Oris horns versus Sousa Horns - Capital Audio Fest

kwingylee

Did anyone on the forum attend the CAF in Silver Spring, MD last weekend? I had a chance to listen to a number of large horn systems: including some replica RCA dual 15" bass bins with Altec Horns and 288 drivers and Classic Audio JBL Hartsfield clones. What peaked my interest was the huge 150 Hz Sousa Horns made by Gary Gill in the Batimore area with Tangband drivers. They remind me of what Rudy has/had. A friend of mind in Chicago has a similar set with Lowthers. These are suppose to follow the LeCleac'h (since deceased) profile. I listened at length and tried to compare them against my own TAD based system. Just wondering if anyone on the forum was there and what their impressions were.

Did anyone on the forum attend the CAF in Silver Spring, MD last weekend? I had a chance to listen to a number of large horn systems: including some replica RCA dual 15" bass bins with Altec Horns and 288 drivers and Classic Audio JBL Hartsfield clones. What peaked my interest was the huge 150 Hz Sousa Horns made by Gary Gill in the Batimore area with Tangband drivers.
Where did you hear these? Were you in SS?

I went a few years ago, but didn't have the interest for another go-around. Thebes went the last time, was on the fence about going.

Very good DIY things, especially horns, when I went before, but the commercially-made Mac and MBL were disappointing. Polk was very good there, and rather underrated IMO.

Wow i wish i had. Sounds like a blast! Im getting pretty good at listening to people after they go to audio events such as this. I wish someone would list these events or put me in the know with scheduled parties such as this one. Im down with a few others at this time although would appreciate more opportunities. I will buy them dinner and at least the first 2 rounds of drinks! Seriously!

Anyhow thanks for sharing. Cheers :)

I didnt attend but I have read a couple unbiased reviews... not to complimentary.

But it could have been many things in the system chain.[/quote

Which unbiased review? Where? I spent a lot of time in that room because I was genuinely interested in buying a set of the 200hz horns and mating it with a Fostex driver. It needed work in the beginning but really sang by Saturday afternoon.

Did anyone on the forum attend the CAF in Silver Spring, MD last weekend? I had a chance to listen to a number of large horn systems: including some replica RCA dual 15" bass bins with Altec Horns a nd 288 drivers and Classic Audio JBL Hartsfield clones. What peaked my interest was the huge 150 Hz Sousa Horns made by Gary Gill in the Batimore area with Tangband drivers.

I went a few years ago, but didn't have the interest for another go-around. Thebes went the last time, was on the fence about going.

Very good DIY things, especially horns, when I went before, but the commercially-made Mac and MBL were disappointing. Polk was very good there, and rather underrated IMO.

Here are some pictures of the rca horn with dual 15" Jbl woofers with Altec clone horns and gpa 288 midrange driver for a cool $75k (discount to $45k)

post-34584-0-86920000-1407094594_thumb.j

Edited by kwingylee

Did anyone on the forum attend the CAF in Silver Spring, MD last weekend? I had a chance to listen to a number of large horn systems: including some replica RCA dual 15" bass bins with Altec Horns and 288 drivers and Classic Audio JBL Hartsfield clones. What peaked my interest was the huge 150 Hz Sousa Horns made by Gary Gill in the Batimore area with Tangband drivers.

Here is the western electric horn with Jbl woofer and rca tweeterpost-34584-0-19100000-1407190253_thumb.j Edited by kwingylee

I didnt attend but I have read a couple unbiased reviews... not to complimentary.

But it could have been many things in the system chain.[/quote

Which unbiased review? Where? I spent a lot of time in that room because I was genuinely interested in buying a set of the 200hz horns and mating it with a Fostex driver. It needed work in the beginning but really sang by Saturday afternoon.

I hope Schu gives us a couple of links. The only reference that I'm currently aware of is the "Confessions of a Part time Audiophile" and the "Stereophile" coverage of the Sousa Horns at the CAF show this year and nothing there complaining about them.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/08/02/caf-2014-sousahorn-emia/

http://www.stereophile.com/content/2014-capital-audio-fest-day-three-end

Edited by Fjd

I spent two days listening to Lowther field coils on these large horns. The sound is great. I've heard Lowthers a few times and on these big horns is the best I've heard them.

Thanks Seti, Gary had them toed in at the show on Friday and most of Saturday... and the system had no center image to speak of. Very disappointing. Then one of Gary's amps blow out on Saturday and we wereplaying around with placement. The room was small but we were able to achieve a solid center with good depth with the horns pointing straight ahead. They are balance and somewhat mellow sounding, very different from the TAD sound, very smooth and nice. I dont think I physically have the space as my 450Hz horns are already overwhelming but I plan to give Gary a visit the next time I go to Baltimore.

There are a couple of guys in Chicago using horn loaded full range drivers, Gary's is very compeititive with theirs and I like the LeCleac'h profile.

They are very reasonably price. Not as good a deal as the AUTOTECHs but still very attractive price.

Surprise Rudy is not commenting....

does gary have a web site ??, how about autotech ??

I have used oris horns in several setups, IMHO they are very hard to beat...................Never heard the sousa so cant comment, although I would bet they are about the same in sound quality

I preferred AER drivers by a LARGE margin over fostex and lowthers, lowthers were to edgy / bright, fostex did not seem to have the resolution a bit muddy

I would love to build another horn system some time :D

does gary have a web site ??, how about autotech ??

I have used oris horns in several setups, IMHO they are very hard to beat...................Never heard the sousa so cant comment, although I would bet they are about the same in sound quality

I preferred AER drivers by a LARGE margin over fostex and lowthers, lowthers were to edgy / bright, fostex did not seem to have the resolution a bit muddy

I would love to build another horn system some time :D

Joe, I think he has a website. Did you try googling Sousa horns ?

So what kind of Oris Horns did they have there?

They did not have Oris but Sousa horns . I was soliciting comments from those who heard oris and can give their opinion on the Sousa s

What kind of Horns are you currently using? Are they the Red Ones in your avatar?

Yes the red horns are 450hz lecleac'h horns from autotech in Poland. I bought them through a gentleman at diyaudio. Unfortunately he no longer does group purchases so I don't think you can get them anymore.

Mine has the two inch throat and I use tad 4001s. The autotech horns are much better in quality than anything I have seen in this side of the pond.

Before you buy a set of the Sousa horns, drop me an e-mail. I was going to buy a set of those before I purchased my Oris horns. There is a very good reason I did not buy those.

Let me say this, Gary is a very honest guy from my dealings with him. I had even paid him for a set of the horns. But, after researching the birth of his product, I decided against the purchase. He refunded my money with no problem. I then ended up spending more than twice as much to buy the Oris.

If you need a first hand comparison, contact Dhar on this forum. He has owned both horns and IIRC recently sold the Sousa horns and kept the Oris.

Just found 'dkalsi' sale of the horns. https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149565-any-interest-in-azura-horns-160hz-mddcva-area-only/?hl=dkalsi#entry1720608

Edited by Rudy81