Is a smaller sub better for music?

tom white

I understand this is a very generalized question but...

I have a system which is used for music only (Marantz 4023, Klipsch bookshelves). Room is about 15x17. Listen to primarily 60s and 70s music (Beatles, Stones, Moody Blues, acoustic pop like Simon and Garfunkel, John Denver, etc.).

Anyway, I'm wondering if a smaller sub like a Martin Logan Dynamo 300 would work better in this setting than something like a Polk PSW110? I have the latter from a previous home theater.

Don't listen at high levels. Just enough to fill the room well. I guess you could say I'm not really looking for the "sub" as much as the "woofer".

What are the general thoughts on smaller subs for music?

Tom White,

Welcome to the forum.

Anyway, I'm wondering if a smaller sub like a Martin Logan Dynamo 300 would work better in this setting than something like a Polk PSW110?

I have no personal experience with either of the subs mentioned but to generalize whether a small sub is more musical than a a large sub, it depends on the quality.

I recently picked up a pair of Klipsch RB-75 bookshelf speakers and am using them in a 18W x 25L x 12H room. I also just moved my RSW-10d, which is on the small side, to that system and it is seamlessly blending and performing beautifully filling in the lower octave. It sounds so good that you would think I had moved my RF-63's in there without the sub.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

Looks like your budget is around $150?

Both of those subs are ok but both will also leave you wanting more IMO.

If I was you, I would either take a look at the Dayton 12" sub or start looking at the used market.

I would think you are on the right track. I'm not a sub expert by any means but the idea that a quality small 8" sub should work well with 5 1/2" bookshelves makes sense to me.

A 1000w 18" sub would be way overkill in my humble opinion.

• Like 2

There is no such thing as a 5 1/2" sub,,,If you believe that,,,I have a bridge to sell you that's under water...

Please re-read my posts. The 5 1/2" speakers are in the bookshelves NOT in the sub.

The only time I've seen an under water bridge is when I dropped my dentures in the sink!

As long as it a a quality subwoofer it won't matter. I have the dynamo 300 at my computer system in a small room and it does fine. Bigger room and I would probably want a pair of them. The Polk I've heard numerous times and didn't think much of it at all.

here is the deal hi frequencies are very short in terms of their wave length so high frequency transducers need to be very small to reproduce those small wavelengths and not get into their own way while doing so. Low frequencies are very long with respect to their wavelength. Woofers need to be big to make and launch large low frequency at realistic levels. A tiny in ear monitor can reproduce low frequencies size is not the determining factor there as the system in your ear is closed. In the living room or the concert hall or out of doors you must be able to push a lot of air to get the job done.

lets say the above mentioned 6.5 inch woofer is flat across an octave bandwidth of 25 - 50 Hz. that's fine and dandy but you need to remember that that woofer will be augmenting a smaller speaker from 50Hz up and you then need to be able to level match the two speakers systems so they act as one and the woofers need to keep up with the main speaker. The small woofer will likely do a nice job in a home setting the determining factor will be ho loud the system can play. That's why systems for home theater get large when you want to be able to realistically reproduce low frequency events at true to life levels. You wont be seeing any 6.5 inch woofers at the live concert but they can satisfy a lot of folks at home. You need to listen for yourself to big and small to find out what you would like to hear/be satisfied with. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of the Polk subs that I have owned either.

However, I am a huge fan of Martin Logan subwoofers. My dual ML Abyss subs were one of my favorite overall sub setups. I have heard the newer models, like the 300, have cut some corners as far as quality goes (can't confirm).

I would go with the largest subwoofer you can for your space requirements and budget. I run a 6.5 woofer 5.1 system and they have kept up with a few very well respected subwoofers with no problems. As mentioned, you can never have too much sub as long as it is set up correctly.

You wont be seeing any 6.5 inch woofers at the live concert but they can satisfy a lot of folks at home.

The above referenced sub is flat (+- 3dB) from 25 to 100 Hz. It's perfect for a bedroom system with a pair of bookshelves. My point was that a 6 1/2 driver can actually be used as a subwoofer. The larger the venue, the more air must be moved necessitating larger drivers.

• Like 1

You wont be seeing any 6.5 inch woofers at the live concert but they can satisfy a lot of folks at home.

The above referenced sub is flat (+- 3dB) from 25 to 100 Hz. It's perfect for a bedroom system with a pair of bookshelves. My point was that a 6 1/2 driver can actually be used as a subwoofer. The larger the venue, the more air must be moved necessitating larger drivers.

I was agreeing with you. I only wanted to point out the difference between a small woofer that can reproduce 25 Hz and large one. Many folks look at some numbers and then they figure that the littlest box that reproduces the lowest frequency of interest is the one to buy because the larger ones don't go any deeper.

A lot of folks figure they don't need more bass but most have not heard systems with close to real life like levels in the bottom end and it is so very nice when you do. Much in the same way high efficiency speakers can turn you away from lower efficiency loudspeakers. Best regards Moray James.