Satellite Setup Recommendations Needed For a Friend

Youthman

• Moderators

Friend of mine asked me to help him find a budget system (no more than $300) to replace his Sony bookshelf speakers.  Of course I'm looking at moving him to Klipsch. 

He bought an entertainment center that takes up the entire wall so there is no room for floorstanding speakers of any kind.  Room isn't incredibly large so smaller speakers should work fine for him.

I would love to get him some small bookshelf speakers (ie RB-61) but a $300 budget isn't going to get him 5 speakers and possibly a small sub.  LOL

sony-1.jpg

sony-2.jpg

sony-3.jpg

Believe this is the model number of the center channel.

sony-4.jpg

Any Klipsch speaker would outperform this surround.

sony-5.jpg

So far, here is what I found.....

Option 1 - Quintet III New in Box (guy bought a soundbar instead) for $150.  I could then pick him up a Velodyne CT-120 (12" with 120 watt amp) for $100 OBO (so probably $75.00).  Total Cost: $225 - $250.

Option 2 - Quintet (I think it may be the 1st Version but not sure) for $300.  This is all 5 speakers and a Klipsch sub (not sure what model goes with this set.  Can someone help give me some direction based on the photos?

She sent me these addtional photos without the grills

quintet-5.jpg

quintet-6.jpg

Edited by Youthman

• Moderators

Would appreciate help identifying Option 2 and Option 3 as well as your opinions on which option would be a good upgrade from his current Sony setup.

He's powering them all by his Harman Kardon AVR146 (Has HDMI, Dolby Digital & DTS and only 30 watts per channel).  He has no desire to change his receiver so Option 3, we would have a receiver to sell to make the deal less than $300.

• Moderators

We had some Quintets, I don't know what version and I was really impressed. With a decent sub it would be really nice, I have recommended them lot for people who want something small or inexpensive. For there size and cost they will surprise you.

• Like 1

• Moderators
The sub is what makes the HD 500 or quints a decent system.

Yeah, I've told him that if we go with satellite speakers, he has to have a small sub or they will sound terrible and there will be no bass.

Is she buying off CL?

Yes, I'm looking on CL for them.

We had some Quintets, I don't know what version and I was really impressed. With a decent sub it would be really nice, I have recommended them lot for people who want something small or inexpensive. For there size and cost they will surprise you.

Yeah, that was my thought too. 

• Moderators

Jason, that may not be a bad option for him.  The sub seems to be on par with the Velodyne CT-120 that we were considering (think it has been sold).  Bookshelf speakers "should" sound better than satellite speakers.  The Dayton sub has great reviews, the bookshelf speakers have zero reviews.

I'll see what he thinks. 

• Moderators

Yeah, these RB-3's would make sweet main speakers for him but I think they will be way too high for the shelves he has.  I'll get him to measure the space tomorrow so I can see what is the largest bookshelf the entertainment center will fit.

Edited by Youthman