Setting up my first Klipsch RF7II 5.2 system.....

Abybaby

Folks
Long time lurker here...committed today and picked up the following package today. Should be arriving in a few days...

2 RF7II
1 RC64ii
2 RS62ii
2 Sw115
2 WA2 Wireless Kit
1 Denon AVR4520CI

I have a few HDMI cables but that's it. Can you help me please with what audio/video cables do I need to get this running? What gauge etc. what connectors? What cables for the subs incase I don't end up using the wireless kit? And what's a good place to get them? Please save me the agony of having the speakers delivered with no cables to get them going... Help a fellow Klipsch lover please....

Edited by Abybaby
  • Like 1

You can buy all cables from monoprice. Make sure you buy copper wire not copper coated. I'd say get get a couple 100foot rolls of 12 guage. The good stuff I think is 40-45$ a roll. Then grab a rca cable for subwoofers if you don't use the kit. That should be everything if you already have hdmi cables.

Oh by the way welcome! And I hope you went through a good dealer and got a great price on that and didn't pay msrp for it all. I'm guessing you didn't since you said you've been lurking around here. Prolly seen myself suggest a acoustic sound design a number of times.

• Moderators

Aby, welcome to the forums!

Super nice setup you picked up there. 

I've never used a wireless kit for my sub.  If you go the wired route, you will need the following:

Digital Coax Cable - Any of these from monoprice will work great

Y Splitter - 1 female end / 2 male ends

Single end goes into the Sub Out on your receiver, other end gets connected to the Y splitter and is connected to the back of your subwoofer Left & Right connector.

Use HDMI to connect each source (Bluray Player, Cable Box etc) from the sources into your receiver.  Then use the monitor out via HDMI on your receiver and go into your TV.  This will give you full HD Audio and HD Video and allow your receiver to do all of the video and audio switching.

Pick up some speaker wire from Monoprice.  They are inexpensive and offer great products.  If you need extra HDMI cables, they are fantastic and are SUPER cheap compared to your big box stores.

Guys..thanks a lot for the replies...will go though it all...I went through Sound Distributors...Labor Day Sale prices...and they were able to swap out the receiver for a bit more..

Will go through all your replies and hit up mono price... Will need more help as I build the whole system..projector and screen etc. so will be bugging you guys often.

I use emotiva rca's and have been extremely pleased with them and will recommend them again and again. The value for build quality is there IMO. I've used the monoprice coax rca's and they work pretty well. I just wanted a prettier cable and I found the emotiva cables to sound better. For long runs I use knukonceptz rca triple shielded, usually for my subwoofer runs but I also use their other cables for signal runs in my car.

I use monoprice wire too. It's great quality for the price. I buy 10 or 12 gauge when I can unless I have a short run and weight is a consideration.

I use GLS Audio wave flex banana plugs and have been extremely pleased with build quality and price. I can't stand thumbing down wire on binding posts. So much time and damn tedious. I'd rather spend the time doing the plugs once.

I use redmere hdmi cables from monoprice and I can't give them more praise. I have been so completely satisfied with them. They are great because they are extremely light and put very little stress on the hdmi ports which becomes an issues with heavier gauge hdmi and when you try to crunch your avr or processor in a cabinet and the wires get bent. I busted my video out on my processor and emotiva was able to fix it for me but I was out downtime of almost 3 weeks.

Edited by SuBXeRo

Thanks SubXero...wealth if UFO there...I'll check out your recommendations.

Ceptorman - nope. Moved in to a new house almost 3 yrs ago and have been wanting to finish out an open media room down there. Been lurking and reading forums and loosing my mind. Everybody has a strong opinion and sound is so subjective. Looked around and found a few dealers and auditioned Paradigm , Tannoys, def techs and Monitor Audio. Nothing grabbed me. Checked out some rf82s on Craigslist and liked the sound but they weren't in great shape. Back to forums and reading about this blows that out of water and that destroys this. Understood that auditioning is the only way to ever know what you are getting into - but I couldn't find dealers that had what I wanted to listen to. So decided to jump in before I lost my mind and drove my wife crazy trying to discuss what a tough decision it is...that's the long and short of it. Hoping I've made made the right decision. The rfs are monstrous and I hope the sound more than makes up for the blight on the landscape that my wife thinks such large speakers are. For me - always loved the look of large drivers...don't mind the size...

You bought an awesome setup. The 7's are incredibly powerful speaker. In your environment, you will never top them out or you'd go deaf. They will tirelessly perform at your every whim. I have done demos for people and their jaw just drops through my concrete slab and it always has more love to give. Prepare to be blown the eff away and then some. Please strap yourself, your wife, your kids and fellow friends in or they may get embedded in your walls.

I rarely don't have an opinion but I always (usually) do it with best intentions. Klipsch has made a many a subwoofer and of the ones made, only about 2 models have ever been worth their salt. The ones you got are going to perform but if you want the abyssal deep end of your movie soundtracks, I would research other subwoofer contenders. I make this suggestion as I am quite the upgrade veteran and you very much so have the opportunity to upgrade easily now. It's not to deter or detract from your new awesome purchase in any way but I have gotten the best suggestions in the 1 hour after I have bought something. I'm sure you have a return period so demo out the period with what you have and then make a decision. We all have our vices here and most of us are sub fiends. I drool for the bass. I want it to shred reality...if the movie or music calls for it, I want the aliens on the other side to complain that I am too noisy and knocked shut off their walls.

Edited by SuBXeRo

SubXero...thanks for the very thoughtful feedback. Appreciate the time you took to write that.

Not sure I have a return period with Sound Distributors. What are the chances of getting them sold on Audiogon or Craigslist? The thought was to setup and then get an SVS sub through their 30 day trial and compare. If that outperformed these two then I could go the route of getting rid of the SW115s. What do you suggest? Which sub to replace 2 sw115s?

• Like 1

• Moderators
The thought was to setup and then get an SVS sub through their 30 day trial and compare.

Cool idea.

I haven't heard the new SW series nor the SVS.  The SVS PB13-Ultra gets rave reviews but it should at $1999.  

If you don't mind used, the RSW-15 is a killer sub.

I previously had two Velodyne HGS15 (15" with 1250 watt amp).  When I bought my RSW-15, it sounded as good for movies and better for 2ch than the dual HGS15's so I sold them.  I couldn't believe the single RSW-15 could perform as well as (2) Velodyne HGS15's. 

I also had (2) RT-10d's but they didn't have near as much slam as the RSW-15 so I sold it to willland on the forums.

Folks

Long time lurker here...committed today and picked up the following package today. Should be arriving in a few days...

2 RF7II

1 RC64ii

2 RS62ii

2 Sw115

2 WA2 Wireless Kit

1 Denon AVR4520CI

I have a few HDMI cables but that's it. Can you help me please with what audio/video cables do I need to get this running? What gauge etc. what connectors? What cables for the subs incase I don't end up using the wireless kit? And what's a good place to get them? Please save me the agony of having the speakers delivered with no cables to get them going... Help a fellow Klipsch lover please....

Abybaby,

Welcome to the forum.

You (will)have yourself there a rocking system.  Folks on this forum are always willing to help with your questions and needs.

Enjoy.

Bill