wrong type written on label of my Khorns?

Daan

I just bought a old original Klipsch Khorn add on Ebay [ just for fun].

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipschorn-Klipsch-AD-from-1974-Undressed-Nice-Ad-/161395448635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2593eb1b3b

Showing my K-C-FB Khorns, but by the looks of that add and the text, I don't have style "C" Khorns like the label says, but style "D".....?

I only discoveredd it because the original add says that style C came with grilles and cloth and are made of birch veneered plywood.

Mine are fir black, no birch veneer and no grilles as can be seen on the pics....?

post-33317-0-42980000-1408548540_thumb.j

post-33317-0-71340000-1408548548_thumb.j

post-33317-0-95020000-1408548556_thumb.j

post-33317-0-45020000-1408548576_thumb.j

Edited by nico boom
  • Like 1

i think they came from the factory C style. don't see how they would get by so many people with wrong labels.

i also think some previous owner changed out the top section and made them into decorators.

very nice looking and if they were birch raw they'ed be very very nice looking. congrats

Edited by Budman

A short wall built on the side of that left Khorn would really improve the sound. IMO.

I know, pics are just for helping to determine what they are. ;)

Thanks for your replies, each bassbin has it's serial punched in, as well as the corresponding tophat.... they really are a set and have not been altered except for new caps in the crossovers.

Still think it's curious......

i think they came from the factory C style. don't see how they would get by so many people with wrong labels. i also think some previous owner changed out the top section and made them into decorators. very nice looking and if they were birch raw they'ed be very very nice looking. congrats
I don't think someone tore up a nice "C" K-horn to make those utility models.  Those veneers were mounted on plywood -- why sand them off, put a grain-revealing black finish on it, and try to match it all up?

I had one unadorned utility model for several years and it looked exactly like those.  Note that the finish and appearance of the top and bottom sections are exactly identical as seen from the pics.  You couldn't match black finishes on separate sections if you tried forever.

That said, you're absolutely right that something slipped through the cracks to put a legit-looking C label on U models.  What exactly was stamped into the wood edges?

Punched-in numbers shown on pics attached.

There are some small holes in backside of the frontpanel, two left and two on the right, also on each tophat three holes apprearing to be from a piece of wood standing up, the outlines of which are visible [someone drew a pencil around them].

Difficult to take pics; they're in storage with not much light and they're black...

All numbers match with the labels, all seem to be 100% original, no numbers altered or added.

These numbers are also punched in inside the woofer-compartment.

Would really like to know more about these !

Nico

post-33317-0-53000000-1408730960_thumb.j

post-33317-0-62960000-1408730966_thumb.j

post-33317-0-99080000-1408730984_thumb.j

post-33317-0-95720000-1408731005_thumb.j

post-33317-0-59440000-1408731027_thumb.j

Edited by nico boom

i stand by my statements, these left the factory C style and were converted to decorators. i would be proud to own these they are awesome. the letter L stands for 1973

all the letters stamped in the wood ( not the serial numbers ) are the first letter in the persons name who built them plus all the other people who worked on them, sanders-finishers etc.

here's a pair of C style on ebay, you see anything that looks similar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLIPSCHORN-K-HORN-SPEAKERS-/131273427874?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1e90818ba2

Edited by Budman

Thanks for your comments, especially the pics of the C-style Khorn on Ebay are interesting; the bottomplate of that tophat does not extend into the corner like mine but is sawed off  and the serial is stamped in the edge of the "sawed-off" piece. Mine are stamped into the sides.

I thought about a way to make false corners for them so I could use them in our current home, but they def. would upset my wife, who is just grown to be happy with the big Universal Classics in our living.

That also would mean I'd have to repaint them in another [much lighter] colour; just won't do that. Also I like the looks of this "open version"of the Khorn better than the C-style, they look less bulky.

They are in very good condition and need to be preserved and enjoyed in their original state [whatever that was when they left the factory..]. ;)

Thanks,

Nico

post-33317-0-75880000-1408781361_thumb.j

Edited by nico boom

Probably started out a style C but found defects in veneer and then changed to decorators. There are stories from Andy about them doing this just paint them black and send them down the line. Would be waste of time to convert style C back to decorators if they were all the way done. There where a lot of heresys done this way the sander finds bad spot and sends it back to be painted black. Some one from factory will need to chime in on this to confirm. Plus style C has the 3/4 inch ply wood spacer board on it and grill is set back a bit to I think.  Rick