Custom Installers and Klipsch

Kevinicus

I think I also found my carpet yesterday.  A little more than I wanted to spend, but I think it looks and feels great.  

2014-09-25085619_zps0ce8e664.png

The color didn't come out right in my camera, but it doesn't have a red tint to it.  It's gray.

Edited by Kevinicus

Big decision to make...optimize the sound design for one row or both rows. It's $500 cheaper for one row, and less treatments would be needed to implement which would reduce the theater costs further. I am probably the only one in the house that would notice the difference, and most of the time the back row won't be used...

Thoughts?

My thoughts, use the $500 towards something else since the back row isn't used often.  If you are like me, when guests come over, I let them have the seats up front anyways.

That makes me want to optimize the 2nd row even more!  If I get stuck in the back row, I want it to be great. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I can't say anything about the architectural line but I have a setup featuring the KL-650's and it sounds great for movies, specifically dialogue. They run all over typical setups such as something with a soft dome tweeter.  Other more pro audio setups such as JTR can probably handle dynamics better but quite honestly these handle dynamics as much as I care to handle, I don't exactly want the peaks any louder and that's all you're going to gain, these are already really loud on the peaks.  Even if you did get louder you're going to lose out in the frequency response department. 

Their only shortcoming is that they lack a good low midbass growl for rock music and whatnot.  You have to rely on the upper extension of the subwoofers.  Which, is fine, especially if you set it up to be flat.  Personally I like full range speakers with the subs only kicking in on explosions to an obnoxious level, but that's just me.  THX isn't the best for that.  That are super flat though, very accurate, speech is amazing.  I just don't like bass guitars and male speech coming through the subs, and that is pretty much a given when you go with the THX line.  If you do that out of necessity but then crank up the bass higher than it ought to be it can sound boomy and muddy. 

Big decision to make...optimize the sound design for one row or both rows. It's $500 cheaper for one row, and less treatments would be needed to implement which would reduce the theater costs further. I am probably the only one in the house that would notice the difference, and most of the time the back row won't be used...

Thoughts?

Are you using Audyssey XT or higher?  These systems (IMO) provide a good compromise that will fine tune the sound for about 5 or 6 seats, improving the average quality for those seats, while lowering the quality  -- a bit -- for the one main listening chair.  You can optimize for the one main listening position, if you want to, by locating all 8 or more microphone positions at or near ear level in the location of that one chair.  One or the other.  We ended up designating 3 chairs as our quality target (all 8 mic positions placed for those chairs), and we put the audiophiles there.  I'd advise forgetting tuning for the back row.  Since the screen size tends to be relatively small on the retina in home theater (our screen is 130" true width ... not diagonal), and row changes make a big difference, the visual impression, impact, and perhaps even suspension of disbelief and empathy, is going to be different for your two rows anyway.

Are you using Audyssey XT or higher?  These systems (IMO) provide a good compromise that will fine tune the sound for about 5 or 6 seats, improving the average quality for those seats, while lowering the quality  -- a bit -- for the one main listening chair.  You can optimize for the one main listening position, if you want to, by locating all 8 or more microphone positions at or near ear level in the location of that one chair.  One or the other.  We ended up designating 3 chairs as our quality target (all 8 mic positions placed for those chairs), and we put the audiophiles there.  I'd advise forgetting tuning for the back row.  Since the screen size tends to be relatively small on the retina in home theater (our screen is 130" true width ... not diagonal), and row changes make a big difference, the visual impression, impact, and perhaps even suspension of disbelief and empathy, is going to be different for your two rows anyway.

I have Audyssey, but I am not sure which one.  My receiver is a 2010 Onkyo.  The optimization I was talking about was for the actual acoustic treatments in the room, not the equalization, etc.  I went ahead and did it for both rows, so I hope the money is well spent.  The design is being worked on now.  

• Like 1

I have Audyssey, but I am not sure which one.  My receiver is a 2010 Onkyo.  The optimization I was talking about was for the actual acoustic treatments in the room, not the equalization, etc.  I went ahead and did it for both rows, so I hope the money is well spent.  The design is being worked on now.  

After you finish fine tuning the acoustical treatments for the room, you should give Audyssey a try to see if it will be the icing on the cake.  XT is (or can be) good, and XT32 even better.  We treated our room with absorbers and diffusers, fine tuned, then applied Audyssey XT.  Audyssey Flat increased the clarity greatly.  Audyssey Reference was better with those movies that were very bright.  I suspect that it was Audyssey Reference's "BBC dip" -- a few dB attenuation at 2K, the zone most prone to harshness, rather than Audyssey Reference's 2 dB through 6 dB roll-off between 10K and 20K that did the trick.  Dull sounding movies (like The Walker) are better with Audyssey Flat, as are most good music disks.

• 2 months later...

Well, I still haven't had a chance to hear my Klipsch (or JTR) speakers in my home theater.  The main construction is nearing completion, but there is still a ways to go yet.  Carpet is quite a ways off (at least a month as the place is being difficult with measurements).  

Most of the electrical is done, stage is done, Riser is mostly done (nosing around the edge is what is holding up carpet measurements), drywall is mostly done.  It's coming along, but still a ways to go.