Another Clueless eBay seller

DizRotus

This 2nd-hand owner of these DIY single-driver speakers has no idea what the crossover is intended to accomplish. 

• "These Crossovers have the role of separating the signals that go to the speakers and send each speaker only the frequency ranges that are adequate for it. Homemade crossovers use capacitors, resistors and coils to separate the frequencies."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Realistic-Fostex-FE-103-Pair-of-Speakers-40-1197-with-Cross-Overs-/151418508573?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:US:1120

Perhaps the top half of the driver gets the high frequencies and the bottom half gets the bass.

I know notch filters are often used with single-drivers, but that's not what the original builder was trying to do here.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

He is on the right track:

"Large cross overs, these crossovers were installed by the gentleman I purchased these speakers from they are plenty for these speakers..."

You do not want to buy a speaker that does not have enough crossover, but rest assured, these do in fact have plenty. 

What are the caps and the coil for in this speaker?  Limit the response to a certain range? 

• Like 1

I do not think the drivers are Fostex. Looking at the enlarged pics, the back of the driver is printed with the text: 

"Realistic FE-103"

Does Fostex make speakers for Radio Shack? That would be interesting. 

I noticed the part number too is a valid Radio Shack SKU, but I don't know enough about vintage audio to make any kind of assessment. 

I do not think the drivers are Fostex. Looking at the enlarged pics, the back of the driver is printed with the text: 

"Realistic FE-103"

Does Fostex make speakers for Radio Shack? That would be interesting.

You bet those are Fostex with a Realistic brand on them, Fostex supplied a number of drivers for Radio Shack under the Realistic brand name. Best regards Moray James.

I have six of the Radio Shack FE-103 RS 40-1197 drivers and a single Fostex FE 103. Fostex did make the RS 40-1197 drivers for Radio Shack. They are similar in appearance, construction, specs and performance, but the real Fostex is superior. The 40-1197s have a cult following in DIY and single-driver forums.

I use the single real Fostex as the center speaker for the TV. I had to cover the back of the speaker grill with black grill cloth so the tan banana pulp cone wouldn't show through.

The black driver is an RS 40-1197, the tan driver is a Fostex FE 103.

post-6832-0-65120000-1411431872_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-43040000-1411431893_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-40880000-1411432121_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

Would those be classified as folk art?  

The "crossover" is a notch filter to reduce the midrange.

I had never heard of that. I looked it up and found this interesting info: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_8/5.html

...and a calculator: http://www.mh-audio.nl/parallelnotchfilter.asp

Edited by mustang guy