Finish this analogy...

mattSER

So, any mid-range speaker companies making speakers that are typically considered warm?

What kind of budget are we talking?

Polk RT's.  I own a pair of the RT-25i's bookshelf speakers that are definitely warm sounding.

As a matter of fact they are sitting idle on a shelf as we speak.  I could sell them if you are interested.  They are rock solid speakers in excellent condition in a real wood cherry stain veneer.  Great bass response for a smallish speaker.

If not, here is an RT setup near you.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4715798894.html

Bill

Anywaaayyy, I'm asking for my mom. She prefers a much warmer sound and does not like the horn-loaded sound of her KGs. So what would be a warmer, more laid back alternative to klipsch? B&W? Polk?

How about this.  Don't give up on Klipsch just yet and add a tube buffer to the mix to inject some warmth in to play.  I have never used one but have heard many tout it being a cheaper alternative to going to a full bore tube amp.

Bill 

Ok how about this for Mom; get into the computer audio software and pick a room mode. I think the presets will be bathroom auditorium cave, etc. I've never been happy with PC presets but maybe there is something mom might like. There might even be an EQ you can fiddle with.

I think the first thing I would do is pull the computer out of the mix, and give it some good source material. cd player or something...I agree with other opinions, I wouldn't quite give up on these speakers yet. 

Edit: Take the KG's and connect them to your system, do a few minutes work on setting them up and let her listen to the KG's one more time. 

Edited by Turbox

Taking the pc out is not possible. She is a spotify fiend.

She needs only 2 speakers and budget is quite low. She's not the kind to let me spend more than a $100-200 on speakers for her.

I think I might actually try some Polk RT bookshelves and see how she likes it.

Ok how about this for Mom; get into the computer audio software and pick a room mode. I think the presets will be bathroom auditorium cave, etc. I've never been happy with PC presets but maybe there is something mom might like. There might even be an EQ you can fiddle with.

This actually gives me an idea. I have an old graphic eq sitting in storage. I might try that out. I'm sure it would work better than that crappy realtek software eq.

Interesting to read the different opinions on Onkyo and Marantz. I swithed from Onkyo to Marantz due to the sound. I found the Onkyo to be flatter, almost dry(read boring). The Marantz I currently use seems more capable of bringing the music alive. I would not say harsh at all as I feel Yamaha with Klipsch is harsh or too bright.

I remember going into "Sound Advice" and them pairing Klipsh with Yamaha, drove me right out of the room.

Of course I am on of the few that perfer the 2-way over the 3-way in the KLF line so maybe that is part of the reason that I persive the Marantz as more Musical?

This actually gives me an idea. I have an old graphic eq sitting in storage. I might try that out. I'm sure it would work better than that crappy realtek software eq.

See http://www.equalify.me/ for a free Spotify equalizer.  I find that using different types of amplifiers and loudspeakers are expensive alternatives to using EQ.  This alternative is free.  Also, digital EQs typically have fewer side effects than analog units. 

Parametric EQs are actually the best to use: http://en.softonic.com/s/parametric-equalizer-software-free

I'm assuming that she is using a PC and not a Mac.

The Audyssey "Reference Curve" (blue trace) for a starting point:

14dac63d_b994134d_vbattach218668.jpeg

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1