New boxes coming soon

MichaelandKlipsch

Well after talking to one of my good Forum friends I have decided to let go of my 4 THX ultra 2 subwoofers and move into the below 20hz family. I have thoroughly enjoyed my subwoofers for the past 2 years but I have listed them for sale in the Garage sale thread. I have decided to go with (2) JTR Captivator S2’s. These will now go directly in place of where the (4) KW-120s are and will bring (4) 18” Drivers to the home cinema. I have been toying with the idea the past few months and finally decided to make the move. I plan to order both units within the next 2-3 weeks. The JTR subs have balanced XLR cable inputs so I’m thinking of going with some 20’ runs out of my Anthem D2v and probably going to purchase them from Monoprice. I compared these with several other subs in the same range and keep coming back to these. The Seaton subversives were a close second but I feel that even the aesthetics on these closely match what the THX ultra 2 speakers look like. They will eventually end up behind an AT screen in the next house but for now they should look similar to the KW-120s and still fit under my fixed screen with 1” clearance.

• Like 2

O good lord haha I forgot about that I was def joking about the Bose cubes. :). I have been toying with the idea of keeping the THX ultra subs and stack them 2 in each corner of the garage with some Heresy's and a NAD integrated amp for te garage would b cool for block parties I crank up the music in the neighborhood :). Either way I'm ordering 2 captivator s2 units for the theater in the next 2 weeks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well with the Dual JTR captivators being shipped out Monday morning I took the time to break down my audio rack and remove the middle shevles since I don’t have separate sub amplifiers (the 4000 watt plate amps are in the Cap S2’s). I received all 9 XLR cables last night and replaced my RCAs with the new XLR interconnects. Then got it all hooked up and ran my two XLR outs from my processor and through the walls behind my theater for the new subwoofers. Got it all cleaned up and now wait their arrival. The electrician is scheduled to come in two weeks to connect power con rececpticales and the 2 new 20amp circuits for the subs in 2 weeks. Now if only there was someone to help me haul these 400lb speakers up to the theater…

post-52289-0-31860000-1408626434_thumb.j

post-52289-0-04580000-1408626546_thumb.j

post-52289-0-58180000-1408626952_thumb.j

• Like 1

The electrician is scheduled to come in two weeks to connect power con rececpticales and the 2 new 20amp circuits for the subs in 2 weeks. Now if only there was someone to help me haul these 400lb speakers up to the theater…

What a pain to have to wait on the electrician.  I know you are eager to get those bad boys hooked up and pumping air.  As for hauling the 400 lb subs upstairs, dolly comes to mind.  I made some sub risers on wheels to help move the subs around.  The Cap S2 has great ULF and should put a grin on your face.

Thanks derrick I’m looking forward to it. They should be incredible from everything I have read and definitely have single digit in room response. Im not to worried about the electrician cause I want to have it done right and I’m pretty patient fella. I think I’ll grab my neighbor to help me haul them up there (3 flights of stairs ughhh) as they are 200lb each unit we should be able to do it. I’ll take photos of their arrival and then un-packaging and pics of them before and after in place under the screen. they are actually a little less deep than the KW-120s which is nice but much longer at 40” long. Installing some nice brushed wire plates for the new XLR and powercon cables to come through the wall with. I ordered the plates this week for the wall.

I am actually concerned about it moving. I thought about ways to secure it. The new Lens will be a fixed lens instead of the motorized sled version. If I go with the mount that attaches to the top of the projector I could just mount the projector to the top of the recessed box in my wall. I’m not sure which rout I’m going but I don’t think it will stay stationary in its resting spot

I thought it was against forum policy to tease the bass heads (like me!) to talk about subwoofers without showing pics of said subwoofers :o

The JTRs haven’t arrived yet Carl but when they do I will definitely photograph them un-packaging, and with them in place both with the grills on and off in place under the screen I promise!