Internal Speaker Wiring

Deang

I'm sure you are going to have replies like monster wire etc... In my opinion just make sure it is fairly large guage, nothing smaller than 16 guage. More importantly, make sure the connections are solid. Alot more power and clarity is lost through poor connections than any wire.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

This one was discussed some time ago. You might want to check the archives.

When I have to replace wiring in the cabinet, I use either the same kind as was there to start with, or what I use for speaker cables. Whatever you use will not make an audible difference. The amount of wire is miniscule compared to the wire in the speaker cables, voice coils and inductors.

Like NOZ says, make sure the connections are solid.

I have Analysis Plus speaker wire and will be rewiring my new ('85) Khorns with AP cable. The cable in the Khorns is original and looks pretty corroded.

I've used AP cables for about 3 years now and find them very non-idiosyncratic. The price is pretty good too.

I'll post my impressions when I finish the job.

------------------

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconects: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords: CPCC Top Gun and Model 11

Line conditioner: CPCC Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns

This message has been edited by Mike82 on 07-29-2002 at 07:19 AM

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there, last week I replaced the xover and internal wiring on my 78 khorns. I used DH Labs Silversonic T-14 wire (14 Ga). TI replaced the xovers at the same time, but I did an a-b comparison on the speakers, one speaker with new wire and one without. Immediately I could hear a differince between them. The speaker with new wire was way more revealing. During the first 10 or so hours, the sound was a little brittle (but still an improvement over the stock wiring and xover). Now that it has had time to settle-in, is has a very fast, lively, character. The speakers give a tighter and more immediate presence. Their voice is absolutely beautiful. Overall, the new set-up is like turbo-charging the speakers.I like accurate sounding equipment and I like this wire.

It is tough to argue with a board member who says he switched to "super" wire, and there was an improvement. I'm not there to hear it, and so what sort of witness am I?

However, I just can't believe that there is anything to be gained by super wire. If I did, I'd certainly use it on my home builts.

I did start with 12 gauge wire on a project. It was pretty much of a nusance. Soldering to connectors is more troublesome. Also, you look at the winding of inductors, the leads on capacitors, the leads to the voice coil, the voice coil itself. None of those is anywhere near as thick as even normal hook-up wire, say 18 gauge.

For long wire runs to feed the speakers, a larger gauge may well have an advantage. But if you're talking a one foot run within the speaker, I just can't see there is a problem with 18 or 16 gauge wire. Therefore, I think there is not a problem to be solved in the first place.

As mentioned by others, clean, snug connections, are important.

Gil

I think anyone with "vintage" Klispsh would notice a difference (maybe not HUGE, but . . . ) by sh*t-canning the 25 or 40 year old stock lampcord and using some high quality wire. I used the DH labs hookup wire which is cheap. I'm sure any decent quality "new" wire would be an improvement.

I copied this from Roger Russell's speaker wire web page:

"The DC resistance of a typical 8-ohm speaker system is about 7 ohms. This resistance is due to the wire in the woofer voice coil. It may be a total shock to some people to know that a typical 8-ohm four layer woofer voice coil contains about 120 feet of number 28 solid copper wire. This wire is all in the circuit with the speaker system hookup wire. It's also much longer than a normal run of hookup wire from the amplifier to the speaker. Even a mid range speaker can have about 30 feet of number 33 solid copper wire and a tweeter can have 20 feet of number 35 solid copper wire."

So if the woofer has 120 feet of 28 ga wire in the voice coil, how is a few inches of super wire in the crossover going to make much difference?

I think that cleaning the connections may make a lot more difference than changing the wire. Just my opinion.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1978 Klipschorns (mains), SF'2's (center), 1979 La Scalas (rear surrounds), RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590, SF-1's Mainsc>s>

Other than the new line, using monster cable, the old vintage wire (WHITE) with red and black stripes, needs to be upgraded!

No matter where i cut the wire, both strands were silver!

Installing 12 guage made a more copper connection, which i thnik improved the sound!

If i were to use 12 gauge on the coil, it would be 48 inches in diameter LOL!

Im not going to start argue, been there done that!

tblasing, has also done this, and did hear a better sound!

Bass, especially!

Regards Jim

I still cant believe that some of these loons have not heard any difference with various wires. Talk about stubborn... lord. The fact that we are still debating this is sad in and of itself. Tom B, do you mean to tell me you have never heard a difference with wire in any systems you have sampled? I know you are 100% lamp cord certified, and I admit, some of the differences are slight, while others bring WORSE sound. But to say that there are no differences is simply off the mark and akin to sticking your head in the sand. Going to a Belden 89259 derived twisted pair from my double runs of 18awg RS Solid Core (the 50 cents worth of RS 18awg had replaced some Transparent cable, that did not work with SET and horns at all) brought a jaw dropping difference. Let me say that again:

JAW DROPPING difference. Literally. My wife and I both sat back and said, "Lord...that is almost like a component upgrade." Does this always happen? No.

In fact, when I see guys on here that say there is no difference in sound with various wires, I usually think that:

A. They have not tried a wide sampling of wire in their systems

B. They have systems that lack the resolution to hear the difference a change in wire might bring.

C. They dont give a damn (which is perhaps preferable to the other two!)

Yes, too much emphasis can be placed on wire and the prices for some of these samples are exorbitant and over the top. Still, I have found countless times, in various systems whether horn loaded, tubed, SS, digital, or vinyl, that cables DO in fact make a difference, although not always as you had hoped. Thre is a tremendous law of diminishing returns here. And the old adage of THICKER wire is always better has not been my experience.

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 08-28-2002 at 05:04 PM

Good afternoon, I haven't been around lately to see the replies to my post. I seem to have sparked a small debate. I'm back. Please allow me to retort. There are indeed differences between the sounds of certain cables (or for those who need spoon-feeding "wire"). In electrical theory this is absolutely incorrect, I'll admit that. But anyone who has heard the beauty of a tube amp will know that theory only goes so far. My post to this topic was not to talk anyone into buying anything, especially those who cannot hear the difference in cables. If you are happy, GREAT! SUPER! Don't spend the money! I just cannot grasp how narrow your field of perspective must be. With a pair of speakers that have a sensitivity of 104db, any small improvement (or fault) is magnified to a great degree. For those of you that don't believe in the difference in cables, do you believe that different capacitors do indeed sound different? If not there is absolutely no reason to waste any more breath on you. If you do believe that different caps do sound different, why is it so hard for you to grasp your mind around another, yet similar, concept? All this shows me is that a few people, who are on this forum, do not have a lot of experience in audio. Sometimes things are different even though they shouldn't be. Just because you don't know something for sure, doesn't mean that it does not exist. You just haven't been able to see/hear/touch/taste it. For those of you who do believe different cables sound different, I still like my new cables! Wink.gif

Mobile---Nah, I never heard a difference, even when going from old 18ga lamp-cord to new 14ga from Home Depot. :-)

I can certainly see that wires could change the sound but that brings up a philosophical question--do we want it to? If lampcord, said to be competant and capable of passing the entire signal by most electrical engineering types, sounds like "this" and then some boutique wire sounds like "that"; well isn't the second wire incompetant? It must be filtering the signal. Generally that's considered a bad thing.

Given that

A--I couldn't hear differences in DBTs and

B--some of the best rigs I've heard were wired with lampcord, romex and other such Plebian things, well Mobile, wire just doesn't interest me.

See Mobile, the other thing is that these guys do a litle something like changing wire or putting putty under their speakers and WHAM! HUGE difference, veils are lifted, the music "took off" and so on. I find it hard to credit that such things would make a bigger difference than I hear when going from, oh say Boses to Quad ESs. So I put such things down to hysteria, groupthink and delusion. Not that I think you're hysterical or delusional, you're reasonable and I like you so even if you are delusional I'll stick-up for you. But I think you know what I mean.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Jason,

The fact that you "cannot grasp how narrow" someone's perspective is speaks volumes about you.

Yes, there are folks with little experience with audio on this forum. Duh! There are also folks with a lot of experience with audio on this forum.

And there are folks with a lot of experience who probably don't agree with you about a lot of things. Get used to it.

If you have something useful to contribute, please do. I am sure we are all interested in your experiences. But take the attacks somewhere else.

Glad you like your new cables.