutral and revealing, and they would likely be used near field.

lol Carl. And I know I asked you this very question via PM the other day. I guess maybe what I'm after is tips and tricks to make Heresy II's (and therefore KP201's) sound their best. So far all I've found is "use low power tubes!" and "use 300W of CLEAN power!" ...and then a TON of information slamming early models while extolling the virtues of H3's.

and believe it or not, when it comes to social interaction and acceptance i do have a very fragile ego and low self esteem - which i heavily compensate for by being a smartass jokester. so, i care more about what you guys think than you may realize. ;)

• Like 2

Are they too bass shy to be useful without a sub?

Being that they are basically Heresy II's, I think they would wonderfully anchor a nice 2-channel rig. Maybe I am a bit biased, but in each prospective rooms, Heresys in a 13 x 13, Heresy II's in a 13 x 20, they are by no means "bass shy". You could call it deep bass shy yes, but definitely not short on fast, punchy, thumpy bass. Would a subwoofer enhance things down low, of course, but IMO not necessary.

Should I spend some time talking with Dean-o about crossover mods?

Can't hurt except for a small dent in your wallet, but I think it may be worth it.

My current 2-channel amp is pretty neutral and revealing, and they would likely be used near field.

With both of these setups I am using neutral and revealing sources and amplification and both form a near field 7' x 7' x 7' equilateral triangle.

Bill

Edited by willland

I have my Heresys in the 13 x 13 room on 23" stands and my Heresy II's like the below photo. Since photo I removed the risers. Let me make a correction, the Heresy II rig is part of a 4' x 4' x 4' triangle and general master bedroom background listening.

post-24680-0-47180000-1404850365_thumb.j

Edited by willland

What Bill said...

HIIs are way more balanced than the originals, without doing some crossover changes. Very satisfying speakers, and ones I could live with very easily (I do actually, and the only Klipsch I currently have in use). I wouldn't port them unless I made the cabinets the size of the Tangent 400s.

Bruce

I've had the KP201s. They don't need a sub set up correctly in a small to mid size room. Especially with SS amplification. Mine responded best to a 200 watt Carver M1.0t with the Carver C1 preamp. That preamp, has a good range of treble and bass control and really allowed me dial them in to my liking. They will respond well to many other amps too, that was just my favorite combo.

Should be no need to do crossovers. I think there wouldn't be much benefit unless there is a problem.

Edited by emmvette

Should be no need to do crossovers. I think there wouldn't be much benefit unless there is a problem.
I should clarify... No need to do the HII crossovers, only make changes on the original Heresy to make more balanced. ;)

Bruce

Got them home tonight and I'm frustrated. I thought these might just be a catch and release pair, but after some quick listening they sound like they'd be fun for near field.

Told you. :P

Let the music flow and enjoy(for now).

Bill

I'm just dumb. I reached out to the company and they pointed out that it's listed on the "ported subwoofer" page.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-subwoofers-1.html

Well, I wouldn't consider a tapped horn as a ported sub but what do I know. Looks like you can get the drivers and the flat packs at the same place now. I think I had to get mine from 2 different places when I bought them.