Pondering a new purchase. Help me spend money!

Scrappydue

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the high gain structure

Bingo. Perhaps try line level attenuators with your present amps. They have adequate power, but by design have a brick on the accelerator pedal.

already spent 60$ on those. They helped get my gain into tolerable levels. However they didn't help hiss at all.

Yeah that's my plan is to go with a refurb and extended warranty. Just not sure wether I should

Go the 4000 with an amp or try the higher 4520 and skip an amp for a while.

I would try your 805 with no amp and see how you like it. If your happy then you could upgarde to a better avr. If you feel you lost somthing then look for a pre/pro and amp with less gain.

But I think you might have somthing else going on here. Like my emo amp did the same thing when I got it. It had really loud hiss (and some bad static). After fixing it the best I could. The hiss level was much lower (and the static was pretty much gone). The emo still had more hiss than my b&k but not way more. Certainly not somthing you could hear from the LP. Im sure that bigger amp has more gain than my xpa5 but I would guess the two are close?

Do you have any other amps you could drop in to see if the hiss goes away?

Edited by reference_head

Yeah that's my plan is to go with a refurb and extended warranty. Just not sure wether I should

I would try your 805 with no amp and see how you like it. If your happy then you could upgarde to a better avr. If you feel you lost somthing then look for a pre/pro and amp with less gain.

I think you might have somthing else going on here. Like my emo amp did the same thing when I got it. It had really loud hiss (and some bad static). After fixing it the best I could. The hiss level was much lower (and the static was pretty much gone). The emo still had more hiss than my b&k but not way more. Certainly not somthing you could hear from the LP. Im sure that bigger amp has more gain than my xpa5 but I would guess the two are close?

Do you have any other amps you could drop in to see if the hiss goes away?

ive tried the 805 and felt it was fine until demo time. Felt like it doesn't do reference as easily.

The emo and sherbourn have the same gain. Maybe I should try to eliminate some other things before I blame the hiss on the amp?

I would at least try another amp in the same spot to see. Maybe a friend has one you can use for a day.

i could try an inuke. I guess if that works I could just go all pro amps. Could get an inuke 3000 for each lcr

Not a bad idea. Use the pro amps gain controls to bury that hiss. With your cinema rig, you don't need a ton of gain from your amps, and far less than that of the high fixed gain of virtually all consumer amps.

+1

Just dont tell me how much better it is for at least 6mo :rolleyes:

I would just compare the features of the 2 and see which one fits your needs the best. :)

Ok well I had forgot if any hiss was there with just the avr. NOPE! Dead quiet on just the 805.

Hmmm what to do what to do.

Maybe the 4520 or the marantz 7008 is the way to go for a while. Then if I feel I need an amp later add something.

• Like 2

Ok well I had forgot if any hiss was there with just the avr. NOPE! Dead quiet on just the 805.

Maybe the 4520 or the marantz 7008 is the way to go for a while. Then if I feel I need an amp later add something.

I wish i would have went with the Marantz 8801 instead of the 4520... My reason is i would have like to have had all balanced XLRs, plus i only need 25-30 watts per channel for my 9.2 setup (subs obviously need more).

Scrappy, I've got a spare Panasonic XR you could try out. It doesn't have XT32 or anything like that, but simply for the cost of shipping, you could test drive it on your system and at your leisure. I used to have it borrowed out to Artto before he made the big switch.

It's one of the better sounding "chippers". Easily smokes the T-amps IMO.

PM if interested.

I got a buddy that's wants me to borrow his onkyo 5508 and try it out for the xlr and keep my sherbourn. Also will try xt32 with it as well. Good opportunity to make sure I don't make a mistake here as I don't have near the play money as when I was in the military.

• Like 1

I got a buddy that's wants me to borrow his onkyo 5508 and try it out for the xlr and keep my sherbourn. Also will try xt32 with it as well. Good opportunity to make sure I don't make a mistake here as I don't have near the play money as when I was in the military.

I really like my 5508. Looking forward to your thoughts with the pro gear.

Try the 805 with the volume turned all the way up and see if you hear any hiss. Or at least to reference with no content.

I wish all power amps had a gain control. Would be a nice feature that I know I would use.

Scrappy I will be down that way on August 9th, My dad and I are going to a Royals game and Lego land, ok my son is coming with as why we are going to lego land. But anyways, I can bring my Crown D45 and McIntosh MC2100(if the 2100 is up and running). If you wan't to meet up with me I will let you borrow them for the night to try out. We will be staying the night down there so you would have the whole evening. Then just meet back up with me Sunday morning before I head out. It wouldn't be a whole lot of time but would give you a chance at a couple of different amps. Let me know.