OK, so it's a car sub thing

USNRET

The system thoughts so far:

Kenwood DPX500BT

Front door / A pillar speakers either Focal ISS 165 two way

• 5-70 watts RMS power range (140 watts peak)
  • frequency response: 60-20,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 92.6 dB

or 165AS3 three way in the front door / A pillar

• 2-80 watts RMS power range (160 watts peak)
  • frequency response: 55-20,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 90 dB

Focal 100CA1SG two way in the rear doors

• 2-40 watts RMS power range (80 watts peak)
  • 4-ohm impedance
  • frequency response: 90-20,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 89 dB

Amps: Focal FPP4100 for the mains and FPP1000 for the sub

Sub Focal 27V1

• 11" 4-ohm subwoofer
  • Polyglass cone with butyl rubber surround
  • zamak (zinc alloy) basket
  • power range: 50-250 watts RMS
  • peak power handling: 500 watts
  • frequency response: 34-500 Hz
  • sensitivity: 85.8 dB
  • top-mount depth: 5-1/8"
  • ported box volume: 0.53-1.06 cubic fee

What effect does the box size play here as the recommendation doubles? Smaller does what? Larger? I'll have to measure the available space under the seat.

I would focus my money on the front of the cabin, this is where you want your soundstage.

Maybe some midbass drivers in the rear. Or if the rear is important to you get matching speakers for the rear.

Don't buy without listening first, big $$$ does not always relate to better sound.

A 10" driver in a Auto Tuba would be an ideal low distortion sub to fill in the low notes.

• Like 2

A 10" driver in a Auto Tuba would be an ideal low distortion sub to fill in the low notes.

Don't see any ready designs that would fit under my rear seat; a must have.

Don't buy without listening first, big $$$ does not always relate to better sound.

I've been asking but haven't found anything to listen to that is installed. I don't think the store sound room means anything.

Edited by USNRET

Looks like you're stuck having a custom cabinet built or one that fits in the available space then.

I've been asking but haven't found anything to listen to that is installed. I don't think the store sound room means anything.

Just go with matching components for best results.

Heard an Auto Tuba at a local car show earlier this year, it was a single 8. I thought it sounded great and more output than expected.

Have not heard the Truck Tuba as of yet nor have i heard of anybody building one but they are probably some out there.

When I was a young 20-something, I had a Chrysler LeBaron convertible. The only thing that could overcome the lack of interior acoustics was a sealed triple-10" box in the trunk. I ran a Japan-built 300w Pioneer amp into three custom JL's with 12-ohm coils in parallel. That did the trick.

You can have great performance out of sealed and ported.  You will tend to find that pre-fab enclosures are typically tuned to 36-40hz, therefore, they will typically play louder than a sealed enclosure.  I prefer to tune my ported boxes to no more than 32hz and have tuned them as low as 27hz.  Sealed boxes obviously play lower and are more cleaner and more accurate at the lower frequencies.  I currently have two 10" Image Dynamic ID10 subs in a sealed enclosure in one truck and a single JL 10W3 in a ported box in another truck. They definitely sound different and I would say the single 10 in the ported box is just as loud as the two in the sealed box. Both systems sound great! Just a little different.

What effect does the box size play here as the recommendation doubles? Smaller does what? Larger?

Typically efficiency increases with an increase in box size.

and then what "tunes" the sub? I assume that enclosure size and port diameter / length changes response? Attached info on shop recommended sub from Focal

fiche-technique-27v1.pdf

have you checked out the jl audio website? they have pre made fiberglass enclosures for specific vehicles that supposedly sound fantastic.
  • Like 1

JL Audio works for me. I drive a gen 2 Scion Xb with subs under the front seats. I run 6W3v3-4 in a JL recomended sealed enclosure of .15 cubic' and F3 of 34hz. I run an Alpine amp speced at 350wpc mono. Clean, tight and tactile. And with them located up front the bass does not was out with the windows down. It won't compete with the mega watt, high displacement setups but it does provide a very balanced system. I run the JL 6.5 C3 system up front at 100 wpc. Sweet to me!