Need help fixing a receiver - experts please chime in

tigerwoodKhorns

I have a Denon AVR 5800 receiver (aka AV1SE in Europe).  I finally put it back in service and first, wow, this thing sounds great.  The tuner is lousy, but feed it a good source and it really sounds great. 

But I noticed that I cannot get a test tone out of it and the subwoofer out does not work.  I have not tried the digital inputs.  I am assunming that a board inside is bad but have no idea of how to diagnose. 

I need schematics if they are available.  I also need a good tech or to know how to diagnose it.  I can take it apart and put it back together if needed, just need advice. 

If anyone knows of a good forum for this, that will work too. 

I am really amazed at just how good this receiver is.

You did not ask but the user's manual:

http://assets.denon.com/documentmaster/us/avr5800_ownersmanual.pdf

Looking at this image, I could find no labels for sw or lfe:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3dr4mwlLPYr/p_033AVR5800/Denon-AVR-5800-A-V-Receiver.html

Big help huh?

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

Yes, all of the basics have been checked, and double checked sub hookup, subwoofer settings, etc.  The receiver is not fuinctioning properly.

The receiver will also not generate test tones for any of the speakers.  I need to check the digital input this weekend.  I think that one board controlls all of this, but I do not know which one. 

I had one of these when I bought K Horns many years ago and I kept reading on this forum about how "harsh" SS was. I could not hear it with the receiver through K Horns.  I eventually sold it and later bought another one.  I hooked it up in HT configuration over the weekend and it really sounds good, with plenty of power to drive all of my speakers, so I really want to keep it. 

It has an "EXT IN" mode where you can run 7 channels through, which is great with a DVD player or maybe even a processor in the future. 

Did I mention how good it sounds? 

Have you hit the default reset to reset all line inputs, settings? Your manual will tell you the sequence. You will then have to go through the entire setup to get it the way you want it. They usually have it at the end of the manual kind of hiding so you have to look hard for it.

JJK

Edited by JJKIZAK

It's probably just dirty. Throw it in the dishwasher.

If that doesn't work, sometimes baking in oven for a short period of time does the trick. If all else fails, just sell it on Ebay for $50,000 and go buy a car.

Breathing too much carb cleaner again. 

SO, anyone have something productive?  Someone here must know how to work on these things, or a forum where I can go. 

I bought a Denon receiver back in the mid 90s to replace a Yamaha for double duty (music and HT). Although it did sound better than the Yammy, it was no great shakes for music. That was the beginning of separating the two formats, The Denon worked fine for movies and I bought a McCormack DNA-1 for music. All was well......

Shakey

• Like 1

My advice is find the nearest local authorized Denon repair center and have them do the repair, they should know your receiver better than most and perform any other updates if needed as well.

I think shipping delicate electronics is not worth the risk especially if they are of value to you.

• Like 1

I bought a Denon receiver back in the mid 90s to replace a Yamaha for double duty (music and HT). Although it did sound better than the Yammy, it was no great shakes for music. That was the beginning of separating the two formats, The Denon worked fine for movies and I bought a McCormack DNA-1 for music. All was well......

Shakey

Some day I'll have to buy some decent 2 channel equipment so that I can see for myself, but for now I really want to fix the receiver.  It sounds good to me.  ;)

Have you been through the manual? Page 19, turning sub on/off?

Yes, all of the basics have been checked, and double checked sub hookup, subwoofer settings, etc.  The receiver is not fuinctioning properly.

The receiver will also not generate test tones for any of the speakers.  I need to check the digital input this weekend.  I think that one board controlls all of this, but I do not know which one. 

I had one of these when I bought K Horns many years ago and I kept reading on this forum about how "harsh" SS was. I could not hear it with the receiver through K Horns.  I eventually sold it and later bought another one.  I hooked it up in HT configuration over the weekend and it really sounds good, with plenty of power to drive all of my speakers, so I really want to keep it. 

It has an "EXT IN" mode where you can run 7 channels through, which is great with a DVD player or maybe even a processor in the future. 

Did I mention how good it sounds? 

Okay sorry, just a sanity check.

I do appreciate it, all of the responses (well, except Mustang Guy...) :angry:

I found the schematics on ebay.  I will try to register for the DIY audio website this weekend and see if there is anything there.  It may be cost prohibitive to fix this through a shop, especially with the features of the newer receivers, but this one just sounds so good and is a powerhouse. 

If it cannot be fixed, the amp boards are on the outside and it has a huge power supply, I might try to modify it into a 7 channel amp. 

• Like 1