NEW - Klipsch Reference Speaker Selector

Chad

I think it's good for pushing a product you want to move but I think there are a lot of great product lines missing from it.  I think sometimes people want a definitive answer and almost want to be told what to do but I think you should add a budget parameter as well.  I never saw a Palladium or Ultra series in there or am I missing something?

• Administrators

Therefore it is a very limited instrument

It is a tool.  There are very few All-in-One tools.

To expand on this - the plan is to eventually have more product lines in the application. For now, we are treating this web app as an experiment using just Reference/Ref II.

• 2 weeks later...

Forum peeps get first peeks. This is a web app that fills a need we've long had - a way to suggest certain systems (5.1 mainly) based on just a few questions being asked.

It is not a "be all, end all" or "last word" thing. It is merely meant to steer prospective customers in a certain direction. that said, there was some science that went into this. It will be updated as new products are released.

Please check it out! Also as with any new application, there may be bugs. Feel free to let me know about them.

http://selector.klipsch.com

Thanks!

Is there a way to make an "ultra high end" feature for those who would want all PRO stuff in their home theater? I had Khorns fresh out of college with a new wife to enjoy them with for over 30 years and moved up to the KPT line, including the Grand (MCM) stuff.

So, why not add two more choices: 1) All heritage Khorn flanks, LaScala middle, and Heresy surrounds with 4 15" subs.  2) Jubilee 535 flanks, Pro LaScala middle, and KPT-12-VB surrounds and the 1802 sub?

No offense, but to guys like me RF-7's are nothing more than highly evolved KG-4's with better drivers. Still "mickey mouse" in comparison to the big stuff. I know it would not be as popular, but why not let the 0.1% of the population decide what they want too!!

Edited by ClaudeJ1

but why not let the 0.1% of the population decide what they want too!!

The 0.1% don't need the selector ;)

Good point, but what would it cost them to have the true "Pinnacles" in place for easy comparison? Also what about the Palladium line? Why not sell EVERYTHING they make instead of filtering out?

I attended Axpona in Chicago several months ago. I was appalled at the prices these guys were asking for their products. 8 grand for a pair of bookshelf speakers, really? You can get a pair of Jubilees for that and they would blow away everything inclucing speakers that cost over 100 grand. What a world.

Notice it's a "Reference" Speaker Selector therefore the other series would not be included

Well Klipsch is Klipsch, "Reference" is a bit pretentious if you ask me. Reference to what? It's a MARKETING term and I get that. I was in Indy during the new reference demo. Yes, they get loud, but for those of us who have been spoiled with ALL HORNS in our systems, the higher distortion of direct radiators playing that loud is easily detectable by ear.

I have a friend who has some really nice DIY direct radiator speakers with expensive drivers driven by expensive electronics. They sound great at 80 db (amazing imaging), but crank them to 90 plus and you can hear mushy bass and higher IM distortion.

The hardest thing to get with low distortion in ANY system is the bass. Paul got the bass right over 65 years ago with the Klipschorn and even more right with the Jubilee bass. The company was built on that and the direct radiators (yes I know the Heresy saved the company business wise), but it seems to be wrong not to promote HORN BASS at all with an EASY button. You can't cheat physics. Bass reflex is a good compromise, but still a compromise.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• Administrators

That's even more true than you think.

The selector is for those who have NO IDEA what to look for when looking for a 5.1 system for their needs.

That said, I'm noting all these suggestions for possible future revisions, so keep them coming.

That's even more true than you think.

The selector is for those who have NO IDEA what to look for when looking for a 5.1 system for their needs.

That said, I'm noting all these suggestions for possible future revisions, so keep them coming.

Thanks for listening. The Sears "good, better, best" or McDonald's "Regular, Large, or XtraLarge" (they had nothing small) has worked. So how about "beginner, intermediate, advanced" buttons. Or something to that effect.