Need some opinions

Scrappydue

• Moderators
reference_head, on 03 Sept 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:reference_head, on 03 Sept 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:reference_head, on 03 Sept 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

Audssey has its own level. You cant change that when it runs. It sets everything so that when you get up to 0 your at reference.

Well that shoots that idea in the butt, had a feeling you couldn't change it. Cover the mic with a bunch of sox :o

No way to just put something inline to lower the mic level instead of on each speaker ?

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

• Moderators
reference_head, on 03 Sept 2014 - 1:04 PM, said:

That would work but then he wont know that reference is at 0.

Until a few years ago no one knew unless they figured it out with a Db meter, they set the volume where they liked, 0 or reference really does not mean anything, especially since the word reference is used for almost anything these days.

OK I'll stop :blush:  

• Like 1

reference_head, on 03 Sept 2014 - 1:04 PM, said:

That would work but then he wont know that reference is at 0.

Until a few years ago no one knew unless they figured it out with a Db meter, they set the volume where they liked, 0 or reference really does not mean anything, especially since the word reference is used for almost anything these days.

OK I'll stop :blush:

Lol its ok man :) I know what your saying. I didnt even know macc set mine up that way tell a few months back. I can see how the ocd kicks in and somthings have to be set up right. To me the reference at 0 is not that big a deal. But im pretty ocd on some things that im sure no one else cares that much about. So I can see his side.

• Moderators

This was just interesting to me, I do not have any of the programs, all I have is a test tone for each channel and you set it with a meter. I don't even have any HDMI connections or the new codes for BR, Yamaha Rxv 730.  I have to use the 6.1 inputs.

But figure one day I may need to know about this stuff for when I get into the current century. It already looks like I may have missed the HDMI thing as it looks to be going out.

I shouldn't even be allowed to post in HT, we watch a movie every few months max, and it's usually the kids doing it, I should be banned from this section just for principal ! :(

I'm still trying to get Audyssey XT32 tweaked in my system. The slightest movement of my sub's gain knob can take the trim level from -8 to +10. With the sub's gain knob barely turned up from 0 I've been able to get the default trim config to around +3 on the sub trim, which in turn puts the other speakers at around -2. I prefer to have everything default at 0, but +/-3 is considered a good spot to be in.

This was just interesting to me, I do not have any of the programs, all I have is a test tone for each channel and you set it with a meter. I don't even have any HDMI connections or the new codes for BR, Yamaha Rxv 730.  I have to use the 6.1 inputs.

But figure one day I may need to know about this stuff for when I get into the current century. It already looks like I may have missed the HDMI thing as it looks to be going out.

I shouldn't even be allowed to post in HT, we watch a movie every few months max, and it's usually the kids doing it, I should be banned from this section just for principal ! :(

Ha! Yes get out!

I would tell you to get with it and get a avr but. One movie every 2mo is a hard sell. Dont you watch tv through your system?

• Moderators

On a rare occasion, but the commercials where they scream at you is aggravating, although some commercials have surprisingly good sound. I sometimes listen to football with it on, I like movies but we just don't seem to watch them except with the kids or guest. My wife can't seem to sit through a movie, especially if it an action movie or something silly.

One day I will get a newer receiver, that may get me going again, this one sounds fine but missing the BR formats for sound so I am missing out on that part. 

One problem I have is my receiver remote is part worn out, you can turn the volume up but the down button does not work, this tends to give people heart failure, I have seen them jump off the sofa during a loud scene. It is kind of funny. :D  

Edited by dtel

On a rare occasion, but the commercials where they scream at you is aggravating, although some commercials have surprisingly good sound. I sometimes listen to football with it on, I like movies but we just don't seem to watch them except with the kids or guest. My wife can't seem to sit through a movie, especially if it an action movie or something silly.

One day I will get a newer receiver, that may get me going again, this one sounds fine but missing the BR formats for sound so I am missing out on that part. 

One problem I have is my receiver remote is part worn out, you can turn the volume up but the down button does not work, this tends to give people heart failure, I have seen them jump off the sofa

during a loud scene. It is kind of funny. :D

I bet. Your room is like a loaded shotgun waiting to go off :) Its like one giant speaker lol

Edited by reference_head
  • Like 1

• Moderators

No way you hardly notice the speakers, but look at this guy. :o  :P

PRO CINEMA HOME THEATER ROOM                                                  HERITAGE HOME THEATER                                                  

KPT-904 X3 FRONT THREE                                               Cornwall 1981 FRONTS

KPT-1201-T2 SIDE SPEAKERS                                         Heresy  1973 SIDE/REAR

RB-61 II REAR SPEAKERS                                                EMO UMC-1 PRE AMP

SVS PB13-ULTRA BACK SUB                                           Sherbourn 4z-75 POWER AMP

SVS PB12-PLUS X2 FRONT SUBS                                   Sharp 70" 732 TV 

SC-55 Elite AVR                                                                SVS SB-2000 SUB

B&K 200.7 S2 POWER AMP

JVC RS-45 (with Darbee) PROJECTOR

Seymour center stage "125 2.35 AT SCREEN

OPPO BDP-103 BLU RAY PLAYER 

No way you hardly notice the speakers, but look at this guy. :o  :P

PRO CINEMA HOME THEATER ROOM                                                  HERITAGE HOME THEATER                                                  

KPT-904 X3 FRONT THREE                                               Cornwall 1981 FRONTS

KPT-1201-T2 SIDE SPEAKERS                                         Heresy  1973 SIDE/REAR

RB-61 II REAR SPEAKERS                                                EMO UMC-1 PRE AMP

SVS PB13-ULTRA BACK SUB                                           Sherbourn 4z-75 POWER AMP

SVS PB12-PLUS X2 FRONT SUBS                                   Sharp 70" 732 TV 

SC-55 Elite AVR                                                                SVS SB-2000 SUB

B&K 200.7 S2 POWER AMP

JVC RS-45 (with Darbee) PROJECTOR

Seymour center stage "125 2.35 AT SCREEN

OPPO BDP-103 BLU RAY PLAYER 

Lmao  :emotion-21:

I had the same issue with on board (or pro version which I bought the kit and license for) reach max attenuation of -12. I bought 12 db attenuators but about the same time changed from ALK extremes to DeanG crossovers. Dean's brought the level back in line so I never took the attenuators out of the bag.

My question for you Audyssey boys which know more than I; if I use Audyssey to do the set up and then use manual distance and gain (to ensure I haven't bump up to max limit) does the 'equalization' of Audyssey remain stored after the manual gain/distance adjustment?

Side note: it's difficult to find a laptop with a serial port connection these days and the USB to serial adapter is problematic I hear, not tried, so I run a 50' serial cable to my PC.