What causes driver warping?

The History Kid

In my search for Klipsch speakers via craigslist and ebay, I've encountered a lot of deals that seem great when the images are small or the grills are fitted on the cabinet, only to be disappointed when they're removed. The biggest thing seems to be that the woofers suffer some major warping. My question is, what could possibly cause this to happen - what are these people doing? I can understand some minor dents, but everything else just doesn't make sense. Ideas?

• Like 1

I figured it'd be best to avoid. I am so picky with appearance I've stayed away anyway, but it's good to know my paranoia isn't misplaced. My understanding most of the time is these people don't know what they're talking about when they say "still sound great" in the description.

Thanks! :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

What CECAA said, plus general abuse.

And your right about them saying "still sound great", they just want to get rid of them, you will find what your looking for it just takes time, they will pop up when you least expect it, good luck.

• Like 1

I can't assume this is an answer but, I have one barely noticeable dimple on one of my RF-3 drivers. The most likely culprit is that while I was cleaning the grills of the speakers my Labrador Retriever (who loves to wag his mammoth tail) smacked into it. My assumption is the small dimples are likely from minor impacts.

Sorta on topic. What causes the little dimples I see in a lot of the copper colored drivers in the RF series?

Fingers, bottle caps, air soft guns, super balls, etc. At least that's my thought. I don't know anything else that would make random marks other than minor damage.

People poking their fingers into the cones. I went to best my local Magnolia/Best Buy an they had a pair of B&W 683 B's in the clearance section for $1K! I had already made my mind up that they would be mine until I removed the grills... Fingers had destroyed all 4 of the woofers. I had to walk, I personally like the looks of tower speakers with the grills off.

I got a good deal on some RF3's but that was dampened by the 2 woofers on one speaker having these creases. Still sounded good to me though. The photos on craig's looked fine but, closeups would have been better.

The fix, unless someone has really gotten fortunate is replacement I suppose. Almost have parted out the good pair with the Tractrix,etc. Short of that, I may part with them local one day. Parting out not my forte'...yet.

Edited by billybob

Alright forum, here's a question and the answer might be that I'm paranoid:

So this guy who is selling this RF-3 system in Chicago sent me pics of the drivers on his center and surrounds. The surrounds are in perfect condition - damn near flawless. The center is warped on one side. Now do I drop the deal ($250) or no? Main reason I'm worried is, he has one speaker warped and the others APPEAR fine, what are the chances of that being the case?

Thanks

Are we talking 5 speakers here including rf3's? If so, and they otherwise checkout. And the other speakers in surrounds are not warped, you are looking at maybe replacing one warped one in the center speaker then. $300 would be a rather decent deal.

If I read you correctly. What do you think?

Edit: Request good pics of the rf3's if in doubt about the speaker cones.

Edited by billybob

Okay, so tell me if I'm being stingy.

The original deal was for the RC3II and the RS3II's for $300 plus $100 for shipping if they were in good condition. When discovered that one of the drivers was damaged on the RC3II, I made the offer of $250 with shipping, which he said shipping would have to be added on ($350 total).

My counter offer is to $290 with shipping, or he meets me half way and I pay $190. Does this seem like a fair alternative or no?