RS-62 vs RB-81 for rear surrounds

Gold Deez

In more of a open floor plan would a direct radiating speaker be better then a dibole for rear surrounds? I'm already using a pair of RS-62's for rears but thinking of going with RB-81's. Think it would be worth the change? My current setup is a pair of RF-83's for fronts, RC-64 for center, 4 RS-62's for surrounds and rears, 4 Quintets for front and rear presence and dual SVS PB13 Ultras for subs.

• Like 1

Thanks. That's what I was thinking but wasn't quit sure. I am running a THX certified receiver, the RX-Z11. I'm on the hunt for a pair of black RB-81's then. I just got my SVS's a week ago and already cracked my drywall while watching Pacific Rim. Btw I noticed your from KC. I'm down in the Wichita area. Here's a quick pic of my setup. I'm rewiring all my stuff at the moment so it's a lil messy.

post-14730-0-51900000-1410323786_thumb.j

post-14730-0-98660000-1410323796_thumb.j

• Like 2

I am running a THX certified receiver, the RX-Z11.

The Z11 is one very serious AVR.  No external amp needed with that thing.  Twin PB13U's are also serious business.

One thing I would change before getting a pair of RB-81's for the rear surrounds, is getting that RC-64 away from the floor more in line with your 83's.  Have you considered putting it on the top shelf and sitting the TV on top?

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

The biggest difference using the RB 81 in the rear is the larger woofer will make for a little more bass coming from the back.  The RS speaker is nice because  you can put it on the wall out of the way and save floor space.  With autocalibration there may not be huge difference since the spl is calibrated and matched to the other speakers.  The room does not look overly large so, your call.  I have tried it with towers and RS speaker and both were pretty nice.  I have down size to a 7.x with FH speakers currently.

Move that center up!

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

The feet on the base of the tv is wider then the RC-64. I agree the center needs to come up. I did buy a set of the Auralex Mopad XL and used the filler piece to angle the speaker up some. There wasn't enough room on the bottom shelf to angle it up using both Auralex pieces though. Can anybody recommend me a nice tv stand that can accommodate the 64? I might hold off on the 81's. I do have a pair of RF-82's I was using in a different room for two channel listening I could move them and use for rears. I was just concerned about them not being high enough off the ground because of the back of the couch. Thanks for the replies.

What's FH speakers? I got the Z11 as a open box deal when they were closing them out at Ultimate Electronics. I love it. I was using one RT-12D for my sub up front but it died on me. I need to take it in for repair. I liked the option of going duals better anyways.

The feet on the base of the tv is wider then the RC-64. I agree the center needs to come up. I did buy a set of the Auralex Mopad XL and used the filler piece to angle the speaker up some. There wasn't enough room on the bottom shelf to angle it up using both Auralex pieces though. Can anybody recommend me a nice tv stand that can accommodate the 64?

You really don't need a new stand.  Maybe build or buy a riser for the RC-64 to slide under.

http://yournewtvconsole.com/RisersMedia.html

Bill

• Like 1

I had direct radiating for the rear. Then switched the RS-7s. I prefer the sound of the rears bouncing off the walls before they get to the main listening position.

Although I'm game to try a pair of RS-75s in the rear when I get a chance. :)

I had a pair of RS-7s in the rear and changed them to RB-75s...I listen to a lot of multichannel music and slightly prefer the RB-75s back there but I'd be lying if I said it was a big improvement on most material.

For the op--If you have various areas in the room that you listen to material or a wide seating arrangement then the RS series may work better but unless you have another place to put the speakers you are replacing or plan on selling them I would spend that money somewhere else.

I also agree with youthman about the position of your center not being optimal and if you can't place it higher, definitely angle it up as much as you can.

• Like 1

I run RB-75's in the rear of a 7.3 system. IMO you won't notice much difference at all between the RS-62 and the RB-75 in the rears until they start using those channels more in movies. Most movies still seem to be 5.1 and when they are 7.1 the rears still seem way under used IMO. Since you're already using the RS-62 I don't think it's worth spending money on RB-75's just for that. The RB-75 is however worth owning IMO so if you find a sweet deal, jump on it! They are awesome bookshelf speakers. 

• Like 1

I run RB-75's in the rear of a 7.3 system. IMO you won't notice much difference at all between the RS-62 and the RB-75 in the rears until they start using those channels more in movies. Most movies still seem to be 5.1 and when they are 7.1 the rears still seem way under used IMO. Since you're already using the RS-62 I don't think it's worth spending money on RB-75's just for that. The RB-75 is however worth owning IMO so if you find a sweet deal, jump on it! They are awesome bookshelf speakers. 

I totally agree that the RB-75s are excellent speakers and may very well be the best bang-for-your buck out there! :emotion-21:

That said, in regard to rear channel material--As mentioned, I listen to a lot of multichannel music and using Dolby PLIIz and the matrixing function of the various Denon AVRs before that it definitely creates a soundfield that could make you think a discrete rear channel is back there...The best example is the whole Talking Heads DVD-Audio collection and the remix of Burning down the House is MOST AWESOME!

Also keep in mind that most movies in theaters (up until a couple of years ago) are 5.1 and they use rear speakers as well using processing to manipulate this material just like we do in our homes.  

Edited by tkdamerica
  • Like 1

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I'm facing a similar dilemma. I have all Reference series model 25 components (RF, RS, RB, RS)

I built my own oak stands for my RB's as surrounds. The stands are tall enough to clear the backs of the couch and chair, but it puts the listener slightly below the coverage of the horn. I scored some RS-25's off eBay (in transit) to try in place of the RB's. I hope it's not a mistake. Here's the current setup:

EB8FB0D7-B9B0-4F0E-9297-4243F87183E8-110

0E7638B3-DF3F-42DF-8885-46847CBED137-120

AB75C29B-D8E2-4978-94E0-C380760F9BAD-120

D9A7765F-E5CC-4370-BB86-00DC6F65CCC5-120

I'd like to wall-mount the RS's, but these damned lamps get in the way of the highs. Any suggestions?

For hydro's setup don't you want the rb's behind the couch aimed towards the listening area? I will have the same issue. I just updated everything to Denon 4520 rc64 rf83 rs7 and rb81 and 2 SVS pb12 nsd and I was wondering about using rs instead of rb but the 81s were to cheap to pass up same with the 7s. It will be a couple of weeks till setup

Thanks. That's what I was thinking but wasn't quit sure. I am running a THX certified receiver, the RX-Z11. I'm on the hunt for a pair of black RB-81's then. I just got my SVS's a week ago and already cracked my drywall while watching Pacific Rim. Btw I noticed your from KC. I'm down in the Wichita area. Here's a quick pic of my setup. I'm rewiring all my stuff at the moment so it's a lil messy.

nice not too far from me! Hey I'll tell you what if you wanna get rid of that rt-12d let me know. I may be interested even if broken.
  • Like 1