Bad advice?

timdog5000

Good evening gentlemen,

I currently have an SVS PB 12 ultra/2 . I had someone tell me yesterday that I should turn the unit upside down take the bottom plate off and let the subs play upward into the air and also point the portals into my room. By the look on my face he could tell I thought he was crazy. I did not do either but curious if there is any advantage to doing either?

I have never heard or read anything like that, but that doesn't mean diddly!

Facing up or down will make no difference most likely. And firing ports into room may "clean" up any boom which I doubt you have we are talking Svs. I think there will be the loss in output from no longer being corner load. However I could

Be wrong about that. Either way I think it would be as stupid as you thought it would be when whoever told you that.

In orchestral music, there is the concept of having the tubas (the bells face upward, not forward) have the bass "over" the top to fill auditorium, and have the other musicians play towards the audience.  Although subs are omni-directional, they were not designed to work that way.

I have heard the idea of having subs face the back wall instead of forward facing, but that is only if you have specific bass requirements which can obtained from boundary gain.  For a more complete explanation, see Mustang Guy's post directly upstream.

Edited by wvu80

...I had someone tell me yesterday that I should turn the unit upside down take the bottom plate off and let the subs play upward into the air and also point the portals into my room.

By the look on my face he could tell I thought he was crazy. I did not do either but curious if there is any advantage to doing either?

Assuming your sub is presently sitting on carpet of reasonable thickness, I can tell you that what you're going to hear is greater amounts of higher frequency distortions, such as chuffing, cone breakup modes, and perhaps more higher order harmonics.  Coupling of the sub to the room boundaries won't be affected unless you've presently located your sub away from the room's walls/corners and/or floor. 

This actually brings up an interesting point:  I've met many people that when they hear greater amounts of harmonic distortion in their sub(s)--particularly second harmonic--that they mention that the sub "sounds better".  (...And if you haven't figured it out yet...it doesn't sound better to me.)

This is also the case when I listen to vented boxes vs. horn-loaded subs: horn-loaded subs typically have much lower amounts of harmonic distortion--due to the much shorter distances that their cones must move in order to reproduce the input signal relative to store-bought direct radiating subs, and much lower amounts of AM and compression distortion. 

I've seen these same people say that they "like the sound" of the direct-radiating sub(s), which is to me nothing more than "accommodation" or even "acclimatization" by listeners used to hearing that kind of distortion most of their lives, not realizing that the real thing (i.e., the real live performance--especially by acoustic instrumentation) typically doesn't have that extra added THD, modulation distortion, and compression distortion generated by their loudspeakers/subs. 

The reasons for this preference, I believe, is the inaudibility of clean infrasonic bass at or below ~20-40 Hz band unless it is at extremely high SPL, but the obvious audibility of the second harmonics being generated in the 40-80 Hz band.

e06f652d9d.jpg

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Aaahh, Chris.  You made my head hurt.  But really, this is why this forum is so good.  When somebody has a question there is always somebody that can come back and answer it in a very compelling manner.

Okay good, my thoughts were the same as all the above, only much more rudimentary then some. :) especially with SVS designing the sub, "they know best on proper placement of it" I'll keep it in my corner placement downfiring like it's supposed to be. Thanks for all the info Klipsch Bros!

Good evening gentlemen,

I currently have an SVS PB 12 ultra/2 . I had someone tell me yesterday that I should turn the unit upside down take the bottom plate off and let the subs play upward into the air and also point the portals into my room. By the look on my face he could tell I thought he was crazy. I did not do either but curious if there is any advantage to doing either?

I have never heard or read anything like that, but that doesn't mean diddly!

Seems like bad advise. Did he say what he was basing this on?

Seems like bad advise. Did he say what he was basing this on?

Yes, we want to know. . .  Perhaps there is something we aren't considering.  

If you want the sub to sound better in that room, or any room, add at least one more sub exactly like it, and position it in the room so as to reduce the dead spots (room modes).

[quote name="reference_head" post="1786816" timestamp="1412637095"

If you want the sub to sound better in that room, or any room, add at least one more sub exactly like it, and position it in the room so as to reduce the dead spots (room modes).

I would love nothing more than to add another sub. Waiting till I have the jack saved at this point. Been posting on AVS and searching search tempest for another pb12 ultra/2 but will probably wind up adding a pb13 ultra. Maybe on oct 10th SVS will come out with something no one can do without and I will come into a plethora of PB13 for sale. :)

I would love nothing more than to add another sub. Waiting till I have the jack saved at this point. Been posting on AVS and searching search tempest for another pb12 ultra/2 but will probably wind up adding a pb13 ultra. Maybe on oct 10th SVS will come out with something no one can do without and I will come into a plethora of PB13 for sale. :)

Have you heard any rumors on what they are coming out with on 10.10?

Edited by reference_head

Sell that Svs and build you a couple Marty subs! If you can afford a used ultra then you can afford the Marty's. And I even bet you can find a local guy that would help build or maybe for a small fee build for you.

Jason STR can build me a T HT and I thought maybe that is the route to go. I just wish I could hear one in person.

I love my little anarchy horns. They are super clean and even only going to 25 hz I don't feel like I'm missing much. Their limit is output. I would love to build an f-20 in the next house if I could stash it in a closet and shoot the horn in the room. But regular living room. Too big. For what I have now anyways.